Welcome to The Hand Lettering Forum!
This is an interactive Bulletin Board on the topics of Sign making, design, fabrication, History, old Books and of coarse Letterheads, Keepers of the craft. The Hand Lettering Forum features links to resources, sign art history, techniques, and artists profiles. Learn more about Letterheads at https://theletterheads.com. Below you'll see Mchat has been added as a live communication portal for trial, and the Main forum Links are listed below.

Recent Design Work

Hand Lettering topics: Sign Making, Design, Fabrication, Letterheads, Sign Books.

Moderators: Ron Percell, Mike Jackson, Danny Baronian

Aaron Aziz

Recent Design Work

Post by Aaron Aziz »

I'm uploading this image of my recent work for your comments, critique and criticism.
Attachments
SAI_103small.jpg
SAI_103small.jpg (38.62 KiB) Viewed 3614 times
Mike Jackson
Site Admin

Re: Recent Design Work

Post by Mike Jackson »

Hi Aaron,
First off, Nice Work! Thanks for posting it.

I'll make a few suggestions, since it appears you are asking for them.

First, I'd tweak, or reduce the kerning on the LV combination in SILVER and a little bit between the AC in ACE.

I'd probably move the filigree from between the ACE and INDUSTRIES and maybe make it smaller and put it under the arched Silver.
I'd think you'd want the reader to see ACE INDUSTRIES as more or less a single message.

It is possible you are wanting people to read this as ACE Silver Industries?...or is it Silver ACE Industries?

Going back to the kerning, think of filling the space between each of the letter pairs with "b-b"s (this is variable based on the size of the letters...could be beach balls it doing a billboard).
In the word INDUSTRIES, you can view the space between the IN combination, then let that value (number of BBs) affect the rest of the kerning pairs. If so, the space between ND is probably the same, but you'd want to reduce the space between the DU, US, TR to more or less equal the "space or volume of BBs" between the IN pair.

Give it a try and see if you think it helps!

Take care,
Mike Jackson
Mike Jackson / co-administrator
Golden Era Studios
Vintage Ornamental Clip art
Jackson Hole, WY

Photography site:
Teton Images
Jackson Hole photography blog:
Best of the Tetons
Aaron Aziz

Post by Aaron Aziz »

Hey Mike, Thanks its sure great to have the input. (the company is "Silver Ace Industries")

Aaron
Aaron Aziz

Post by Aaron Aziz »

My design after playing with some of Mike's comments.
Attachments
SAI_103csmall.jpg
SAI_103csmall.jpg (38.76 KiB) Viewed 3568 times
Mike Jackson
Site Admin

Post by Mike Jackson »

ace.jpg
ace.jpg (94.84 KiB) Viewed 3530 times
Aaron,
I wouldn't want to say either of these are "better" than your design, but are offered as alternatives.

I changed the V by replacing it with the top of the serif on the N. In the top version, the letters in INDUSTRY are the same size as before, but just spaced closer.

You have to be careful with filigrees and ornaments to keep them from overpowering the main copy. That can sometimes be adjusted by the color choices but the idea is still the same.

Good luck,
Mike Jackson
Mike Jackson / co-administrator
Golden Era Studios
Vintage Ornamental Clip art
Jackson Hole, WY

Photography site:
Teton Images
Jackson Hole photography blog:
Best of the Tetons
Aaron Aziz

Post by Aaron Aziz »

Mike, I also played with that "V" shortly after uploading some the changes you suggested.