Welcome to The Hand Lettering Forum!
This is an interactive Bulletin Board on the topics of Sign making, design, fabrication, History, old Books and of coarse Letterheads, Keepers of the craft. The Hand Lettering Forum features links to resources, sign art history, techniques, and artists profiles. Learn more about Letterheads at https://theletterheads.com. Below you'll see Mchat has been added as a live communication portal for trial, and the Main forum Links are listed below.

What Pounce Powder Do You Use?

Hand Lettering topics: Sign Making, Design, Fabrication, Letterheads, Sign Books.

Moderators: Ron Percell, Mike Jackson, Danny Baronian

Doug Fielder

What Pounce Powder Do You Use?

Post by Doug Fielder »

Hey,

I was wondering what type and what color pounce powders everyone is using. Also, are there people that still use pounce wheels instead of electro-pounces (exclusively, not for emergencies on site).

My colors are Red, now Black and Blue and they are charcoal dust and chalk line powder. So far, so good.
I use an electro pounce given to me by Harry Henkel whom I apprenticed under for 3 years.
Doug F.
FALLOUT Grafix
Port St Lucie, FL

Formerly from NJ, Formerly from VT,
Formerly from SF, CA, Formerly from NC,
Formerly from CO, FINALLY settled in FL!
Mike Jackson
Site Admin

Post by Mike Jackson »

Doug,
We use black charcoal powder in a Hand-See box, along with another Hand-See box with spanish whiting or talc. We usually have an old t-shirt filled with blue chalk line powder. On occasions, we use rouge or cerrium oxide.

Mike Jackson
Mike Jackson / co-administrator
Golden Era Studios
Vintage Ornamental Clip art
Jackson Hole, WY

Photography site:
Teton Images
Jackson Hole photography blog:
Best of the Tetons
Bill Masters

Post by Bill Masters »

I use a 40% mix of black charcoal powder and 60% blue chalk line powder in an old t-shirt, you still get a black pounce but it wipes of easier.I use a electro ponce, pounce wheels only on the job site when I forgot to pounce a line or two.
Jack Lowry

Post by Jack Lowry »

I use charcoal dust, a very fine white chalk [unknown supplier, was pated to me by Gerald Coppenger, and old time sign man from the Dallas, Texas area who passed away in the 90's] and blue chalk line dust. Also, I mix about half charcoal and white chalk for some colored surfaces.

I use an electro pounce for some jobs, I installed a re-o-stat on it to fine tune.

I still use the "wheel" for wall patterns and large letters just fee better with something I can see when the sun is so bright on a wall.

I usually have a large covering of brown pattern paper over the metal for my elector-pounch so it will pop larger holes.

....aw its fun to watch the electro-pounch travel up the build up of pencil carbon on my triangle towards my finger, so keep them clean. :lol:
Jack Lowry
LOWRY SIGNS
Lake Brownwood, Texas
325-784-5058
alan johnson

Post by alan johnson »

Hi Doug, I use Hansee wht. powder or charcoal powder in an ole sock tied in a knot. And a fine tooth wheel never had a electro pounce , but then I don't have to worry when the power goes out either :lol: Keep warm.
"Maintain"
Ken McTague

Post by Ken McTague »

I use Hansee black and Johnson and Johnson baby powder for white, in the old wooden hansee boxes.
curt stenz

Post by curt stenz »

One time I was lettering a tractor miles away from the shop and I forgot to take the charcoal. I found some cigarette butts and some ashes in an ashtray, gathered some up and had enough to transfer the pattern.
Curt Stenz