Welcome to The Hand Lettering Forum!
This is an interactive Bulletin Board on the topics of Sign making, design, fabrication, History, old Books and of coarse Letterheads, Keepers of the craft. The Hand Lettering Forum features links to resources, sign art history, techniques, and artists profiles. Learn more about Letterheads at https://theletterheads.com. Below you'll see Mchat has been added as a live communication portal for trial, and the Main forum Links are listed below.

Info about Pinhead RaceTrack? Storys, Rules, Dolly Partons?

Hand Lettering topics: Sign Making, Design, Fabrication, Letterheads, Sign Books.

Moderators: Ron Percell, Mike Jackson, Danny Baronian

Sven Lynch

Info about Pinhead RaceTrack? Storys, Rules, Dolly Partons?

Post by Sven Lynch »

Quite a long time ago I was at a Pinstripe Meet somewhere in Minnesota (of was it Wisconsin ?) can't remember the name of the nice host of the event either. I believe he was a retired fireman ... I got a lift to the meeting from Carole Bersin.

It was a small meet and though I have trouble remembering certain details .. it was an unforgeable experience as Dick bird showed up which was an honor to meet such a legendary Painter. And it was also luck that I was able to view an old relic from the Pinhead early days. The host had squirreled a famed Pinstripe race course, which had been retired due to structural failure in the rhythm section or as I was told the " Dolly Partons " :) I am pretty much sure it was called the Pinhead 500 or something like that ?

I have searched a bit on google but have not found anything about the track, So I figured I would write here in hopes to dig up some stories and info on the track and how the lines where judged and if there where any suggestions on was to conduct a pinstripe race ?

The reason for my interest is that we are planning to build a pinstripe drag strip for our up coming yearly pinstripe meet here in Sweden. I hope to have a good set of rules and a good system of judgment to insure accurate results.

Here are some photos from last years event VSKD's Kustom Pinstripe Paint Off !!

http://vonsven.com/modernstudio/curbsid ... -and-jive/
Lee Littlewood

Re: Info about Pinhead RaceTrack? Storys, Rules, Dolly Partons?

Post by Lee Littlewood »

Hi VonSven,

I'm sorry to say I don't know the specifications for a p'stripe racetrack, but somebody must.
We had a lovely one at "LetterReign" in 1994but I don't know who made it. We kept it in our shop until we moved in '07 and it went to a local striper. I hear he wants to pass it on, so if anybody out there is interested in a 4'x8' fiberglased racetrack, reply here.
Jim Moser

Re: Info about Pinhead RaceTrack? Storys, Rules, Dolly Partons?

Post by Jim Moser »

We had a road course on a 4x8 sheet of plywood in Northern California quite a few years ago..... I haven't seen it in quite a while. When we started, the contestants were judged on line quality with time deducted for each mistake.... after a while the quality gave way to speed as guys started adding things like automatic transmission fluid to the paint so that it would flow better and they would not have to stop and reload the brush. I would suggest that you just build whatever kind of track you want and make up rules that you feel appropriate....
Life is much too important to be taken seriously