Welcome to The Hand Lettering Forum!
This is an interactive Bulletin Board on the topics of Sign making, design, fabrication, History, old Books and of coarse Letterheads, Keepers of the craft. The Hand Lettering Forum features links to resources, sign art history, techniques, and artists profiles. Learn more about Letterheads at https://theletterheads.com. Below you'll see Mchat has been added as a live communication portal for trial, and the Main forum Links are listed below.

glue chipping...........

Hand Lettering topics: Sign Making, Design, Fabrication, Letterheads, Sign Books.

Moderators: Ron Percell, Mike Jackson, Danny Baronian

Mike Jackson
Site Admin

Re: glue chipping...........

Post by Mike Jackson »

Here's an experiment everyone should do initially. Sandblast a 1ft x 1ft piece of glass and mix up the proper amount of glue for one square foot of coverage. Pour it on evenly and let it flow out. Check the thickness of the glue when poured and still wet. Use this thickness to establish how much glue "should be" on all future pieces.

On actual glass projects, there will always be borders and graphic elements that are not covered with glue. The amount of Non-Chipped area affects how much glue you should mix up and cover in the sandblasted areas. Right?

So, if you can consistently apply the "correct" amount of glue, based on the first experiment, you should to be able to get a reliable chip in a reasonable amount of time. When we squirt glue out of the bottle using the asphaltum method, the goal is to apply a layer of glue similar to the poured glue experiment.

Good luck,
Mike Jackson
Mike Jackson / co-administrator
Golden Era Studios
Vintage Ornamental Clip art
Jackson Hole, WY

Photography site:
Teton Images
Jackson Hole photography blog:
Best of the Tetons
Doug Bernhardt

Re: glue chipping...........

Post by Doug Bernhardt »

There you go....the light table is the trick and a great addition. Mine doubles as a work bench. Mike....(the voice of reason) has also hit it. We always seem to be in such a panic to get the job done we forget to try things out on something other than critical work....I've seen that on all sorts of things, from glass to wood glues. I have a yard out back with all sorts of tests going on.....especially clears although I hate to mention that.
Attachments
e-chipping table1.jpg
e-chipping table1.jpg (89.23 KiB) Viewed 1501 times