Welcome to The Hand Lettering Forum!
This is an interactive Bulletin Board on the topics of Sign making, design, fabrication, History, old Books and of coarse Letterheads, Keepers of the craft. The Hand Lettering Forum features links to resources, sign art history, techniques, and artists profiles. Learn more about Letterheads at https://theletterheads.com. Below you'll see Mchat has been added as a live communication portal for trial, and the Main forum Links are listed below.

Burberry Film

Hand Lettering topics: Sign Making, Design, Fabrication, Letterheads, Sign Books.

Moderators: Ron Percell, Mike Jackson, Danny Baronian

DAVE SMITH

Burberry Film

Post by DAVE SMITH »

Hi . Just had this film sent of some work i made for Burberry in London. It's Burberry's flagship store on 121 Regent Street. They have been established since 1856. It's an honour to be part of this team of craftsman.
Dave

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3MxLpHENuQg
pat mackle

Re: Burberry Film

Post by pat mackle »

Dave,
I liked viewing the crafts shown in this film clip. I especially caught the details of the fella making the molded details for the ceiling trims. That is quite an art in itself, and you see it all over Europe. It's amazing how they leave a thin layer of the medium on the board to make the trim molding adhere and pull from the mold and then remove the supple cast detail in one piece by shaving it off with a blade. Who thought of that?? How many centuries ago?? Pretty darn cool!! And it begs to be gold leafed, wouldn't you agree?
They guy hefting those big stone cutting wheels was also pretty cool! :D
Pat
DAVE SMITH

Post by DAVE SMITH »

I agree Pat great technique! The company are in Leeds, established 1870 and still have all the original moulds. The film guys said it was like going back in time seeing all the different carvings of flowers birds etc. Very cool indeed... hope your doing ok mate.

Dave
Lorenzo Petersson

Post by Lorenzo Petersson »

Yeah that was awesome, kinda stunned over here.
Is it me being gullible and believing the magic of television or did you actually do the two-tone gold on the glass before you gilded it, or did you do it the "regular" way by using two different types of leaf, and/or sizes?
I'm thinking etch for the matte areas first and then water gilding on top of it, but i'm basically still clueless about the finer points of the art, is that even possible?
DAVE SMITH

Post by DAVE SMITH »

Hi Lorenzo.
The matt finish was hand painted in a clear varnish and then when dry I used wirewool to scratch up the surface to bring it back to almost a frosted look, once this was cleaned I water gilded over the entire letters with 23crt gold.

Hope that helps. Thanks Lorenzo
Dave
vance galliher

Post by vance galliher »

lorenzo,
john studden has a video or mag article on this procedure dave mentioned............perhaps someone else has more info
vance
dimensional and glass art signs
http://www.vancegallihersigns.com