Welcome to The Hand Lettering Forum!
This is an interactive Bulletin Board on the topics of Sign making, design, fabrication, History, old Books and of coarse Letterheads, Keepers of the craft. The Hand Lettering Forum features links to resources, sign art history, techniques, and artists profiles. Learn more about Letterheads at https://theletterheads.com. Below you'll see Mchat has been added as a live communication portal for trial, and the Main forum Links are listed below.

Transfering calligraphic skills to the brush

Hand Lettering topics: Sign Making, Design, Fabrication, Letterheads, Sign Books.

Moderators: Ron Percell, Mike Jackson, Danny Baronian

john

Transfering calligraphic skills to the brush

Post by john »

I'm new to The Hand Lettering Forum. I've been a calligrapher for 25 years and have recently become interesting in learning to transfer this skill to the making of signs. I'm interested in painting on all kinds of surfaces, from tin to wood to glass. I've made a couple barnwood signs using acrylic, as well as One Shot. Can someone help me get started with the basics?

Thanks.
John
Mike Jackson
Site Admin

Re: Transfering calligraphic skills to the brush

Post by Mike Jackson »

Hi John,
First, welcome to the Hand Lettering Forum! I am sure you will be rewarded with a lot of useful information from a well rounded group of artists and craftsmen.

Second, please do us all a favor and go into the User Control Panel and add your last name to your user name (as requested in the regisistration steps). That lets us all know who we are speaking with, along with the fact there are several "Johns" already here.

Lastly, I have a feeling you are already 90% there as far as learning to use lettering brushes on traditional sign substrates. Many of the strokes are essentially the same and all of the letterforms are the same.

You might want to be more specific in your question. Are you needing help coating out a panel with the right paint and primers? Or, needing to know where to buy the right brushes and paint? Or, needing to know how to make a pattern off one of your designs?

The more refined the question, the responses will also be more focused on your needs.

Cheers,
Mike Jackson
Mike Jackson / co-administrator
Golden Era Studios
Vintage Ornamental Clip art
Jackson Hole, WY

Photography site:
Teton Images
Jackson Hole photography blog:
Best of the Tetons
Chuck Davis

Re: Transfering calligraphic skills to the brush

Post by Chuck Davis »

John,

I'm just the opposite. I learned calligraphic letterforms after I learned to paint signs.

I think what you may find most difficult, is to learn to retain that hand lettered appearance at larger sizes and while double-stroking your letters. Because usually, when you are doing calligraphy, the stroke of the letter is created with a single (very well practiced) stroke that makes it appear effortless.

But with signs, it is nearly impossible to accomplish a larger letter with a single stroke. Especially on a rough surface.

Some guys use the "dry brush" technique. That is, they use a very wide brush and make their stroke-- not worrying about when the paint starts to run out. Using this method, they retain that quick hand lettered feel. Then they go back and paint over that stroke more carefully (maybe with a brush half the width of the original) to make sure there are no thin areas or skips.

That said, you may actually want a dry brush look... depending on the project at hand. Certainly with calligraphy, a dry brush look is often desired.

Another method you might try is to paint the letters on a smaller scale at which you are comfortable and then enlarge them using a projector. You can create a pattern or project them directly to the surface to be painted. Then, you paint within the outlines of the letter. Again, I would recommend choosing a brush half the width of the letter stroke. Smaller than that and you will likely lose the freeform feel of calligraphy.

Hope this helps.