Welcome to The Hand Lettering Forum!
This is an interactive Bulletin Board on the topics of Sign making, design, fabrication, History, old Books and of coarse Letterheads, Keepers of the craft. The Hand Lettering Forum features links to resources, sign art history, techniques, and artists profiles. Learn more about Letterheads at https://theletterheads.com. Below you'll see Mchat has been added as a live communication portal for trial, and the Main forum Links are listed below.

Sign supplier in Denver

Hand Lettering topics: Sign Making, Design, Fabrication, Letterheads, Sign Books.

Moderators: Ron Percell, Mike Jackson, Danny Baronian

Rick Janzen

Sign supplier in Denver

Post by Rick Janzen »

Good morning all. Just wondering if anyone knows of a sign supplier in the Denver area that carries brushes and sign paint, preferably Ronan. Also, here's some pictures of a pair of Gold Leaf signs I recently finished, all hand painted. Any help with a supplier would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Kent Smith

Re: Sign supplier in Denver

Post by Kent Smith »

No one carries Ronan that I know of in the Denver area, mostly 1Shot. Try Midwest Sign & Screen Printing Supply, Denco Sales or HR Meinninger Art Supplies but brush selection is minimal.
Rick Janzen

Post by Rick Janzen »

Thanks Kent, I'll check them out.
Pat Welter

Post by Pat Welter »

Hey Rixs those are grand...Are they headed for a museum display?
Creativity is allowing ones self to make mistakes. Talent is knowing which ones to keep.
Rick Janzen

Post by Rick Janzen »

Actually Pat, they're for an old fashioned Barber Shop, Straight Razor shaves and such. I also painted their logo on a brick wall that they had installed in the shop.

Pat Welter

Post by Pat Welter »

Now thats cool, really like the straight razor inside the 7.
Creativity is allowing ones self to make mistakes. Talent is knowing which ones to keep.
Mark Summers

Post by Mark Summers »

What kind of paint did you use on this brick if I may ask Rick?

Mark
Mark Summers

Post by Mark Summers »

sorry (Pat)
Rick Janzen

Post by Rick Janzen »

Not a problem Mark. I use a good quality latex house paint ( Benjamin Moore-Aura ). It works well, both for inside and outside work. I find the mid to top of the line paint works and covers best, although most of the time, the signs I paint on brick are design to look weathered and distressed. Thanks for asking.
Pat Welter

Post by Pat Welter »

No worries Mark.
Mike Simpson

Post by Mike Simpson »

Rick,
Is that sheen seen on the face of the work from glass on them or from a clear sprayed on? Beautiful work by the way. I have enjoyed looking at your website and blog. Good stuff.
Mike Simpson
picture framemaker and artist
http://www.mikesimpsonart.com
Rick Janzen

Post by Rick Janzen »

Hi Mike, thanks for the comment, glad you enjoyed my site. The shine you see is from the finish on the wood surface. I used a polyurethane wipe-on varnish (6 coats in total). It produces a very smooth reflective surface. I like to use the wipe-on because you can get that french polished look, plus you don't have to spray anything. Hey Pat, are you getting any of the rain that we're getting in Calgary? I thought I saw a bunch of animals walking by in pairs (hope I didn't offend anybody).
Pat Welter

Post by Pat Welter »

No just little teasers ...you can send it this way anytime...just been cold and windy...No ark but I heard on the radio today of a guy who's building a working replica or the titanic!!...Maybe he know something we don't? hehehe.