Welcome to The Hand Lettering Forum!
This is an interactive Bulletin Board on the topics of Sign making, design, fabrication, History, old Books and of coarse Letterheads, Keepers of the craft. The Hand Lettering Forum features links to resources, sign art history, techniques, and artists profiles. Learn more about Letterheads at https://theletterheads.com. Below you'll see Mchat has been added as a live communication portal for trial, and the Main forum Links are listed below.

Gettin' with the times....

Hand Lettering topics: Sign Making, Design, Fabrication, Letterheads, Sign Books.

Moderators: Ron Percell, Mike Jackson, Danny Baronian

Larry White

Gettin' with the times....

Post by Larry White »

Jenco says I gotta break out of my old school ways and get
with the times. Keeps tellin' me, "Times change Mr. Blake,
most folks change with 'em."

Well, a few holdouts never do.

He says, I ain't even posted my latest piece on Facebook,
and that I don't even have a Wall Jewelry page. Says I need
to start a Blawg, report my every move, get folks to subscribe.

Says I need to get a cell phone so I can Tweet. Now he says
I gotta do Pintrest.

....PINTREST!?!...oh for pity's sake. Does all this cyber junk really
pay off in the end anyway? I just don't think I have it in me, all that
time behind the life sucking eye. Rather be puttin' gold to glass, truth
be told...

You gonna do all that BS to try and make a buck?

Smith seems to show up around every corner...
ya, like he needs more work....

.....I oughta be home in Mecca, pickin' dates or
something....

Last edited by Larry White on Mon Mar 05, 2012 12:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tyler Tim

Re: Gettin' with the times....

Post by Tyler Tim »

Well your more updated then I... I don't have a Facepage or do Mybook or whatever it is. I don't know anything about or even think my phone will tweet. :shock:
Sure I paint thing for my amusement and then offer them for sale. A brushslinger could whither en die from lack of creativity in this plastic town my horse threw a shoe in. :shock:
Tony Segale

Post by Tony Segale »

Everybody's gotta be somewhere.
and he took that golden hair and made a sweater for baby bear.
http://www.tonysegale.com
http://www.tonysegale.wordpress.com
Mike Jackson
Site Admin

Post by Mike Jackson »

Hi Larry,
Our kids have grown up with computers in their hands and now cell phones that act like computers. That's the way of the future, whether we want to embrace it or not. That group will soon be the bulk of our buying public.

I'd say the answer to your question is whether you are busy right now, or maybe as busy as you would like to be? Most of the social networking sites are essentially creating connections with other people, both personal and business. It is easy to blow a bunch of time on those sites, but there are certainly strategies for using them to your advantage.

http://www.photoshelter.com/mkt/researc ... tographers
This is a free download at Photoshelter. Even though it is focused on photographers, the information is fairly portable to the sign industry.

Cheers,
Mike Jackson
Mike Jackson / co-administrator
Golden Era Studios
Vintage Ornamental Clip art
Jackson Hole, WY

Photography site:
Teton Images
Jackson Hole photography blog:
Best of the Tetons
DAVE SMITH

Post by DAVE SMITH »

Larry. I think Tony is right on the nail. If you promote your self on these sites more folk will see your work, I will admit I also find it a pain sometimes and would would rather be pushing a brush or laying some gold but by doing this it will bring in a tremendous amount of work. You need to pick out the best jobs and not try to do everything once it does come in. it's impossible anyway to do everything work wise. If you want to lay more gold and get paid for it promote yourself on these sites, spend some time setting it up, I like what Mike has sent , thats a starting point right there. Look back at Rawson and Evans when they made the catalouges for there clients, do you think if they were here today they would be all over the net? dam right they would, they would be everywhere! Sit yourself down at night and spend one hour on the computer promoting what you do,share links, post links, it well pay off, if people think that your posting too much and showing off your work then those people are the jealous one's ,ignor them, you don't need them Larry. Show off what you do and reap the rewards! at the end of the day you need to put food on the table and if you can advertise youself for free to the world then why not. It's your portfolio for the future. Go For it!

Good luck with it all.

Dave
Tony Segale

Post by Tony Segale »

ok, here's another tip...
I took another workshop a few years back from Alyson Stanfield. She wrote a book called "I'd Rather Be in the Studio". The book and the workshop are focused on marketing so we can be productive in the studio. When it was over, all I wanted to be is back in the studio. But, I also started to see other artists starting to get a bit more exposure, and artists I met, seemed to be out there for the world to see, making contacts. Alyson just released a second version of her book, and it gave better tips for the social networking thing, how to do it right and save time. I'm not there, yet, but I plan to be, and when I have the link ready, you can sign up for my newsletter.

Here is Alyson's link...
http://artbizcoach.com/index.htm

Everybody's gotta be somewhere.
Tyler Tim

Post by Tyler Tim »

Tony.. Mike and Dave

I know your info was pointed towards Larry. I feel like such a Neanderthal when it comes to all the advances in social media and net workings as a whole. I guess I need to check my blinkers and step on the gas.

Thanks
Sure I paint thing for my amusement and then offer them for sale. A brushslinger could whither en die from lack of creativity in this plastic town my horse threw a shoe in. :shock:
DAVE SMITH

Post by DAVE SMITH »

Step on it Tyler! it's there for the taking and it's all free! how much was it to pay for an add in Yellow pages?

Good luck mate.
Dave
Tony Segale

Post by Tony Segale »

Tyler,

here is an analogy I keep reminding myself...
I used to have a shop with a nice storefront, gold leaf window, colors, etc.
I've been working out of our home now for 15 years, still wondering how much work I might have missed without that storefront.

But, today, I see more and more storefronts that are closing, and a few are marketing online with their specials..
through social networking. They post a deal and within a day or two their customers, who are fans on their biz page, are in the store
taking advantage of that offer.

We need to think our potential clients are more than those who drive by.
My loyal clients are still the best, they can be fans on my sites, referrals are great, now the whole world is able to see our work
and those who refer us, and we can acknowledge other great talents.

In a nutshell, it's a global storefront.
Mike Jackson
Site Admin

Post by Mike Jackson »

Pinterest has an interesting game plan. In their agreement, they make people agree they are the owner of any copyrighted material they post, and they put the burden of any lawsuits that may arise on the backs of the people submitting the images. But, they also say that by submitting images that end up on their servers, THEY have the right to sell and redistribute the images.

Besides the obvious potential for copyright infringement, the whole thing is weighted against the photographer because they discourage the photographer from using their site to self-promote. That means most of the photos on there are posted by someone else they got from somewhere else.

Mike Jackson
Mike Jackson / co-administrator
Golden Era Studios
Vintage Ornamental Clip art
Jackson Hole, WY

Photography site:
Teton Images
Jackson Hole photography blog:
Best of the Tetons
bob gamache

Post by bob gamache »

Mr White.......For what its worth........I know you love that old remington, it works well and shoots straight & it will do the trick most of the time.........but It might be time to break out that high powered uzzi you have hidden in the trunk in the barn. See if it works for you. Cant hurt. Its worth a shot.

'Out of site, out of mind'...............
Bob Gamache