Welcome to The Hand Lettering Forum!
This is an interactive Bulletin Board on the topics of Sign making, design, fabrication, History, old Books and of coarse Letterheads, Keepers of the craft. The Hand Lettering Forum features links to resources, sign art history, techniques, and artists profiles. Learn more about Letterheads at https://theletterheads.com. Below you'll see Mchat has been added as a live communication portal for trial, and the Main forum Links are listed below.

Gilding a cast aluminum plaque

Hand Lettering topics: Sign Making, Design, Fabrication, Letterheads, Sign Books.

Moderators: Ron Percell, Mike Jackson, Danny Baronian

Keith Margis

Gilding a cast aluminum plaque

Post by Keith Margis »

Hi, I'm going to be gilding the raised lettering on a cast aluminum plaque. I'm pretty inexperienced with gold leaf and would appreciate any suggestions,
as far as say what carat or type of leaf to use, or should I use sealer,

The plaque is new, and has a clear coat.
The finished sign will be outdoors, in San Jose CA

Any tips will be appreciated

thanks
Kent Smith

Re: Gilding a cast aluminum plaque

Post by Kent Smith »

If the clear coat is two component then you will have issues with adhesion of the gold size if you don't abraid the surface. If it is lacquer, then be certain that it is fully sealed with no voids or cracks because electrolysis between the gold and aluminum will eat away the aluminum even with the gold size between. Use a high Karat of gold, 23 to 23 3/4 for best outdoor durability.
BruceJackson

Post by BruceJackson »

I would like to know what type of clear coat it is before giving a definitive answer. Only because I would want some confidence that the clear is a good long-term proposition, otherwise, it will end up being the weak layer.

Assuming the clear is good for outside use, you could simply do the gilding straight onto it using gold size (oil-based...for example one-shot gold size).
I suggest you dab the area with talc or some other fine powder, to stop the gold sticking where you don't want it. Blow off the excess, and paint the goldsize, wait for it to dry to a gilding tack, then gild with 23, 23.5 or 24 carat gold. For outside, the higher the purity, the better, but 23carat will still hold up well for many years.

No need for a clear sealer unless it will get a lot of handling, which i assume is highly unlikely.
Keith Margis

Post by Keith Margis »

Thanks for the response,
The clear is a two part automotive grade acrylic polyurethane,

Their Gemini aluminum plaques
Kent Smith

Post by Kent Smith »

I have had excellent success with Gemini plaques as long as the clear has cured at least 14 days.
Keith Margis

Post by Keith Margis »

Well, the plaques are arriving today, but 14 days after clear coat won't be until next Thursday?
Is it really necessary to wait that long, my installation deadline is next Saturday, and I'm not sure how long the gilding will take.

Also, should I lightly sand before applying the size?

thanks