Introduction and questions of a DIY nature

An interactive section of TheLetterheads.com

Topics include: Sign Making, Design, Fabrication, Letterheads, Sign Books.

Off Topic Posts may be deleted at the discretion of the web hosts. ABSOLUTELY NO SHARING OF COPYRIGHTED FONTS, CLIP ART, or VIDEOS!

Please take social chit-chat elsewhere!

Moderators: Danny Baronian, Mike Jackson, Ron Percell

Post Reply
Lorenzo Petersson
Posts: 33
Joined: Fri Mar 23, 2012 12:11 pm

Introduction and questions of a DIY nature

Post by Lorenzo Petersson » Mon Sep 03, 2012 4:01 pm

Hello Letterheads!

Being new and a virgin poster i thought intros were in order:
I'm Lorenzo Petersson, penfreak, graffitiwriter and fine artist turned apprentice signwriter. I've been dealing with letters and an array of related tools for roundabout 15 years and since maybe 3 years i've been practicing pinstriping and lettering with evolving results. I'm in my own apprenticeship, meaning i scrounge the web and talk to any close at hand oldtimers i can find, and then i try to ape techniques i see and learn the trade by doing it wrong. This forum is really useful for researching and learning so thanks for letting me troll around here and pick up your knowledge.
I've been putting of my intro for a while now, guess the amount of skill and the level of discussion is kinda intimidating. Not nearly as it is totally inspiring tho! But yeah, i've been wallflowering :)

Been putting off a project that involves transfering a paper design onto a wooden, basecoated surface, maily because of not being able to afford gold leaf and not having a trusty method to tansfer the design.

I've been searching for a while for a top notch method to make my own pouncebag but i'm coming up short on what to put in it. A friend gave me a bucket of cheap quality, finely ground yellow ochre pigment so i thought i'd try that in a thin sock with a bunch of cotton in it. Would you speak against it? Would you suggest some other powder to use? I've asked my local artist store for regular powder chalk but they don't have any. Ash? Drawing coal? I'm at a loss guys, glad for any help.

Thanks
L.

Doug Bernhardt
Posts: 1028
Joined: Fri Apr 09, 2004 9:29 am
Location: Ottawa Canada
Contact:

Re: Introduction and questions of a DIY nature

Post by Doug Bernhardt » Mon Sep 03, 2012 5:33 pm

Hi Lorenzo....welcome aboard. Pouce bags are probably best if you use charcoal powder or regular talcum for your dark backgrounds. You really only need a "whisp" of it so go lightly right? A heavy deposit will cause problems when you start painting. If you only have one pattern to transfer you might be best off with Saral paper. It's sort of like carbon paper and you buy it in rolls.

Lorenzo Petersson
Posts: 33
Joined: Fri Mar 23, 2012 12:11 pm

Re: Introduction and questions of a DIY nature

Post by Lorenzo Petersson » Tue Sep 04, 2012 3:03 am

Hi Doug, thanks!
Ok, ill see if i can get my hands on either of them, and i won't go postal with the pouncing, good to know.
Saral paper too, i'll try to find it. I live in sweden so i might not find the same brand though, maybe something similar?
Thanks!
Doug Bernhardt wrote:Hi Lorenzo....welcome aboard. Pouce bags are probably best if you use charcoal powder or regular talcum for your dark backgrounds. You really only need a "whisp" of it so go lightly right? A heavy deposit will cause problems when you start painting. If you only have one pattern to transfer you might be best off with Saral paper. It's sort of like carbon paper and you buy it in rolls.

Chris Fernandes
Posts: 8
Joined: Mon Feb 14, 2011 1:10 pm

Re: Introduction and questions of a DIY nature

Post by Chris Fernandes » Wed Sep 05, 2012 10:00 pm

A baby sock works well as a pounce bag.

Bob Sauls
Posts: 61
Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 4:10 pm

Re: Introduction and questions of a DIY nature

Post by Bob Sauls » Thu Sep 06, 2012 9:18 pm

Any soft cloth will do. I like to use charcoal dust in the bag I have placed a piece of steel wool in it to act as a bit of a buffer and weight.
happy pouncing.

Mike Faig
Posts: 10
Joined: Thu Sep 06, 2007 8:56 am
Location: Sevierville, TN

Re: Introduction and questions of a DIY nature

Post by Mike Faig » Fri Sep 07, 2012 2:00 pm

Not trying to hijack the thread.
Doug, I've had experience with some very old saral paper, graphite in color, leaving behind some residue. The box says it can be erased like graphite, but on 1shot it just doesn't work. Any tips?

Lorenzo Petersson
Posts: 33
Joined: Fri Mar 23, 2012 12:11 pm

Re: Introduction and questions of a DIY nature

Post by Lorenzo Petersson » Wed Sep 26, 2012 11:49 am

Baby socks, soft cloth - check! I'll try that, i'm about to bring some heavy powdercloud-justice down in the search for the ultimate pouncebag. Steel wool, i'll try that! My dad went on about grandpa using cotton as padding as well. I'm thinking a layered combo of both, and perhaps even adding a kitchen loofa for stability.

Thanks a bunch maestros!

Mike - no problem, i've got enough ideas to work with for quite some time now :)

Tyler Tim
Posts: 201
Joined: Fri Feb 03, 2012 12:12 am

Re: Introduction and questions of a DIY nature

Post by Tyler Tim » Wed Sep 26, 2012 2:48 pm

Mike Faig wrote:Not trying to hijack the thread.
Doug, I've had experience with some very old saral paper, graphite in color, leaving behind some residue. The box says it can be erased like graphite, but on 1shot it just doesn't work. Any tips?
Simple Green work well for removing lines as well as wiping a rag behind the ear for that drip ghost or other small oops.

Lorenzo Petersson have a look at the Han-see pounce pad or on ebay for quilters pounce pad.
Sure I paint thing for my amusement and then offer them for sale. A brushslinger could whither en die from lack of creativity in this plastic town my horse threw a shoe in. :shock:

Lorenzo Petersson
Posts: 33
Joined: Fri Mar 23, 2012 12:11 pm

Re: Introduction and questions of a DIY nature

Post by Lorenzo Petersson » Sat Sep 29, 2012 4:58 pm

Tyler Tim wrote:
Mike Faig wrote:Not trying to hijack the thread.
Doug, I've had experience with some very old saral paper, graphite in color, leaving behind some residue. The box says it can be erased like graphite, but on 1shot it just doesn't work. Any tips?
Simple Green work well for removing lines as well as wiping a rag behind the ear for that drip ghost or other small oops.

Lorenzo Petersson have a look at the Han-see pounce pad or on ebay for quilters pounce pad.
Hey, hi-tech stuff! If all homemaking fails this is what'll do, thanks! :)

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests