Welcome to The Hand Lettering Forum!
This is an interactive Bulletin Board on the topics of Sign making, design, fabrication, History, old Books and of coarse Letterheads, Keepers of the craft. The Hand Lettering Forum features links to resources, sign art history, techniques, and artists profiles. Learn more about Letterheads at https://theletterheads.com. Below you'll see Mchat has been added as a live communication portal for trial, and the Main forum Links are listed below.

Gold Leaf Backing Paint Issue.

Hand Lettering topics: Sign Making, Design, Fabrication, Letterheads, Sign Books.

Moderators: Ron Percell, Mike Jackson, Danny Baronian

Tim Bond

Gold Leaf Backing Paint Issue.

Post by Tim Bond »

I am working on a reverse window gold leaf job and I used black one shot with a little hardner to do the outlines with. I trimmed it the next day and the paint felt quite strong. After a 3 day dry time I went to do a mild wash of the glass before laying the gold and with a moist wad of cotton and a couple of light swipes the outline pretty much just came right off the glass. The glass is a light tint and tempered. I have never had this happen before and am stumped. I thouroghly cleaned the glass prior to outlining with cake Bon Ami 3 times. Would anyone have any idea what happened and what paint I might use that may be better suited for outlining and backing.

Thanks
Tim
BruceJackson

Re: Gold Leaf Backing Paint Issue.

Post by BruceJackson »

sounds mysterious.

next stage, I would probably try a couple of tests strokes using some other types of paints just to see if the problem lays in the glass or with the paint.

For another suggestion, it might be worth giving it a chemical clean using strong solvent such as acetone, then give a Bon ami scrub (I prefer to use whiting...but same same), rinse and try painting again.
John Studden

Re: Gold Leaf Backing Paint Issue.

Post by John Studden »

On a large job we did recently all the glass was cleaned with cerium oxide using a jitterbug sander with a felt pad, this will give a good "tooth" to the glass....One shot these days is no good for that application, Back up black also would not last with the UV eventually turning gray........... Try using something like nazdar fast dry enamel black with a little hardener, that is a pretty hard combination & should work well.....
Good Luck
John Studden
Valencia Signs, California