Welcome to The Hand Lettering Forum!
This is an interactive Bulletin Board on the topics of Sign making, design, fabrication, History, old Books and of coarse Letterheads, Keepers of the craft. The Hand Lettering Forum features links to resources, sign art history, techniques, and artists profiles. Learn more about Letterheads at https://theletterheads.com. Below you'll see Mchat has been added as a live communication portal for trial, and the Main forum Links are listed below.

American Sign Museum

Hand Lettering topics: Sign Making, Design, Fabrication, Letterheads, Sign Books.

Moderators: Ron Percell, Mike Jackson, Danny Baronian

Doug Bernhardt

American Sign Museum

Post by Doug Bernhardt »

Hi all....Just got back from seeing the American Sign Museum's grand opening in Cinci this past weekend, and had a few things that might be of interest.

When I was there in March to help "flesh out" the Main Street section with assorted signs of all kinds it was quite different. Display cases in various forms and stages of construction and people busying themselves with neon repairs and installations of all sorts going on.

This past weekend though, I was amazed to see all matter of things I'd only seen in trade magazines, but never in the flesh. Sample kits (and actual kits) of veterans like Steven Parish and Raymond LeBlanc displayed in these same cases. Rick Glawson,s fine collection of the Brooks sample album as well as the grand pieces of Rawson and Evans that adorned his walls those few (seem's like ages) years ago. The Brook's work was shown in a way that you could turn the pages and see them as they were produced in safe individual slots within a display case. When I first saw them, after he'd had 'em for only a few weeks, they were still in the album and were referred to as the "Rosetta Stone" of 19th century glass work.

When there in March things were organized in a way that as a whole, it was"a Team". No superstars, only hard working craftsmen/women, doing a big job on a tight schedule. Team is the operative word. A hand full of us were picked by the Butler's and Tod Swormsted to put together a concept for 1 of the buildings on the Main Street promenade. Here existing neon and "can" signs would be displayed but the rest of the building had to be "fleshed out" as it would have existed many years ago. The windows were decorated as seen fit but they were actually display cases for the many assorted items mentioned earlier. The rest of the team were work horses needed to get the "whole" done......you know "Outline this.....put a shade on that" and "after you finish with Noel Weber I could use a hand getting....." just the many this or that's done.

My part was a bar with 2 signs already for it Named Ignatz Mayer's Tavern. I got an elevation in my mail which gave me dimensions and positions of the existing signs. The rest was up to me as long as it was "family oriented" and fit the target period which in my case was mid 40's to mid 50's. After reviewing some old photos in my morgue I noticed many of the building had various other tenants on the upper floors and decided there needed to be a signshop up there. Between David and I we picked the name of old mentor and ran with it. There are a few great tribute's hidden away in there and I'll leave the many secret ones to others to discover or describe.

We roomed together and each group got to and from the site (museum to be) as a group...all with getting the job done as first priority. I bunked with Gregg Heger (Boston) and rode daily with Jeff Lang, Heger, and Gary Godby. Now.....having said all that, I'm also proud to admit that at 60 plus yrs.old, I, and a few accomplices, managed to close a pub every night, get showered (not shaved) and be at the restaurant (our daily morning meeting place) for 7or 8am everyday. I did lose my voice on the second day (thanx to 1 of my accomplices Sonny Franks) whom I'd only just met.

It would be a mistake to think this was a list of the top 22 or so in the business. I think more it was list of 22 people needed to get the job done and work as a team towards that goal. Besides....there were far too many of the "top" craftsmen/women missing for that to be the case. All said it was some of the most fun I've had in a long time with my clothes on and hope you all enjoy some of the photos here as well as make a point to see the Museum for yourselves.
Attachments
e-cinci dw1.jpg
e-cinci dw1.jpg (70.81 KiB) Viewed 10577 times
e-cinci ks2.jpg
e-cinci ks2.jpg (74.46 KiB) Viewed 10575 times
e-cinci jlgg2.jpg
e-cinci jlgg2.jpg (89.52 KiB) Viewed 10575 times
e-cinci ghgg1.jpg
e-cinci ghgg1.jpg (107.49 KiB) Viewed 10573 times
e-cinci dbks1.jpg
e-cinci dbks1.jpg (90.67 KiB) Viewed 10566 times
e-cinci db2.jpg
e-cinci db2.jpg (74.14 KiB) Viewed 10571 times
e-cinci 1.jpg
e-cinci 1.jpg (97.25 KiB) Viewed 10561 times
Doug Bernhardt

Re: American Sign Museum

Post by Doug Bernhardt »

Just a couple more photos as well as mentioning that Gary's project Pizza Shop was done in same colours that Coca Cola used to use in their outdoor advertising back in the 60's. Took me right back there in time. Also most of the photos here were from Dave McDonald who not only managed a PILE of work but some great pics as well!
Attachments
e-cinci nw1.jpg
e-cinci nw1.jpg (105.59 KiB) Viewed 10566 times
e-cincigg3.jpg
e-cincigg3.jpg (83.16 KiB) Viewed 10563 times
e-cinci2.jpg
e-cinci2.jpg (93.31 KiB) Viewed 10557 times
e-cinci 7ms.jpg
e-cinci 7ms.jpg (109.5 KiB) Viewed 10563 times
e-cinci nw.jpg
e-cinci nw.jpg (78.12 KiB) Viewed 10563 times
Last edited by Doug Bernhardt on Sun Jun 10, 2012 2:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
erik winkler

Post by erik winkler »

I hope I will be able to see the museum once....
Looks very good and reading all the special collections, it is definatly a must.

Erik
Realizing we are in the 2nd renaissance of the arts.
Learn, copy and trying to improve...
Still in the learning phase ;-)
Amsterdam Netherlands
www.ferrywinkler.nl
www.schitterend.eu
www.facebook.com/Schitterend.eu
Pat Welter

Post by Pat Welter »

Hey Doug , thanks for this...It looks absolutely wonderful, must be quite a rush to be working on something like this, doing work we all dream about or would like to see more of in our everyday work....Great to see some faces I haven't seen in a while, Mike and Dave C. and Doc, Sue and Dave...Sure looks like you all were in your element...Thanks for Posting...Pat
Creativity is allowing ones self to make mistakes. Talent is knowing which ones to keep.
DAVE SMITH

Post by DAVE SMITH »

This is just the best Doug. Great people to spend time and work with, would love to have made . Maybe next time!. good job done by everyone!

Dave
Doug Bernhardt

Post by Doug Bernhardt »

This link http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jhjQbRs96Z8 just showed up in my mail box and thought ya'all might enjoy. Paints a pretty great picture of the week.
erik winkler

Post by erik winkler »

I really enjoyed those videos Danny, thanks.
Good to see Noel again enjoying himself.

Erik
Realizing we are in the 2nd renaissance of the arts.
Learn, copy and trying to improve...
Still in the learning phase ;-)
Amsterdam Netherlands
www.ferrywinkler.nl
www.schitterend.eu
www.facebook.com/Schitterend.eu
Chris Tytler

Post by Chris Tytler »

Interesting stuff, Doug. Koffman Signs..., gee that name's familiar. ;o)
Doug Bernhardt

Post by Doug Bernhardt »

Hey Tytler....you're allowed to mention you worked for Mr. Koffman you know. Hope life is well right now.
Lee Littlewood

Post by Lee Littlewood »

So who was Mr. Koffman? I must have slept through that part of the lecture - tell all!

(and for that matter: H.C.Steiner / Jewelers ...?)
where am i? Now, when i need me...
Chris Tytler

Post by Chris Tytler »

Lee Littlewood wrote:So who was Mr. Koffman? I must have slept through that part of the lecture - tell all!

(and for that matter: H.C.Steiner / Jewelers ...?)
Hi Lee,
Harry Koffman was a sign painter here in Ottawa. Born in 1915, he started working for free to get experience and wound up as the sign painter at Freiman's Department Store until 1939 when he started Koffman Signs.
In the beginning it was war bond posters and by the early 50's the shop was producing everything from theatre sho-cards and realtor's signs to P.O.P. and gold leaf transoms. I have invoices for gilded windows back to 1955, the prices for a transom were only about $150.00-$200.00 and were almost always done "Chicago Style", Black outlines in Japan colors and full water gilded character.
Doug worked for Harry for quite some time and I worked for him at night until 1996 when I started full time until he passed away in 2006. He pushed a brush up until 2 months before he left us. and man, was he good!
He was a great, great man with a personality larger than life itself and he's sorely missed, they busted the mold when they made Herschel. The stories that came from the old shop downtown on Nepean Street are hilarious and worthy of a sitcom script. The shop was caught somewhere between 1967 and the present decor wise and we had T.V. and an old ringtone phone right 'til the end. I still work at Koffman Signs but it's under new ownership now. Harry was known for being quite crusty in his younger years as Doug recalls, but as he got older, he mellowed out quite a bit and was by far the most generous boss I've ever had. Working for Harry wasn't like work, it was like hanging out with your favorite uncle. Dougy has some great stories about "Midge" as he used to call him.
Chris Tytler

Post by Chris Tytler »

Doug Bernhardt wrote:Hey Tytler....you're allowed to mention you worked for Mr. Koffman you know. Hope life is well right now.
Hi Doug! Things are good, busy, busy ,busy!!! I owe you a visit though, maybe next week. Hope everything's cool on your end!
Doug Bernhardt

Post by Doug Bernhardt »

e-HKandDB1.jpg
e-HKandDB1.jpg (63.43 KiB) Viewed 9812 times
Chris....enjoyed your telling of the story a heap! When I look back Mark (new owner) was a "newcomer" and I guess (also looking back) I was already on my way to running my own shop....if you could ever have call it that. Harry and I worked late together for many years especially when my ex-wife and I first split. I needed the income and he needed the company (sort of). I remember distinctly the night John Lennon was murdered... working there and hearing that on the news. HK would have been watching "Wonder Woman" or "Charlies Angels" while I was as usual, glued to the FM radio station in the back of the shop. Was in a bit of a fog as I tumbled out the front door that early fall evening when a guy I would describe as an "old hippie on his way off the rails" ,there were a few other than just me in the neighbourhood then, walked past muttering "They killed Lennon you know". Was not unlike an afternoon in 1963 while was going home for lunch from Jr. school just learning JFK had also been murdered. Now how I got on to all this I have no idea....am sure my next computer will come with a breathalyzer AP to prevent this sort of ramble!!
Attachments
e-keep calm1.jpg
e-keep calm1.jpg (169.82 KiB) Viewed 9805 times
Aaron Taylor

Post by Aaron Taylor »

Truly awesome! Thanks for sharing, great to see all the sign people I look up to having a blast in there element!
Aaron
Brix Design
Chris Tytler

Post by Chris Tytler »

Thanks for posting the pics, Doug. Harry was the coolest... Spending nights working with him was always interesting. Wonder Woman..., LOL!