Welcome to The Hand Lettering Forum!
This is an interactive Bulletin Board on the topics of Sign making, design, fabrication, History, old Books and of coarse Letterheads, Keepers of the craft. The Hand Lettering Forum features links to resources, sign art history, techniques, and artists profiles. Learn more about Letterheads at https://theletterheads.com. Below you'll see Mchat has been added as a live communication portal for trial, and the Main forum Links are listed below.

Easel

Hand Lettering topics: Sign Making, Design, Fabrication, Letterheads, Sign Books.

Moderators: Ron Percell, Mike Jackson, Danny Baronian

Tyler Tim

Re: Easel

Post by Tyler Tim »

Robert

The art glass looks nice.

About the easel... whats the logic behind the floating rods? Seems it would be easier to adjust if they were fixed together on the ends.
Sure I paint thing for my amusement and then offer them for sale. A brushslinger could whither en die from lack of creativity in this plastic town my horse threw a shoe in. :shock:
Dan Seese

Post by Dan Seese »

Wow.
Robert, that is really great. Hopefully you're able to cinch down the rods securely. With the weight of glass that large it would be a mess for things to come loose.
It looks like nylon screws or something to hold the glass inside the top & bottom pivoting channels. Is the rod adjustment secured by tightening bolts holding the wood clamps together?
Ingenious. Thanks for sharing this.
Dan
"The lyf so short, the craft so long to lerne."
Geoffrey Chaucer (c. 1340 - 1400)

http://DanSeeseStudios.com
http://www.DanSeeseStudios.com/blog/
http://www.facebook.com/DanSeeseStudios
erik winkler

Post by erik winkler »

Haha Robert that is a WHOPPER!!!
Looks very rigid and professionaly made.
I do not know if it somethin for me since I am very tall (6 feet 5 inches) and looking at your setup with the glass inside I would have to lie on my belly to work on the bottom of the glass.

Having mentioned that, I would love to have your easel when I can put my glass panels horizontal in them and place them on my table top!
It would be much better then fabricating wooden frames like I do now....

Realizing we are in the 2nd renaissance of the arts.
Learn, copy and trying to improve...
Still in the learning phase ;-)
Amsterdam Netherlands
www.ferrywinkler.nl
www.schitterend.eu
www.facebook.com/Schitterend.eu
Dan Seese

Post by Dan Seese »

Robert,
That carved piece is killer.
Mucha has become so popular and often you see his work reproduced rather shabbily. You've nailed it.
Are the pictorials in the glass pieces all reverse painted or are you applying any canvas to the back. It looks to me like it is reverse painted. I know from experience how difficult that can be but it's quite rewarding when you get it right.
Thanks for the close-ups on your jig - that makes everything pretty clear.
Dan
"The lyf so short, the craft so long to lerne."
Geoffrey Chaucer (c. 1340 - 1400)

http://DanSeeseStudios.com
http://www.DanSeeseStudios.com/blog/
http://www.facebook.com/DanSeeseStudios
Anthony Bennett

Post by Anthony Bennett »

Wow, I never seen photographs on concrete before, except projected stuff.
How !!!!!!
Kelly Thorson

Post by Kelly Thorson »

I'd like to see a closer view of that carving as well as the panels. I've always been fond of Mucha, but since being at the Mucha museum in Prague, even more so.
The think I keep thinking when looking at the easel is how it looks like it protects the glass from accidental bumping. Looks like a fair amount of thought went into it's creation.
I believe there is no shame in failure. Rather, the shame lies in the loss of all the things that might have been, but for the fear of failure.
Ron Berlier

Post by Ron Berlier »

Robert, those Mucha pieces are just wonderful! I have several books with his work and from time to time page through just soaking in the details of his work. What type of wood is the carved piece? Are you planning on doing more carved pieces as well?
Ron Berlier
Wherever I go, there I am.
erik winkler

Post by erik winkler »

I do not know how Robert made his concrete, but I do know that you can paint your concrete with a black paint and then sandblast it photographicaly with a pre-exposured sandblastmask made by Pat Mackle decoglasspro@yahoo.com .
You could send your tif- or eps- pdf- jpg- files to him and within a few days receive a perfect exposured sandblast mask so you can sandblast concrete, bricks, glass or anything else you can think of photographicaly with a high resolution.
Amsterdam Netherlands
www.ferrywinkler.nl
www.schitterend.eu
Anthony Bennett

erik winkler wrote:I do not know how Robert made his concrete, but I do know that you can paint your concrete with a black paint and then sandblast it photographicaly with a pre-exposured sandblastmask made by Pat Mackle decoglasspro@yahoo.com .
You could send your tif- or eps- pdf- jpg- files to him and within a few days receive a perfect exposured sandblast mask so you can sandblast concrete, bricks, glass or anything else you can think of photographicaly with a high resolution.
Thanks for that info Erik, it made me think though, I'm in the UK and a washout film of the size of Roberts work would cost a lot of money in shipping alone.
erik winkler

Post by erik winkler »

Pat delivers it on a roll. Shipping could be around 45 dollars and it would take about 5 days.
Amsterdam Netherlands
www.ferrywinkler.nl
www.schitterend.eu
John Frankel

Post by John Frankel »

Hello Robert,

I have a couple questions for you, does your easel rotate right to left, or spin in 360 degrees, I see that it rotates up and down. I also would like to know what books or reference books that you use for Mucha. Do you make a reverse pattern of the subject matter when you make a 24" x 60" reverse glass. Could you give a detail pictures of your current Mucha art piece. So I can get a Idea what you are doing, etch, glue chipped, gilding and painted artwork.

Thank you,
John Frankel
deadmanshand.frankel@gmail.com
Dale Johnson

Post by Dale Johnson »

Can anybody tell me what Mucha wood is. I am sort of new to this and it is an unfamiliar term to me.

Thanks, Dale Johnson, Ormond Beach, FL
Tyler Tim

Post by Tyler Tim »

Dale Johnson wrote:Can anybody tell me what Mucha wood is. I am sort of new to this and it is an unfamiliar term to me.

Thanks, Dale Johnson, Ormond Beach, FL
The Wood piece above is a Mucha design.
Sure I paint thing for my amusement and then offer them for sale. A brushslinger could whither en die from lack of creativity in this plastic town my horse threw a shoe in. :shock:
Anthony Bennett

erik winkler wrote:I do not know how Robert made his concrete, but I do know that you can paint your concrete with a black paint and then sandblast it photographicaly with a pre-exposured sandblastmask made by Pat Mackle decoglasspro@yahoo.com .
Erik, I forgot to ask, do you mean a halftone when you say photographically please?
erik winkler

Post by erik winkler »

Yes that is what i meant.
A photo made of little dots: blasted or not blasted.
Pat his masks are of such high quality that computer chip makers use his resists to make their circuitboards!
Amsterdam Netherlands
www.ferrywinkler.nl
www.schitterend.eu