Welcome to The Hand Lettering Forum!
This is an interactive Bulletin Board on the topics of Sign making, design, fabrication, History, old Books and of coarse Letterheads, Keepers of the craft. The Hand Lettering Forum features links to resources, sign art history, techniques, and artists profiles. Learn more about Letterheads at https://theletterheads.com. Below you'll see Mchat has been added as a live communication portal for trial, and the Main forum Links are listed below.

A man walks into a cafe...

Hand Lettering topics: Sign Making, Design, Fabrication, Letterheads, Sign Books.

Moderators: Ron Percell, Mike Jackson, Danny Baronian

pat mackle

A man walks into a cafe...

Post by pat mackle »

So there I am, sitting at the local lunch counter talking with the owner of a "wine of the month" club about etching wine bottles. No sooner does he leave when a voice beside me says, "when I was a kid, I had a friend, Rick Glawson....
Whaaat?? I said, as I turned turned on my stool towards the voice, my mouth hangin open like it was broken. "What did you just say? Rick Glawson? Like in Wilmington?
He answered, "Well, Lawndale actually. That's where we grew up." I was still stunned. And instantly formulating questions to get to the basis of his knowledge of Rick.
"We grew up together as kids, from grade school through high school. His dad and my dad where best friends. They built motorcycles together, Harley's, at least six or more of them."
Are you telling me that Rick's dad was a biker? I asked. Did they belong to a club? "No he said. They just loved to build and ride Harleys. I never saw my dad so upset, than when his '47 Harley got stolen in the night from the front yard. He never got over that. He was so upset."
"Rick's dad would bring the three boys over (Rick, Dave, and Paul) to our house. My dad had added a big porch, and he and Rick's dad would sit out there for 10 hours sometimes."
Did you ever go to his shop I asked? "Yeah, we went down there" he said. "He was doing amazing stuff, I remember he was putting gold inside of a big glass jar, it was really neat stuff." Did you meet Lola, I asked. "Oh yes, I remember meeting her".
Did you know that Rick was also quite an accomplished wood worker as well? I asked. "Oh yes, he answered. And I am a member of the local wood carvers association in Arcadia." ( at this point, I figured both he and Rick must have had the benefit of taking wood shop classes at an early age. Something sadly lost to kids now)

There was one name that this man could not recall, another close friend and it really bugged him. I know that I also know this name, but time has pushed it back in my mind. I can however describe some things as follows: He (the name), Rick, and I spent late nights talking in Rick's shop about our wild crazy party days and signs. When both he (the name) and Rick had gotten off track in life, Lola was credited with helping them back. I am certain that he was one of "Lola's Boys". And from time to time, he would work with Rick. Now, someone here knows who I'm thinkin of, or even he himself, but I just can't nail it.
I hope by the next time I chat with this guy, he will recall some more history of Rick. I had been eating lunch at the counter with he and his wife for nearly five years and today, YES TODAY, he pops up with Rick Glawson's name. Can you believe that- 6 degrees of separation, as they say.
Pat
Pat
Roderick Treece

Re: A man walks into a cafe...

Post by Roderick Treece »

Great story Pat. You really have a gift for telling a story and writing. Thank you !
Kent Smith

Post by Kent Smith »

perhaps Victor?
Doug Bernhardt

Post by Doug Bernhardt »

Pat....although I don't get here as often as I should you gotta know how much I enjoyed this tale and appreciate the time it took to recite it. Our old buddy Rick had many sides alot of ppl don't know about...the top notch craftsman in Fine Woodworking is one of them.
pat mackle

Post by pat mackle »

Hi Kent,
Well, it turned out the name he was trying to recall was actually a friend of Elmer's (Rick's dad). And he remembered that name to be Ray Hoyt.
But as far as recalling names from Rick's shop, you did hit one on the nail, that of Victor. Among Victor's skills in Rick's shop, was doing some wheel cutting on that fancy glass lathe that Rick restored, pin striped and gilded.

Hi Doug,
I'm glad you liked my tale. I was excited to post it and though it was entertaining enough to share.
Pat