Welcome to The Hand Lettering Forum!
This is an interactive Bulletin Board on the topics of Sign making, design, fabrication, History, old Books and of coarse Letterheads, Keepers of the craft. The Hand Lettering Forum features links to resources, sign art history, techniques, and artists profiles. Learn more about Letterheads at https://theletterheads.com. Below you'll see Mchat has been added as a live communication portal for trial, and the Main forum Links are listed below.

Summerland Beach Cafe

Hand Lettering topics: Sign Making, Design, Fabrication, Letterheads, Sign Books.

Moderators: Ron Percell, Mike Jackson, Danny Baronian

Danny Baronian
Site Admin

Summerland Beach Cafe

Post by Danny Baronian »

In visiting our son in Carpinteria, CA, a few miles south of Santa Barbara, we occasionally stop in Summerland, at Summerland Beach Cafe for breakfast or lunch.

We always enjoy the visit, looking out at the ocean, or checking out the walls. I have no idea who did the work, or how long it's been up, but it's been there for many years.

Look carefully at the second picture, a close up of the first. Pencil sketches were done directly on the walls, and left on the wall whether the paint covered them or not.

It's nice to see the original sketches under the finished art. Very nice work.
Attachments
1-chef.jpg
1-chef.jpg (337.43 KiB) Viewed 2386 times
2-chef_detail.jpg
2-chef_detail.jpg (346.48 KiB) Viewed 2376 times
3-Hand_Office.jpg
3-Hand_Office.jpg (282.82 KiB) Viewed 2378 times
4_Small text.jpg
4_Small text.jpg (266.67 KiB) Viewed 2369 times
5_Restroom.jpg
5_Restroom.jpg (267 KiB) Viewed 2368 times
6_mouse_cheese.jpg
6_mouse_cheese.jpg (214.39 KiB) Viewed 2375 times
7_exit.jpg
7_exit.jpg (288.93 KiB) Viewed 2367 times
Danny Baronian
Baronian Mfg.
CNC Routing & Fabrication
http://www.baronian.com
Mark Summers

Re: Summerland Beach Cafe

Post by Mark Summers »

Very nice to see this type of work. Faded away lettering does it for me.
A real brush person here.

Mark
Lee Littlewood

Re: Summerland Beach Cafe

Post by Lee Littlewood »

I'm impressed by using washes, letting the background show through and letting runs & drips add texture. And good lettering to boot.

Nice work on the textured stucco. I remember a small gold leaf job on textured stucco in Carmel, CA. It was (I think) a ribbon and a putti on the outside wall of the Italian grocery by the square, only a couple of inches tall. The texture of the wall under the leaf was just great. That was in the '70s; I wonder if it or the grocery still continue...
where am i? Now, when i need me...