Welcome to The Hand Lettering Forum!
This is an interactive Bulletin Board on the topics of Sign making, design, fabrication, History, old Books and of coarse Letterheads, Keepers of the craft. The Hand Lettering Forum features links to resources, sign art history, techniques, and artists profiles. Learn more about Letterheads at https://theletterheads.com. Below you'll see Mchat has been added as a live communication portal for trial, and the Main forum Links are listed below.

Renewing your driver's license?

Hand Lettering topics: Sign Making, Design, Fabrication, Letterheads, Sign Books.

Moderators: Ron Percell, Mike Jackson, Danny Baronian

Mike Jackson
Site Admin

Renewing your driver's license?

Post by Mike Jackson »

I saw Pat Mackle's birthday is today. Happy Birthday! Mine is tomorrow. Ouch!

A month or so ago, I got a long letter telling me my driver's license would be up for renewal in February and there were some new changes inplemented by Homeland Security. More documents are needed now. I renewed my Post Office box a month or two ago and it was almost as bad.

To get my new license, I had to supply:
1. My old driver's license...I've kept it current in Wyoming for 26 years
2. My original birth certificate.
3. My Passport with my address and photo.
4. A copy of my vehicle registration with my address on it.
5. A copy of a recent mortgage payment with my address on it.
6. My recent Social Security statement with my social security card number on it.

I don't think this is a Wyoming only set of requirements, so when it is your time, be prepared! I'm good for another four years now.

Here's a link to the state by state requirements:
http://www.usa.gov/Topics/Motor-Vehicles.shtml

Mike Jackson
Mike Jackson / co-administrator
Golden Era Studios
Vintage Ornamental Clip art
Jackson Hole, WY

Photography site:
Teton Images
Jackson Hole photography blog:
Best of the Tetons
Mark Summers

Re: Renewing your driver's license?

Post by Mark Summers »

Wonder what is prompting this? The obvious; illegal aliens?
Colorado says:
Applicants may provide one of the documents listed below if it contains the applicant's current address:(The list of documents as mentioned) to take effect by April 4th.
I'm sure we'll here more about this new law.

Mark
pat mackle

Post by pat mackle »

Hi Mike,
And Happy Birthday to you also.
Now you have me worried. My late mother had my original birth certificate, God only knows what became of it, and I never thought much about it till today. Yikes! they might send me to Mexico if I can't find it. I could be deported or something. I guess technically, they would have to ship my arse back to Ireland!
Just yesterday, I was chattin' with a VNam vet in front of the VFW across from me about the simple freedoms we have lost through the years. Just the little things, but when you add them up, it's a bit unnerving.
I have a lot of old trucks, it is not practical to keep the registrations and insurance up on all of them. Once in a while for a few hours I would park one on the street while I worked on another. BUT I can no longer do that because the local police cars now have roof mounted scanning cameras that will alert the police on an unregistered vehicle.
I never had a brother when I was younger, and now at 61 I have a BIG BROTHER.
Pat
Ron Berlier

Post by Ron Berlier »

Happy Birthday to both of you guys. Dosen't time fly by even faster now than ever before? :mrgreen:

Dosen't seem right that all of us 'legal' folks are the ones who are inconvenienced to scrounge around to find the required documents just to drive. Must be an awful lot of folks out there without licenses. :( Mike, perhaps after 26 years DMV thought you were no longer an eligible citizen. I mean, hey, after 26 years you could have been born somewhere else, right?
Ron Berlier
Wherever I go, there I am.
Joshua Stewart

Post by Joshua Stewart »

Ugh this can be a drag, when I was abroad for a long time I got a local license which has to be renewed every 10 years..... For some countries it lasts a lifetime.