Welcome to The Hand Lettering Forum!
This is an interactive Bulletin Board on the topics of Sign making, design, fabrication, History, old Books and of coarse Letterheads, Keepers of the craft. The Hand Lettering Forum features links to resources, sign art history, techniques, and artists profiles. Learn more about Letterheads at https://theletterheads.com. Below you'll see Mchat has been added as a live communication portal for trial, and the Main forum Links are listed below.

Lear

Hand Lettering topics: Sign Making, Design, Fabrication, Letterheads, Sign Books.

Moderators: Ron Percell, Mike Jackson, Danny Baronian

erik winkler

Re: Lear

Post by erik winkler »

Ofcourse it useless to write here that the panel looks amazing, because every dumpass knows it IS amazing (even me 8) ).
Realizing we are in the 2nd renaissance of the arts.
Learn, copy and trying to improve...
Still in the learning phase ;-)
Amsterdam Netherlands
www.ferrywinkler.nl
www.schitterend.eu
www.facebook.com/Schitterend.eu
DAVE SMITH

Post by DAVE SMITH »

Thankyou Erik.
Dave
BruceJackson

Post by BruceJackson »

Amazing is it? Hmmm....It's OK I suppose...

A bit overblown. Smacks of try-hard-ism. Too many bloody curly bits! Makes me wither to have to fight through so much decoration. The textures and finishes are a bit ho-hum...We've seen it all before Dave. Same old etch, same old cutting, same old gold. Pearl inlays and blended shadows? give me a break.....Stop wearing out the same old path with the mock-Victorian salute to a dead era. Give us something to get excited about.

So...is my knife too sharp?...Nah!...Just offering Dave some constructive criticism to help him progress from enthusiastic student to journeyman....(b@stard! hahaha)
Dan Seese

Post by Dan Seese »

Dave,

You've outdone yourself, again - despite all those bothersome curly thingies.

Wish I could see it in person. I would love to see the other letters of the alphabet as well. I'm sure there are a lot of creative approaches. But there's nothing like gold on glass, especially when designed and executed with your multi-leveled skills and talent. What a joy to see it.

Here's to seeing you do many more projects for appreciative and well-endowed clients.

Dan

P.S. Still putting that Smith Tip to good use here.
Dan
"The lyf so short, the craft so long to lerne."
Geoffrey Chaucer (c. 1340 - 1400)

http://DanSeeseStudios.com
http://www.DanSeeseStudios.com/blog/
http://www.facebook.com/DanSeeseStudios
Robert Schwieger

Post by Robert Schwieger »

Hello Dave,

Again, simply sensational. Question: Do you use a stop-line or mask to contain the blended shades? Thanks for your kind advice. Bob
Bill DeBekker

Post by Bill DeBekker »

Brutal Bruce,,, Just Brutal :shock:

Master Dave,
You really need to do some Training DvDs for us Poo Slobs that can't make it England to learn. Classroom in a book/DvD sorta thing..
BruceJackson

Post by BruceJackson »

Hi Bill,

Brutal?...yeah, a bit...I know sarcasm doesn't always work online......but you have to remember. Dave is a pom...and I'm a colonial....So it is in our cultural heritage to be able to get away with high praise dressed as dismissive insult...hahaha....he'll know it's a mark of my admiration.
DAVE SMITH

Post by DAVE SMITH »

Just back from Liverpool after 2 days of fitting glass to find some well deserved colonial banter. Bill once a pom beats an Aussie at Rugby especially a world cup game they will never get over it ( cultural heritage ) does play a big part here . I will admit though I did find your last post full of humouras sarcasm Brutal Bruce, made me laugh! from now on I am sticking to Helvetica medium uppercase black outlined with water gilded centres, at least then it will be readable. and I promise no scrolls... now on the otherhand the next few photos you will find funny especially trying to cut off a one inch piece of half inch glass because someone measured the panel wrong and then having to put the whole panel behind a tinted piece of glass due to fire regulations, what has become of this world( health and safety gone mad).... may as well have just used double sided gold foil vinyl... lol . Thanks Bruce

Dave
Last edited by DAVE SMITH on Mon Nov 21, 2011 10:51 am, edited 2 times in total.
DAVE SMITH

Post by DAVE SMITH »

Robert. The stop line ( black in this case) is hand painted first and then I brush blended over it with the greans once it was dry, no masks just good old fashioned signwriting.. Thanks Bob.

Dan. thanks ,glad to hear your still using the Smith Tip. I could never get on with it and still just gild normally... ha ha

Hope your well mate and busy. miss those people at the Conclaves.. good times in Wilmington..
Dave
DAVE SMITH

Post by DAVE SMITH »

Well this was the home for the Lear piece. All this work and finally hidden behind a nice piece of tinted glass but hopefully not for long.
Luckily the glass did not break when these guy's started to decrease the size of it after a wrong measurement was given to me at the start, funny thing is I asked the people who were paying for this to measure the openning three times just incase. always measure twice and cut once they say... not this time round.. should of driven there and measured it myself. Hopefully this will be moved after Christmas the back painted in a chosen colour with a possible gided boarder and then frames in Mahogany and put in a place within the building to show it full glistening potential....

Dave
LearLiverpool-700.jpg
LearLiverpool-700.jpg (197.4 KiB) Viewed 9095 times
LearLiverpool-out-side-700.jpg
LearLiverpool-out-side-700.jpg (189.98 KiB) Viewed 9095 times
lear-cut-4.jpg
lear-cut-4.jpg (149.01 KiB) Viewed 9091 times
cutting down the glass
lear-cut.jpg
lear-cut.jpg (133.75 KiB) Viewed 9094 times
and the tinted smoke screen that hides the work
lear-tint3.jpg
lear-tint3.jpg (123.43 KiB) Viewed 9093 times
lear-tint.jpg
lear-tint.jpg (128.23 KiB) Viewed 9091 times
nice hey! shows up really well.. not!
erik winkler

Post by erik winkler »

What an idiots....
We know how it should look.
Realizing we are in the 2nd renaissance of the arts.
Learn, copy and trying to improve...
Still in the learning phase ;-)
Amsterdam Netherlands
www.ferrywinkler.nl
www.schitterend.eu
www.facebook.com/Schitterend.eu
Patrick Mackle

Post by Patrick Mackle »

I'll bet the man that ran that glass cut fell into the nearest pub for a pint!
Pat
On closer look, I see it was laminated glass as well. Add another pint! :wink:
DAVE SMITH

Post by DAVE SMITH »

Pat. He was confident and realised the work that had gone into the panel, and your right laminated glass cut from both sides set fire to meths on the length of the panel to stretch it ,at which point if left too long can crack the panel, he was stressed but was hiding it well. In the picks his mate is cutting through the laminate which was pretty thick. The plan now is to go back take it out ,bring it back ,paint the back and frame it and get it up on the wall in the museum to be viewed at the correct height without a smoked piece of glass in front . Luckily when I was there the client who I had never met agreed that this should happen and that they have the funds to cover the extra work...
Dave
Duncan Wilkie

Post by Duncan Wilkie »

Geez, that makes my stomach turn Dave. Kind of like watching a surgeon doing your vasectomy.
Okay, that analogy was a bit rough, quite unlike the finished project here which is stunning. Any idea of how many hours you've got in this? I have the attention span of a gnat, anything more than 2 or 3 days on a project and I'm spent.
Thanks sincerely, once again for sharing the process and the ensuing masterpiece.
DAVE SMITH

Post by DAVE SMITH »

Hi Duncan. I have roughly four weeks work in the panel including making the design, I was not working on it every minute of the day but certainly a good portion of it.
Thanks
Dave