Welcome to The Hand Lettering Forum!
This is an interactive Bulletin Board on the topics of Sign making, design, fabrication, History, old Books and of coarse Letterheads, Keepers of the craft. The Hand Lettering Forum features links to resources, sign art history, techniques, and artists profiles. Learn more about Letterheads at https://theletterheads.com. Below you'll see Mchat has been added as a live communication portal for trial, and the Main forum Links are listed below.

Ronan's vinyl Coat for exterior banner?

Hand Lettering topics: Sign Making, Design, Fabrication, Letterheads, Sign Books.

Moderators: Ron Percell, Mike Jackson, Danny Baronian

Bob Sauls

Ronan's vinyl Coat for exterior banner?

Post by Bob Sauls »

I am giving a bid for a heavy duty vinyl banner that will be stretched to the side of an excursion boat's railings. Tough Florida sun. The client wants the banner to match the color of a sail on his other vessel. I have had excellent luck with Ronan's Vinyl Coat on differing surfaces. I was wondering if any of you have used it in harsh outdoor applications as a prep coat under a good latex paint?

This will be for long-term exposure...years at the time.
Mike Jackson
Site Admin

Re: Ronan's vinyl Coat for exterior banner?

Post by Mike Jackson »

Sorry that no one has answered your question. I can't help at all as we have never used it. Good luck with the project.

Mike Jackson
Mike Jackson / co-administrator
Golden Era Studios
Vintage Ornamental Clip art
Jackson Hole, WY

Photography site:
Teton Images
Jackson Hole photography blog:
Best of the Tetons
Bob Sauls

Post by Bob Sauls »

That's OK Mike,
I have posted the same question at Letterville and Creativesignmakers forums. Many have had excellent adhesion with
with latex paint to vinyl banners and awnings. I shall do a test first. and not look back.

I am so glad we have these forums, It is a resource our predecessors lacked.
Bill Masters

Post by Bill Masters »

Hi Bob,
I have been using a acrylic primer called Grip N Seal by Coronodo. I get it form a Ben Moor
paint store. I use in on billboard flex vinyl, also makebanners from old billboard vinyl, stick tight and stays flexable.
I use it as qa block out then use my bulliten enamels and it has held up for years with out popping.
I had a job for the concert venue here which has a large tent amphitheater that wanted the sponsor logo painted on two
10'x10' pieces of tent vinyl that they would heat weld to the tent , so I thought I would prime it with one shot tycoat
lettered it up, layed in the driveway to dry, after it dried we got rain thats when problems started the paint
wiped right off, started over and primed with Ronans version, same thing rained and paint came off.
I have had good luck with these primers before. That is when I gave Grip n Seal a try and it rained again but this time
the paint stayed and it held up even after they heat welded it to the tent, looked great for five years, then sponsors
changed so got into a lift blocked old logo out with Grip N Seal painted new sponsor and it lasted for four years till
they had to replace the tent.
hope this helps Bill
Danny Baronian
Site Admin

Post by Danny Baronian »

Bob,

FWIW, I was painting pvc w/ automotive paints years ago and had adhesion problems with various plastics and pvc. The automotive paint supplier recommended a product called Bull Dog.

They had sample in the store, a beach ball that was lightly sprayed with the Bull Dog, then painted while the beach ball was inflated. They deflated and inflated the ball numerous times, and the paint with the bull dog coat never failed.

It was designed mainly for plastic / vinyl parts, specifically bumpers and trim.

To date, when used it serves it's purpose well regardless of the type of paint used. I talked to the manufacture once, and was told it's used much like shellac, a light, single coat only.

Danny
Attachments
Bulldog.JPG
Bulldog.JPG (74.8 KiB) Viewed 6272 times
Danny Baronian
Baronian Mfg.
CNC Routing & Fabrication
http://www.baronian.com
Bob Sauls

Post by Bob Sauls »

Thanks for the info gang. Still awaiting a response from the prospect.
Chuck Davis

Post by Chuck Davis »

I'm impressed. That's some test Danny.

I can think of so many times I needed this.
I recall rolling on a coating that was just awful... used to pool up-- leaving bumps to paint over.
And it would give a slight yellow appearance over white.

This Bull Dog stuff sounds great.