Welcome to The Hand Lettering Forum!
This is an interactive Bulletin Board on the topics of Sign making, design, fabrication, History, old Books and of coarse Letterheads, Keepers of the craft. The Hand Lettering Forum features links to resources, sign art history, techniques, and artists profiles. Learn more about Letterheads at https://theletterheads.com. Below you'll see Mchat has been added as a live communication portal for trial, and the Main forum Links are listed below.

Rick Glawson demonstrating Angel Gilding

Hand Lettering topics: Sign Making, Design, Fabrication, Letterheads, Sign Books.

Moderators: Ron Percell, Mike Jackson, Danny Baronian

Mike Jackson
Site Admin

Rick Glawson demonstrating Angel Gilding

Post by Mike Jackson »

http://www.theletterheads.com/glawson/g ... lpour.html

http://www.theletterheads.com/glawson/g ... spray.html

http://www.theletterheads.com/glawson/g ... creen.html

Hi all,
Back in 1990, Rick and Lola came out to Jackson Hole for our TotemHeads Art Camp. He stayed an extra day or two after everyone left and I managed to get him to assemble my new Angel Gild kit and demonstrate it for me. I set the old video camera on a tripod and just let it run as he went through the steps of pouring the gold.

Each file above is about 4 megs. Each will take a little while to load unless you have a broadband connection, but it will probably be well worth the time. We were shooting in my old shop with less than ideal lighting and older technology camcorder, but you can at least see him go through the processes. The clips are about 8-9 minutes each.

There are three new clips:
The Pour Method
The Vertical "Spray" Method
Screen & Clean

To easliy find these pages in the future, I added links to them in the Rick Glawson Section under the Angel Gild Instruction page.
http://www.theletterheads.com/glawson/anggildinst.html

Mike Jackson
Last edited by Mike Jackson on Fri Mar 25, 2005 12:27 am, edited 2 times in total.
Mike Jackson / co-administrator
Golden Era Studios
Vintage Ornamental Clip art
Jackson Hole, WY

Photography site:
Teton Images
Jackson Hole photography blog:
Best of the Tetons
Jeff Umsted

thank you

Post by Jeff Umsted »

Mike, thank you so much for taking the time to post this. Watching this video has answered so many question and makes me want to call Sara King right now and and get busy........My brain is now going a billion miles an hour....

THANK YOU MIKE!!!!

Jeff :shock: :shock: :shock:
Jeff Umsted
Lapeer, Michigan
Mike Jackson
Site Admin

Post by Mike Jackson »

Hi Jeff,
Thanks for the vote of confidence! Over the past year or so, I have been investing in Digital video production "equipment", so it is nice to finally get some of it on line. Since the original post earlier today, I just added the other two clips.

Unfortunately, the audio and video quality of the filming wasn't that great. I was only shooting them for future reference and not for finished videos. We were using the ambient shop lighting and the built in microphone--taken in the morning of a busy day at the shop. People were coming and going with the phone ringing and the front door bell dinging. I edited out some of the sounds. Our newer Digital 8 camcorder would do a better job on the same project now.

On a side note, Rick was demonstrating in our shop in August, so even in the morning, it would have been reasonably warm. We found Angel Gilding to work best on warm summer days with low humidity. You will see the gold deposit on the glass quickly and effortlessly. Rick make a few adjustments for our high altitude on some small test pieces.

Also worth noting...these clips are done in real time (except for the drying time of the back up ink on the third clip). The glass used on the vertical piece would have been about 22" x 18" and the actual gilding area of about 11" x 18" or so. He did four gold spray steps and would probably have done another couple if necessary. The point here is to note the entire vertical spray clip is less than 9 minutes long...meaning he had it completely gilded in less than that time. By comparison, laying two layers of 23k glass leaf would certainly have taken much longer, with quite a bit more in-between time waiting for the first gild to dry and harden.

Hope everyone enjoys them!
Mike
Golden Era Studios
Jackson Hole, WY

Photography site:
Teton Images
Best of the Tetons
Raymond Chapman

Thanks Mike

Post by Raymond Chapman »

Wow...thanks for all the work you put into getting us this very special demonstration. And don't worry about the quality of the video - the best part is being able to see Rick and the steps to the process. You have captured some knowledge that will now be passed on to many others.

It was good to see Rick again, too. And he didn't have on a T-shirt. It seems that most of the time I saw him he was in a T-shirt and sandals.

You can read about the process, but being able to see it done step-by-step adds an extra dimension to the learning curve.

And it loaded quickly on my DSL hook up. Just like everything else you do, Mike, this is first quality, top drawer stuff.
Larry White

SWEEEET!!!...

Post by Larry White »

MIKE!
Dude...you are the man! What a wonderful treat to view and have as a resource! Thanks for your time and dedication to this craft and to all us Letterheads out here that gain such a great deal of information and inspiration from all your efforts! You have really put together an invaluable website for all of our use. I can't thank you enough.

I just recently broke out my Angel Gilding supplies and gilded up a panel. From breaking it out to cleaning it up...90 minutes. I gilded over acid embossing, which, if using leaf would probably take two water gilds and maybe a surface gild and take at least a day ...and the Angel Gilding is a fraction of the cost. AND...Sarah King's new formulas are exceedingly more predictable and reliable than some of the older formulas... give it a try. The only thing missing from the video is the odor of solution gilding.... guess we'll have to wait for the development of Aromavision. :D

Having Mike Jackson as webmaster of this site... WONDERFUL!

Seeing a video demonstration of Angel Gilding... INVALUABLE!

Seeing and hearing Rick again...PRICELESS ! ! !

Thanks Mike!
Larry White
That's enough for now... it's gettin' late
Town Of Machine
http://www.walljewelry.com
Mike Jackson
Site Admin

Post by Mike Jackson »

Hi Raymond,
Rick and Lola stayed around a few days after the Totem Head meeting, along with the SignCraft brothers. SC rented a van on Monday or Tuesday and we made one of those 375 mile figure 8 marathon tours through Yellowstone. The video clip was taken in the morning of the next day. Rick and Lola were going to catch the plane back to California later that afternoon, so I suspect Rick was in his traveling clothes, vs his shop clothes. Judging from the Letterheads chart, that meeting was in August of 1990. We were all 15 years younger and healthier!

Eventually, I will get the three steps onto a DVD. The first attempt was what you might call a "Test" project. The video worked but the audio didn't convert for some reason. Rick wasn't really attempting to do a video production on this either. He spoke some, laughed some, and we were joking around when the rental car guy came in telling us the SignCraft brother's credit card had maxed out. As you pointed out, the video clips are great to show how simple the Angel Gild application processes can be. The DVD will show things much clearer and larger when I finally get that ready.

From a technical note, this video editing process has a HUGE learning curve. I spent a large part of the day trying to figure out how to get a Windows Video Clip onto a page. The MPG file I made for Steven Parrish was very short and took up almost 6 megs of disk space and download time. These clips were going to be much longer, so I had to get them into the WMV format. Creating the clips was relatively easy (now that I have spent a few months making other clips), but GoLive didn't work with them until I finally found a few notes about the problem on their Adobe Forums. I tried creating the clips a bit larger, but the file size began to creep up. I only have 100 megs on TheLetterheads.com server, so I also have to be careful about creating too many large video files.

Thanks for the note,
Mike

...Larry must have been writing his note as I was writing this one. Thanks for the comments! I hope to add a few more little clips on this site over the next year. It seems a lot of what I am learning right now dovetails into quite a few different applications. At least now I can justify the expense of cameras, camcorders, DVD recorders and video editing software to the IRS!
Golden Era Studios
Jackson Hole, WY

Photography site:
Teton Images
Best of the Tetons
Ron Berlier

Post by Ron Berlier »

Hello Mike,

I whole heartedly agree with Larry .... PRICELESS. It's nice to hear Rick's voice again, in a way it is comforting.

Thanks once again for your creative thinking and diligence in continuing to improve the web site, and the forum. :!:

I suspect you don’t have much time for signs any longer with all the computer-tech-stuff that you are working with. Ah, but I suspect there is always time for fishing. :lol:
Ron Berlier
Wherever I go, there I am.
vance galliher

thanks

Post by vance galliher »

...hahahah......the way he moved those bottles around is a sight to behold, and the commentary while doing so.. what a gift ! mike, how fortunate we all are to have you as a provider of such great inspiration and information ! thanks for the effort mike
Doug Bernhardt

Post by Doug Bernhardt »

Thanx for the video Mike....takes me back especially at this time of year.
Mike Jackson
Site Admin

Post by Mike Jackson »

It looks like I need to add links to these video clips to the Rick Glawson section:

http://www.theletterheads.com/glawson/g ... lpour.html

http://www.theletterheads.com/glawson/g ... spray.html

http://www.theletterheads.com/glawson/g ... creen.html

Will do it soon.
Mike
Golden Era Studios
Jackson Hole, WY

Photography site:
Teton Images