Welcome to The Hand Lettering Forum!
This is an interactive Bulletin Board on the topics of Sign making, design, fabrication, History, old Books and of coarse Letterheads, Keepers of the craft. The Hand Lettering Forum features links to resources, sign art history, techniques, and artists profiles. Learn more about Letterheads at https://theletterheads.com. Below you'll see Mchat has been added as a live communication portal for trial, and the Main forum Links are listed below.

No news?

Hand Lettering topics: Sign Making, Design, Fabrication, Letterheads, Sign Books.

Moderators: Ron Percell, Mike Jackson, Danny Baronian

erik winkler

No news?

Post by erik winkler »

Seems to me that nobody has some news to share.
Am I not the only one who can not share interesting things anymore due to disclaimer issues of certain people?
I just can't believe that only these few great things have been explored besides the few posts we have seen these 8 months.
Goldprices have been high, but I for instance had many other things on my agenda.
Let me know what has been in your thoughts.

Greetings from the Netherlands
Realizing we are in the 2nd renaissance of the arts.
Learn, copy and trying to improve...
Still in the learning phase ;-)
Amsterdam Netherlands
www.ferrywinkler.nl
www.schitterend.eu
www.facebook.com/Schitterend.eu
Larry White

Re: No news?

Post by Larry White »

Just finished up that "Daniel Webster Cigars" sign that I posted
the vector art of over in the ODM post....was gonna post a
picture of it after I got it framed.

Did up some art work for a "Keep Your Loving Brother Happy" sign....
started that yesterday.

Been havin' some mental health days on Thursdays, for any one
willin' to come over.

Been teachin' Stubby Preston a few things.

Did some glue chip tests.

Silvered a bunch of pieces for Charlie Dickinson.

Oh ya.....I sold four of my signs off my website, and the guy's talkin'
about a couple commission pieces.

Is that enough news for ya?

Aho from California!

Dan Seese

Post by Dan Seese »

Larry,
Congrats on selling the pieces off your website!
Everything you do is a piece of art - and you know me well enough to know I'm not a flatterer. I just don't understand how you turn out the volume of work that you do - most of it seems like it's just for the love of the craft. I'm glad you've found someone who sees the value of your art.

Erik - I'm not sure what you mean by the "disclaimer issues of certain people" but I don't personally have much to share. I'm going to order some gold today, despite the high price. I haven't checked in on the forum as often as I used to. Things are creeping along here. Enough to keep my head above the water but nothing terribly noteworthy.

Just checking in.

Aho from Colorado!
Dan
"The lyf so short, the craft so long to lerne."
Geoffrey Chaucer (c. 1340 - 1400)

http://DanSeeseStudios.com
http://www.DanSeeseStudios.com/blog/
http://www.facebook.com/DanSeeseStudios
erik winkler

Post by erik winkler »

Larry I knew I could count on you, bussy as allways too.
Really good news you have this deals.
Dan, tell me what are your plans with the goldleaf?
Going to make luxery bonbons or stepping up higher on your creativity scale? ;-)

I just came back this weekend from the German city of Würtzburg where there was a mayor symposium of reverse glass painting.
Two days packed full of lectures and resume's of reverse glass restorations.
I met Frances Federer there who has been engraving gold on glass for 30 years now.
Lots more to tell for later I guess...
Amsterdam Netherlands
www.ferrywinkler.nl
www.schitterend.eu
Anthony Bennett

Post by Anthony Bennett »

That sounds great Erik, did you get any photos please?
Kent Smith

Post by Kent Smith »

The news is that with the slow economy here in Northern Colorado, we have been barely getting enough small, boring jobs to keep the bills paid. The reality is that in order to have enough income, we have taken on an over-abundance of tiny jobs which keeps us more busy than when we have a few good projects in process. The net result is that we have nothing interesting to share much less time to do so. I hope everyone else is doing better than this.
erik winkler

Post by erik winkler »

Larry, what kind of glue chip tests did you do?

Dan, very interested what you will come up to.
Photo's would be appreciated.

Kent, same here, maybe in not as big in the states, but still pretty scary.
As you might know after dealing with all the bad investment loses our banks had made in the American housing market we lost a huge ammount of money.
Now Lazy countries who do not have the working spirit are downgrading the value of Europe and giving us a very bad future.

But....... if there is no work, there is time!
So I got into the car and drove to Germany and here are some pictures of the trip:
1 Symposium hall in the Residentz.jpg
1 Symposium hall in the Residentz.jpg (110.47 KiB) Viewed 30858 times
2 Exhibition piece.jpg
2 Exhibition piece.jpg (75.99 KiB) Viewed 30845 times
3 Restoring WOII bombed artworks.jpg
3 Restoring WOII bombed artworks.jpg (106.56 KiB) Viewed 30840 times
4 Restoration results of the ruined glassworks.jpg
4 Restoration results of the ruined glassworks.jpg (92.78 KiB) Viewed 30848 times
5 Group of reverse glass painting fanatics with our guided tour through the Residentz palace.jpg
5 Group of reverse glass painting fanatics with our guided tour through the Residentz palace.jpg (129.2 KiB) Viewed 30835 times
6 Winetasting tour through the 300 year old winecatacombs of the Residentz palace.jpg
6 Winetasting tour through the 300 year old winecatacombs of the Residentz palace.jpg (89.39 KiB) Viewed 30823 times
7 City view of Würzburg from castle.jpg
7 City view of Würzburg from castle.jpg (165.28 KiB) Viewed 30836 times
Amsterdam Netherlands
www.ferrywinkler.nl
www.schitterend.eu
erik winkler

Post by erik winkler »

Here are two more:
8 My great small girlfriend Fride Wirtl the famous German reverse glass painter.jpg
8 My great small girlfriend Fride Wirtl the famous German reverse glass painter.jpg (102.8 KiB) Viewed 30834 times
9 How to make a gilded frame.jpg
9 How to make a gilded frame.jpg (70.05 KiB) Viewed 30806 times
Erik de Nederlander
Amsterdam Netherlands
www.ferrywinkler.nl
www.schitterend.eu
oatis

Post by oatis »

Erik: I ordered some gold on Thursday for six reverse glass pieces...oh, YES! The prices have risen! Your pictures show an interesting exhibition, indeed! Wish I could've seen it.

Last week I snapped a bunch of pictures in New Orleans, and visited Eve at Mystic Blue Signs www.mysticbluesigns.com
and, WOW! She was at the bench cranking out a 4X4 panel: did my heart good to drop into a straight-up working commericial shop, w/ a tasty gold job on the window and behind that, a nice assortment of display cards and other wonderments. The shop is chock-full of fantastic items for sale--and she keeps hoppin' serving a clientele who demand the real stuff. There are lettering classes in the evenings; the local colleges send their graphic design students, in order to give them a grounding in the basics.

A whole three-mile strip of Magazine Street is resplendent with Mystic Blue's work: curved iron blade signs, fascia planks, and lots of great windows....pay her a visit if you ever get to the Big Easy.

I will make sure to contribute additional news as it arises. But now...back to work!

Mark
erik winkler

Post by erik winkler »

Mark, six pieces?!! Tell me more!
Last year i invited everyone here to go when i was doing Noel Weber and John Studden their workshop. Also said it is every year so next year you will be in Germany with me.

I have seen many beautifull things in my life, but this was the second time that i feld like i was in love: heartrate in the double, warm-cold, tears in my eyes on indifferent moments, quiet for hours and then suddenly screaming on the street "oh my god!".
It was sooo beautifully overwhelming that i am still in shock.
Shall i tell what it was?......
Well?!....

It was the mirrorroom, named in German the spiegelkabinett.
Google it everybody and tell me what you think.
It was prohibited to make photographs, so I may not post my illigaly made pictures due to certain issues.

Some techniques:
1. Watergild
2. Shaded oil gild
3. Mercury mirroring (in the originals)
4. Hand painting the most beautifull details
5. Glass engraving matt and brilliant
6. Stucco borders in poliment gilded rococo style
7. Premium designs and execution

Go to Würzburg if you can...

Mark, i have been in New Orleans once but onpy remember tities dangling inside the dark bars when i was walking the main street with my parents.
Sad to say i missed out on that great institute you found.
The site looks great! Lots to learn.
Amsterdam Netherlands
www.ferrywinkler.nl
www.schitterend.eu
Dan Seese

Post by Dan Seese »

Erik,
The gold I ordered is for a dimensional HDU sign I'm doing with some surface gilding. The design isn't my own and I'm subcontracting for another sign company on the project so I won't post any pictures.

Mark,
It was interesting to look at the site for Mystic Blue Signs. I like this description:
"We use traditional methods and materials and we draw everything by hand, from logos to lettering to illustration. We hand-cut, hand-carve, hand-paint. We use wood, metal, special sign paint and sign painters' quills, flats and fitches. We use real 23 karat gold leaf sheets on signs and glass transom numbers."
Since most shops aren't located in the middle of a historic district, not everyone can position themselves this way. Nor is it necessarily bad to utilize a lot of the new technologies if done thoughtfully and responsibly without compromising good design. But it's refreshing to see a shop that intentionally is using and preserving the time-honored art and techniques.
I just had a project where I was going to reverse gild on the windows but when we discovered they had a film on the inside of the glass, needed to revert to using SignGold on the exterior of the glass. Very disappointing but that's where some newer technologies are appropriate in certain situations. (Heck, even the use of a quill is a technology - but that's a philosophical discussion for another time.)
Dan
"The lyf so short, the craft so long to lerne."
Geoffrey Chaucer (c. 1340 - 1400)

http://DanSeeseStudios.com
http://www.DanSeeseStudios.com/blog/
http://www.facebook.com/DanSeeseStudios
Cezary Suchowierski

Post by Cezary Suchowierski »

I would like to share some photos from recent Gold Leaf workshop in Boise ,Idaho.Three days only but ,what a great experience....
Attachments
IMG_2588.JPG
IMG_2588.JPG (78.59 KiB) Viewed 30699 times
IMG_2528.JPG
IMG_2528.JPG (73.71 KiB) Viewed 30677 times
IMG_2581.JPG
IMG_2581.JPG (69.61 KiB) Viewed 30690 times
IMG_2559.JPG
IMG_2559.JPG (72.66 KiB) Viewed 30698 times
IMG_2522.JPG
IMG_2522.JPG (82.69 KiB) Viewed 30678 times
IMG_2521.JPG
IMG_2521.JPG (85.34 KiB) Viewed 30688 times
IMG_2515.JPG
IMG_2515.JPG (85.18 KiB) Viewed 30669 times
Mike Simpson

Post by Mike Simpson »

I was there also. Great class and some really talented people to get hooked up. When I get my projects finished I'll post pictures for an appraisal. I' m really excited about what I learned, the exposure and contacts made. The class just made me all that more appreciative of the skills and talents of all of you artists. Thanks to Noel and John for an exciting and informative 3 days. Good pics Cezar!!
Mike Simpson
picture framemaker and artist
http://www.mikesimpsonart.com
cam bortz

Post by cam bortz »

Erik, I visited Wurzburg a year ago and have seen the reverse-gold glass panels in the Residenz; they are truly magnificent. I envy you your attending a seminar there. As for work, my shop has been fairly busy despite the down economy; you can see some of this year's projects on Facebook (Finest Kind Signs). Mark, now I want to visit New Orleans again and stop in at Mystic Blue Signs. Sounds like my kind of place.
erik winkler

Post by erik winkler »

A must see, maybe the most beautifully decorated glass panels ever.
It is to be seen in a room named the 'Spiegelkabinett' wich is fully packed with glass panels, framed in gilded roccoco framing.
This room can be found in the Residentz palace in the north Bavarian city of Würzburg.

Short history found on wikipedia: "As a result of a devastating air raid on March 16, 1945, the Residence was almost completely burnt out and only the central building with the Vestibule, Garden Hall, Staircase, White Hall and Imperial Hall survived the inferno, their roofs destroyed. From the attic the fire ate down through wooden ceilings and floors, and all the furnishings and wall paneling which had not been stored elsewhere were devoured by the flames. Much of the furnishing and large sections of the wall paneling of the period rooms had been removed in time and thus escaped destruction. Neumann's stone vaults withstood the collapse of the burning attic. However, because the roofs had gone, further damage was incurred in the ensuing period due to dampness. In the Court Chapel, for example, the most of the ceiling frescoes by Rudolph Byss succumbed to the subsequent consequences of the fire in spite of the intact vault and had to be laboriously reconstructed.
From 1945 to 1987 the building and its interiors were reconstructed to their current state. The rebuilding cost about €20m Euros".

The wall decoration of the Mirror Cabinet, completed between 1740 and 1745 and the most precious interior created in the Würzburg Residenz under Prince-Bishop Friedrich Carl von Schönborn, was completely destroyed in the bombing raids of 1945. Based on a preserved mirror fragment, numerous photographs and a watercolour by Georg Dehn (c. 1870/73), the entire room shell was however recreated between 1979 and 1987, using the old techniques. This reconstruction, together with the rescued furnishings, gives visitors an idea of the overwhelming effect originally produced by what was perhaps the most original example of interior decoration in the Würzburg rococo style.
spiegelkabinett.jpg
spiegelkabinett.jpg (46.81 KiB) Viewed 30393 times
Detail of the painting on the wall of the Mirror Cabinet.
Mirror cabinets are found in numerous German baroque and rococo palaces. They are usually panelled rooms with inset mirrors, carvings and stucco-work, where porcelain was frequently displayed.
The walls of the Würzburg Mirror Cabinet, however, consisted entirely of glass panels, which were prepared on the back using a special technique: either paintings were produced on the partially recessed mirror ground, or drawings were engraved into a gold ground that was applied on the back of the mirror and then underlaid with dark gloss paint. By this means, instead of displaying Oriental porcelain figures in front of the mirrors as was customary, a rich array of exotic figures and scenes could be incorporated directly into the mirrors.

Press this link
3D view of the Spiegelkabinett

Here a link for the Residentz on Google maps: Residentz on Google maps
Amsterdam Netherlands
www.ferrywinkler.nl
www.schitterend.eu
Anthony Bennett

Erik,
Thanks for that 3 d link.
Absolutely breath taking.
Larry White

Post by Larry White »

Looks like this one might just be my next project....
lloyd-and-magnusweb.jpg
lloyd-and-magnusweb.jpg (161.51 KiB) Viewed 30247 times
.....a commission! :D

Last edited by Larry White on Fri Nov 04, 2011 3:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Anthony Bennett

That's a cracking find Larry.
BruceJackson

Post by BruceJackson »

Here's a few recent jobs. I'm currently doing some work on two new restaurant trams. These trams tour around the city (Melbourne, Australia) while patrons enjoy a meal and drinks. The trams are "W" class, from the 1930's, but re-built with modern running gear/electrics/ etc. I do all the outside decoration in a combination of vinyl,paint and gold, also the dimensional gilded lettering (24ct) and gilded (brass leaf) ceiling panels.

Haven't done much glass work lately. Only one kitchen splashback a couple of months ago. Also recently re-gilding an impressive carved eagle that goes on the back of a boat. It's a few decades old and being restored. Client coming to collect tomorrow!

I've been using 24ct on these couple of jobs because they are external, especially the boat, having to cope with marine.
Attachments
kitchen - 5 types of gold alloy
kitchen - 5 types of gold alloy
P7259846a.jpg (56.86 KiB) Viewed 30064 times
the tram
the tram
P7013115a.jpg (76.14 KiB) Viewed 30071 times
inside my shop, doing some 24ct onto carved acrylic letters.
inside my shop, doing some 24ct onto carved acrylic letters.
P9219881.JPG (69.04 KiB) Viewed 30043 times
P8309864.JPG
P8309864.JPG (68.22 KiB) Viewed 30039 times
schlag leaf on curved plywood panels....20 square metres
schlag leaf on curved plywood panels....20 square metres
P9219884.JPG (68.44 KiB) Viewed 30043 times
24ct with palladium...for the back of a boat
24ct with palladium...for the back of a boat
PA119903.JPG (68.46 KiB) Viewed 30019 times
erik winkler

Post by erik winkler »

No glass? Whatever...., this does look great and that is a treat to look at! Thanks.
May I ask what you used to cover/protect the brass-leaf?

Erik
Amsterdam Netherlands
www.ferrywinkler.nl
www.schitterend.eu
DAVE SMITH

Post by DAVE SMITH »

Beautiful work Bruce as always, the eagle looks amazing... Are the letters wooden or cast fiberglass?

Dave
Anthony Bennett

Beautiful work Bruce, I have never been on the trams when visiting Melbourne. But next time I will go see and maybe have the meal :D
BruceJackson

Post by BruceJackson »

Erik, the brass (schlag) is just coated with varnish...Plain old oil-based varnish. There's about 20 square meters of it in each tram. I mark up a grid on the panel as a guide for accurate leaf placement, size it, and apply the brass leaf. I found one easy way to do it, by placing the leaf onto a piece of card and line it up with the grid. Touch the edge of the leaf onto the tacky yellow size when it is in position, then slide the card out so the brass leaf lays down in place. It's quite a fast method.

I will be back onto the glass work soon. Probably picked up a job this morning, doing some gold leaf window signwriting for a restaurant. I'll wait and see if they like my price.

Dave, the letters are acrylic. solid clear acrylic. Getting flat-faced ones is easy enough with the CNC guys, but the bevel face adds a lot of hand-finishing work and makes them fairly expensive to buy. I wonder what secret project have you been working on lately? Are you going to blow us all out of the water again with your next post? hahaha

Anthony, if you come here...i sure hope you to get in touch. I'll show you around.
DAVE SMITH

Post by DAVE SMITH »

Hi Bruce. Thanks for that info mate, yes I am trying to finish up a job here which is posted called Lear, have to wait for paint to dry due to temprature change. should hopefully be done by the weekend. slow going.... Big fancy letter L and text to go with an alphabet for Edward Lear the Poet. long story but will explain once complete. cheers mate.
Dave
Roderick Treece

Post by Roderick Treece »

Hi Bruce,
Your back splash looks like it has images of trees in it ?
BruceJackson

Post by BruceJackson »

Hi Roderick, yes, it's a forest scene. As we are all aware, gold on glass is hard to photograph.

I originally did one like this about 10 years ago and I have it in my own kitchen. Here's a photo of it at this link http://www.goldreverre.com/images/splas ... hen936.jpg

I've done it 3 or 4 times for different clients. Each time I've painted this design, I change it a little. This time including using some red gold and altered the way I did the foreground foliage.
Attachments
P7259853b.jpg
P7259853b.jpg (91.96 KiB) Viewed 29826 times
DAVE SMITH

Post by DAVE SMITH »

I think that looks amazing with the gold. very nice work Bruce. great effect and different.
Dave
Anthony Bennett

Bruce,
I take it your splashbacks are made of safety glass?
I think they have to be in the UK.

How do you attach the finished piece to the wall, are they glued on or is there some secret fixing used please?
BruceJackson

Post by BruceJackson »

Hi Anthony,

yes, 6mm toughened glass with flat polished edges. It has to be able to meet safety standards which require this type. In the Australian specification, the glass splashback must be toughened and be minimum 200mm from the gas hob (naked flame). I believe it is also required to have a fire-resistant backing behind this, ie, no paper-faced plaster board.

I mount it with non-acid, mould-resistant silicone. Color choice depends on the kitchen and benchtop but may be clear, white or black.

I also mount it with an air-gap, so none of the painted backing touches the wall behind. The technique is possibly worth describing if readers haven't done this before. Remember to measure accurately and make the splashback a few mm smaller than the space. Allow for the cupboards being out of square...I like to have around 2mm gap on all sides
------------------------
First, put some spacers on the back of the panel...this can simply be a little square block of card/plastic/wood or a spacer made from 2or 3 layers of double-sided foam tape. You want it to be at least 3mm....the ideal is maybe about 5-6mm gap. It needs this air-gap to stop moisture and liquids from gathering and wicking behind it, causing delamination of the backing paint.

Put the splashback on the benchtop in position, sitting on some clear plastic spacers to raise it 1-2mm.

Lean the top edge forward and squeeze a few blobs of silicone on the back, keeping it along the edges of the panel. I don't put any silicone near the centre, because it makes it nearly impossible to remove the panel in future, if that is ever required.

Push the panel up into position and press it until the double-sided tape grabs, or the blobs of silicone hold it. Cut the clear plastic spacers along the base, and apply a bead of silicone all around the edges, squeezing it well into the gap. Be slightly generous with the silicone. You don't want to skimp on this.

Get yourself a silicone scraper...If you don't have one, you can use an icy-pole stick...or unwanted credit card with the rounded corners....what you need is the slight radius of the corner to form the shape of your beading.

Squirt a mix of detergent and water over the raw silicone beading, and scrape it into a nice smooth finish...This should happen in one pass along that entire edge....don't work it. if you need to smooth part of it out, spray on some more detergent and swipe with your scraper again.

After each pass, wipe off the excess silicone from your scraper onto some scrap paper before doing the next edge. Job done and you will look like a pro glass installer...Hope this helps.

Now...i didn't really want to take over this post with my work or silicone 101....hopefully someone else will show us your current work and take it off this little tangent.
erik winkler

Post by erik winkler »

Thanks Bruce for that ste[ by step.
Where do you place your air gap?
I can imagine if you would place it on top the moisture from cleaning will collect through the hole on the the bottom...

I did some Handlettering a while ago.
Working on an old Dutch handlettering script that was used for centuries in the cafe's in Amsterdam.
Practise at home
Video 1
Video 2
Video 3

Hanging on the ladder was difficult.
Handlettering with a stretched arm and no possible way to use a mahlstick did not made it easier.

Client was happy.
Amsterdam Netherlands
www.ferrywinkler.nl
www.schitterend.eu