Welcome to The Hand Lettering Forum!
This is an interactive Bulletin Board on the topics of Sign making, design, fabrication, History, old Books and of coarse Letterheads, Keepers of the craft. The Hand Lettering Forum features links to resources, sign art history, techniques, and artists profiles. Learn more about Letterheads at https://theletterheads.com. Below you'll see Mchat has been added as a live communication portal for trial, and the Main forum Links are listed below.

Gettin' with the Modern Times: Web Presence 101

Hand Lettering topics: Sign Making, Design, Fabrication, Letterheads, Sign Books.

Moderators: Ron Percell, Mike Jackson, Danny Baronian

Robare M. Novou

Gettin' with the Modern Times: Web Presence 101

Post by Robare M. Novou »

For some of us on this site, confusion abounds about the Web 2.0 and what it's all about. So here to help you through the fog and find your place in the scheme of things is what I have been learning since returning to the classroom to learn about "Social Media".

First Things First. You need a Command Center. A place you call home. On the internet, it's known as a website.
This is where all roads lead back to. This is the space on the internet that you control, This is your storefront. This is your stage. Once you have a Command Center, then you can branch out from there.

You can create a Facebook Page with links back to your website.

You can post video's on YouTube, with links back to your Website.

You can create a LinkedIn Account, with links back to your website.

You can create a Twitter Account, with links back to your website.

You can post photos of your work on Flickr, with links back to your website.

You can join a hand lettering forum, with links back to your website.

You can create a blog, with...you guessed it, links back to your website.

You can create and sign up with all kinds of social media sites, but they all must link back to your website or place of command.

So what is it that you are really doing by doing all this...you are leaving a trail or hopefully a lot of trails back to the homepage of your Website. Your Website is where you will have it all...those other places on the web are just bread crumbs of you and your contact information. If people are really interested in what you do and want to know more...they will click your homepage link and voilà!

An example of this that you might relate better to, is Billboards. Billboards are for the most part advertisements of goods and services located somewhere else, sometimes quite far away.

So go to all the social media sites...and put up the biggest billboard you can that directs traffic back to your site. And don't worry about MADSP...Mothers Against Dumb Sign Painters. Because they don't exist in Cyberspace.

My next sermon from the keyboard will be: Web Presence 102
That is where I will type about what to call yourself so that you will show up in search engines.
To get you thinking about it...type your name, and just your name, first name and last name in the Google search box.
See how many times you do or don't show up. We will discuss ways to increase your presence if you don't have any or have very little.

Thanks for letting me bend yer ear and open your eyes.
What's On Your Book Shelf ?

http://www.milwaukeesignworks.com
joe cieslowski

Re: Gettin' with the Modern Times: Web Presence 101

Post by joe cieslowski »

Thanks Robare!

I have a very weak and outdated site that generates very little activity. I've gota feeling your little, informative posts just get me off my butt and begin to take advantage of the WWW.

Looking froward to your next post.

Thanks,

Joe
Makin Chip$ and Havin Fun!
Mike Jackson
Site Admin

Post by Mike Jackson »

To get you thinking about it...type your name, and just your name, first name and last name in the Google search box.
Ha...trying searching for Michael Jackson on Google! I might show up on about page 7000! :)

Looking forward to the rest of your posts.

I think many of us have been on this same mission for a while now.
Not long ago, Kodak filed for bankruptcy protection. They apparently didn't see the shift away from film to digital soon enough and continued on with their old products and ways of doing business until it was too late. Darla and I were talking about how Toyota had pioneered hybrid technology and wondering why Subaru hadn't jumped on board yet? The old watch shops are pretty much all gone. Bill Hueg used to hand paint pictorial billboards, and he was great at doing them, but now they are almost all printed. Magazines are getting thinner and Internet content is exploding.

Times are changing fast for us, too, and we need to adjust the way we do business based on the way buyers are doing business. While we try to focus this forum on the core of the sign business, I think these kinds of threads are equally as important as which brush to use for lettering the glass on window storefront. Of course, we want to continue to see those discussions, too. Joe needs to do another carving step by step! tap...tap...tap! :)

Photoshelter has a blog discussing Pinterest. While not exactly the same as the sign business, you might get some insight on something sweeping the Internet:
http://blog.photoshelter.com/2012/02/he ... t-for-you/
There are two parts to that blog. Just click the link at the bottom to continue.

If people here are finding ways of successfully marketing themselves using social media, I think we should definitely encourage the discussions. Of course, I am only one of the administrators and we can adjust this if too many people are turned off by it. The other possibility would be to create a separate category at the main page. I always liked having everything in on spot.
Mike Jackson / co-administrator
Golden Era Studios
Vintage Ornamental Clip art
Jackson Hole, WY

Photography site:
Teton Images
Jackson Hole photography blog:
Best of the Tetons
Mark Summers

Post by Mark Summers »

So Robare, any chance you are hooked up to some or most of these. i.e. Facebook,
Linkedin, Twitter, Flickr? Just can't help but wonder how many are really involved
with these social medias and their net results. Also wonder just how much
time people might spend on those accounts being socially media hip.

Mark
Danny Baronian
Site Admin

Post by Danny Baronian »

I need to figure out how to capitalize on this!

Typed in Danny Baronian and was on every link for the first seven pages and 90% of the eighth.

Typed in Baronian Mfg and was on every link the first six pages.

Now if I can figure how to get 5 bucks for everyone clicking on a link, I might make some money off this medium!

Danny
Danny Baronian
Baronian Mfg.
CNC Routing & Fabrication
http://www.baronian.com
Robare M. Novou

Before I start in on Web Presence 102. I want to address some of the issues that a few of you have brought up.

1. I understand that this is a "Hand Lettering" Website. I am very glad it is. I'm not here to change that. Long Live theletterheads.com! But what good is learning a trade if you can't promote it and make money at it. This is not idle chit chat. This is your fight for survival. If you don't want to learn how to work with all the new and "FREE" options available to you...Then go stand in line behind Mr. Kodak down at the welfare office. This is your wake up call...and I am providing it FREE of charge.

2. I am not a paid spokesperson for any of the sites I mention. I get nada...I'm lucky if I get a meal at the end of the day. I am not the guru of what I am preaching. I am a full time student that happens to have a few "in the know" faculty friends down here at the campus. They are the ones that I talk to and learn from. We are in daily discussions on how to work the new social media. I too was in a fog and confused by all these options and where they fit in for us here on the forum. I have distilled it down to the basics so that you to can understand it. So that it makes sense to you. I'm trying to strip away all the extraneous fluff that has been spewed at you. Stuff that is written in book after book on social media and still no body understands it. I have some of those books...can't wait to burn them.

3. I concur with what Mike Jackson has been saying about the changing ways in which business is now done and or being converted to. And that change is on going at an even more accelerated rate than most of us can understand.

4. I don't mind it Mike if you want to make this a permanent post at the top of the this forum.

5. If you are going to question the new norm...then just do nothing, and see what that nets you.

6. Dave Smith subscribes to using the new norm in a big way....he's gonna need a bigger net.
And some of you secretly long for the small fish he throws back.

I'm glad some of you took up the challenge to Google your name. I will be checking them to see if the results you report are accurate.

If you have not signed up on the other social media sites, don't do it until you've read the Web Presence 102 article that I will post later tonight.

Thanks for letting me bend you ear back to the upright position.
Last edited by Robare M. Novou on Thu Mar 08, 2012 2:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mark Summers

Post by Mark Summers »

So many people into the social media. Never gotten into the Facebook idea.
Looking back, don't think I will. Your info is owned by the internet.
The new norm? Very interesting concept. Is it really necessary is my question.
I will wait to Robare's next post.
An architect just left my shop. Doesn't own a computer. Draws everything
by hand. Doesn't even own a cell phone. Can't help but wonder if maybe we
have been seduced by all of this effort considered the 'new norm'.
I may just reel in some of this stuff. If I never Twitter I think I can live without it.
Facebook is topped out and looking for new people. Maybe people will just lose
this trendy idea.

Mark
Robare M. Novou

Mark, your personal information may have been on the internet long before you got on. You can thank your local, state, and federal government for that. If I want to check out your property value and the taxes you pay on it. I would head on over to your county assessor's office website. From there I can check out a whole plethora of online information about you, alive or dead. And it doesn't matter if you are online or not, other sources are online.

I too have an architect customer that does it all by hand. Pain in the behind when he gives me large formant paper drawings that I have to redesign in the computer for output. Then he complains when it takes me 3 days to digitize his stuff. He's old and set in his ways. He does have an email account. So he's not totally in the dark.

Embracing Change, especially the new media, is not just our problem...it's even a problem at the campus I attend.
More than half of the faculty have their feet planted in the past and rely on the old media ways to get things done.
The students have their feet in the present and the future. And as Mike Jackson stated, his children, who have embraced the new media and the new ways of getting things done are going to be the majority of the consumers in the future. And if you are not on-board with how they shop and spend their money...you will be left behind or out of the picture completely.

My faculty friend who is pushing 50, like a lot of us here, spends some of his time bringing other and older faculty members up to speed on all this new media, and how to use it. He helps clear the fog there, and I hopefully help clear the fog here.

The computer is not going away...and neither is the new social media. It might change due to advances, but it will always be there. And no, you do not have to participate. And not to worry If you do participate, because you don't have to spend hours and hours wasting away on those sites posting, blogging, and updating. Once you are set up, you only have to come back to it once or twice a week to update your status. If you use Hootsuite.com, you can update all your links from one location and all at the same time. So you can spend more time in the studio. More on Hootsuite.com in Web Presence 103.

I remember when the talk was about hiring your young family members to sweep the floors and take out the trash...all for a tax break and because you didn't want to do it. So now take that thinking and apply it to hiring one of your tech savvy children or significant other to do your social media for you. Make your Family Members your Marketing Department!

A family that markets together, stays together.

Tyler Tim

Post by Tyler Tim »

This is good stuff and a real help to those of us that drug our feet. So Robare which of the sites would be the best to set up home base at seeing as you said Free.

Looking forward.
Sure I paint thing for my amusement and then offer them for sale. A brushslinger could whither en die from lack of creativity in this plastic town my horse threw a shoe in. :shock:
Robare M. Novou

Tyler, I'm glad it's good stuff. And that you are learning a thing or two on the use of FREE Social Media, so am I.

A Website or Command center may or may not be FREE. It depends on were you set it up.

Your Website is the mainland, good ole' Terra Firma.

The Social Media Sites are just networking islands.

These islands are clusters of like minded folks that may or may not have an interest in what you do and what you sell.

Like I stated before...Think Strongly about Links. Links that go back to your website from the social media islands.

These links can also go from Social Media Site to Social Media Site. This is know as networking.

Would you want to set up your Website or Command center on a social media site?
You could, Facebook lets you set up a business page once you have set up a personal Facebook account.

Give it a try and see how it works out for you. You get to be the canary in the coal mine, the pioneer into the wild wild west of social media website hosting. Then report back to us on your findings.

Me personally I would Code my own website to the way I want it to look verses using the limited templates and selections of FREE Web hosting sites that spam your FREE site with all sorts of dumb advertising. That's why it's Free, they get to move in an sponge off you.

I would prefer to pay a hosting company to host it. And a pay a separate DNS (domain name server) to list my domain name / web address. That way I'm not held hostage by the hosting company...as some hosting companies will register your name...but they retain the rights to it. So you can't take your website to another cheaper hosting service...in other words, you're stuck.

Mike Jackson
Site Admin

Post by Mike Jackson »

Tim, and all,
You asked about a web server and DNS. Check out Network Solutions. At one time, they were about the only place you could register a domain, but there are tons of them now, like GoDaddy and TuCows. Some offer really low intro domain registration prices, and some are third party registrars for the other bigger companies. I've had service with a lot of different domain host, and when it is good, it is good, but anything goes wrong, goes down, or needs support, you just about can't get help.

This site is hosted by Canaca.com. When I signed up originally, they were based out of Canada. The site says they have a toll-free support line, and in fact they do have an 800 number, but when you call it, you get a recorded message telling you to submit a support ticket online. But, of course, I didn't find that out until I needed help. Since originally signing on with them, all tech support has been moved overseas and the best I can say is their support is lousy. Seldom do they fix an entire issue at one time, especially if it has more than one step. And, if you come to this site, like last night, the BB is occasionally down. They don't fix the problem until either Danny or myself sees the problem and sends them an emergency note. I had originally registered some of my other domains with them, too. It took forever for them to give up the codes to let me move them, and in fact I had to eventually call their toll free SALES number to get to speak with someone to force the changes.

I write all of this to highlight the differences in service and customer service you can get. Network Solutions has live technical support and every time I've needed it, they stay on the line with me until the problem is fixed. And, every one of them have been more than friendly and always well trained. It might cost a little more, but I can tell you it is worth every penny to get a good service. Robare is correct. You want to register your own domain name so you own it forever, or until you give it up. It only costs around $10-$12 to register a new domain, then about that same amount yearly to keep it registered. When I first started, it was closer to $100 to register and another $35 per year to keep it. You can register a domain in a few minutes, then wait until you are ready to actually start using it. DotCom (.com) domains are tough to find that aren't already registered, but I still think they are best. There are all kinds of other suffixes, like .net, but most people are used to hearing http://www.tetonimages.com, theletterheads.com and not .org. I also suggest not using a hyphen or underscore as it is a pain to try to explain when you are giving out your URL. Like....signs-by-tomorrow.com. Keep searching until you find one without the extra characters. Otherwise you'd have to say "signs dash by dash tomorrow.com" the rest of your life.

Find a host or use the same company. Network Solutions will host your site and also has templates for setting up a generic site. They also offer web site building services. Currently, I used Photoshelter for my photography site. I costs me $30 per month and their customer service is equally good. I get quick response and can talk with a live support person.

Hope this helps. It comes from someone that has dealt with the issue for way too long!
Golden Era Studios
Jackson Hole, WY

Photography site:
Teton Images
Best of the Tetons
Tyler Tim

Post by Tyler Tim »

Robare I understand nothing is free and always looked a gift-horse in the mouth so to say. And that's the big thing about all this... what's the catch with FB and alike they get something out of the deal. To many seem to just go with the flow cause everyone's doing it... and leap before looking.

I've been looking about and asking question for a bit and the amount of info flung at you can make your eyes hurt. So the info your distilling is appreciated. I've heard don't have your Domain Name and host be the same company and heard it's fine to run with one company.

Mike is Golden Era parked at Network Solutions?
Or are they just a good place to get your feet wet?

Thanks Tim
Sure I paint thing for my amusement and then offer them for sale. A brushslinger could whither en die from lack of creativity in this plastic town my horse threw a shoe in. :shock:
Mike Jackson
Site Admin

Post by Mike Jackson »

This site is still part of my package at Canaca.com with GoldenStudios.com as the billing address. TheLetterheads.com and HandLetteringForum.com are sub-domains under GoldenStudios.com. To be able to forward or redirect TetonImages.com to Photothelter, I had to pull it from Canaca and took it to Network Solutions. This was after close to a month of emails back and forth to Canaca. Network Solutions has my site redirected in one phone call. I'd move this site to Network Solutions if it weren't for the forum being on Canaca. I'd have to pay someone to move all the mySql database files and help set them up at the new site. That's way over my head.

Mike Jackson
Golden Era Studios
Jackson Hole, WY

Photography site:
Teton Images
Best of the Tetons
Robare M. Novou

Mark,

I am on Facebook, Twitter, and LinkedIn. I am not on MySpace, but then again, who is?

As we go along on this web presence issue, we will explore in more detail all those sites, how to navigate them, and if they are even relevant to us sign makers.

I do have an experimental Blog going which is my class project for this semester. It's there in place of my future website. Which should be up and running in two months. But who knows, I may keep it or start another blog more geared toward signage which I can then link to my website. Keep an eye out. Because as I develop my website, I will be posting on this forum how it's going. And that way you can learn right along with me, mistakes included.

I am a forum member at unfiction.com, Which is an "ARG" site (alternate reality gaming). I am not a video gamer, but I do participate in a good "ARG" once in a while. These are not the shoot 'em up type of video games you maybe thinking of.

These ARG's are usually centered around an up coming movie or product....be they 6 months or a year away. They are more like brain teasers that you have to solve to be able to get to the next level. Along the way there are games, hidden clues, codes and images to decipher, free swag and rewards. The movies have signage that I check out. and the products have cool graphics that I enjoy looking at and collecting for my "morgue" files. I also get to interact with people from around the world, much like this forum.

They should invent some sort of QSL card for internet users. *Note to self, Internet QSL cards could be next big thing! Move over FaceBook.

I don't play "Angry Birds" or any of that other garbage.

"ARG's" are also an education into the new social media and how it is used by people, especially young people, who are quickly becoming today's adult consumers. You don't want to miss that boat.

I have shunned not just the smart phone, but any cell phone, for silly health reasons....I don't want my ears to fall off.
I will carry a cell phone when on a trip and use it sparingly or in an emergency.

If you are a member of some social media site that needs a mention here, please post it. And if possible do a little research on it so that you can give us a little 101 about it.

Remember, to keep your butt in the studio, but your thumb on the pulse of social media.