Welcome to The Hand Lettering Forum!
This is an interactive Bulletin Board on the topics of Sign making, design, fabrication, History, old Books and of coarse Letterheads, Keepers of the craft. The Hand Lettering Forum features links to resources, sign art history, techniques, and artists profiles. Learn more about Letterheads at https://theletterheads.com. Below you'll see Mchat has been added as a live communication portal for trial, and the Main forum Links are listed below.

Lincoln Highway mural number 21 - Sauk Village, IL

Hand Lettering topics: Sign Making, Design, Fabrication, Letterheads, Sign Books.

Moderators: Ron Percell, Mike Jackson, Danny Baronian

Jay Allen

Lincoln Highway mural number 21 - Sauk Village, IL

Post by Jay Allen »

Number 21 is about to be installed in Sauk Village, IL

This one tells the story of how the indian trails across our nation turned into paths and then into roads . . . and how sharing of the road often saw livestock blocking a vehicle's progress. The original photo didn't have a car in it so I superimposed one over the original photo in PhotoShop.

35 hours to paint the pictorial - including cleaning of the brushes. I thought that was pretty swift . . . but most take 65-85 hours - so I'll just be thankful trees paint quickly!! This was a warmer color palette than I've used previously - and matches one Bill Hueg used on the Crest Hill, IL mural.

As always, mural panel engineering and border work by the stellar Joe Marshall . . . my design and paint.

Step-by-step link here:
http://s442.photobucket.com/albums/qq14 ... =slideshow

As an aside, the project was just awarded second place in the Signs of the Times 2012 International Sign Design Contest. It was entered as separate projects as per their suggestion - but the judges saw that they were all a part of one project and awarded it as such . . . I agree with that. It is a 'project'. That's the second award for the project and I couldn't be more tickled about that . . . But hey, the world ends in December according to those wacky Mayans, so who the . cares? ;)
bob gamache

Re: Lincoln Highway mural number 21 - Sauk Village, IL

Post by bob gamache »

Nice job Jay & congratulations!
Bob Gamache
Tony Segale

Post by Tony Segale »

you're handling that brush very well, Jay.
Great job.
Let us know when the last one goes up, may be time for a road trip!
and he took that golden hair and made a sweater for baby bear.
http://www.tonysegale.com
http://www.tonysegale.wordpress.com
Jay Allen

Post by Jay Allen »

Tony . . . that compliment means a lot coming from you, sir. You've been at this far longer than me. Thank you so much. But really, didn't I have the very best instructor? Hard to deny that . . . Huegy is simply amazing. You should see the 32" x 146 foot mural he did for our new Conservatory here in Rockford. Breathtaking . . . He's unreal.

Bob G, thank you also. Nothing feels better than pleasing another artist or designer . . . It doesn't validate who I am - it just means I am supported.

Like winnin' the lottery . . . :)
erik winkler

Post by erik winkler »

Looking very good again Jay.
Tried to brush some lines myself and it is even more difficult then I thought.
Practise practise like you mentioned earlier...
May I be so bold and to ask you a close up of your detail; would be very interesting to see what the level of detail your brush strokes are.

Erik
Realizing we are in the 2nd renaissance of the arts.
Learn, copy and trying to improve...
Still in the learning phase ;-)
Amsterdam Netherlands
www.ferrywinkler.nl
www.schitterend.eu
www.facebook.com/Schitterend.eu
DAVE SMITH

Post by DAVE SMITH »

Amazing work Jay! Always great to see your style.
Dave