Welcome to The Hand Lettering Forum!
This is an interactive Bulletin Board on the topics of Sign making, design, fabrication, History, old Books and of coarse Letterheads, Keepers of the craft. The Hand Lettering Forum features links to resources, sign art history, techniques, and artists profiles. Learn more about Letterheads at https://theletterheads.com. Below you'll see Mchat has been added as a live communication portal for trial, and the Main forum Links are listed below.

Harley Davidson 1929 original pinstripes , any advice ?

Hand Lettering topics: Sign Making, Design, Fabrication, Letterheads, Sign Books.

Moderators: Ron Percell, Mike Jackson, Danny Baronian

Sven Lynch

Harley Davidson 1929 original pinstripes , any advice ?

Post by Sven Lynch »

I thought I would check if anyone here has done a job like this and might have some info regarding the original striping on a Harley Davidson Motorcycle from '29 ?

The bike I got has a base coat in Maroon, I have all the water decals and also a paper with all the measurements for the stripe widths. The main thing I am concerned with is getting the stripes as accurate as possible, placement wise as well as figuring out the best color for the gold (or mustard) color of the stripes ? (The secondary stripe color is black, so thats not a problem to match )

For placement, A template would be the best of course, other wise I am trying to find some quality hi res photos of a '29 with original striping intact.

For the color match of the gold I am most likely going to match the color used on the decals once I slide them on.

-any insight woudl be appreciated ! thanks -sven
pat mackle

Re: Harley Davidson 1929 original pinstripes , any advice ?

Post by pat mackle »

I just checked and there are a few good photos of the maroon or reddish style '29 Harleys on Google. If you type in "1929 Harley Davidson" and then click on Google images there is a good amount of images. Some show mostly or only the tank as being striped along with the HD name, while some show the fenders and the battery box with striping. Many look like they were lovingly restored to their exact condition so this may be a good and accurate account of the original factory package. Some photos are taken at angles so you may have a good crack at scaling the distance of the striping as it relates to parts of the bike, like tank seams, caps and rivets etc. Best of luck to you.
Pat
Sven Lynch

Re: Harley Davidson 1929 original pinstripes , any advice ?

Post by Sven Lynch »

Hey guys thanks for the replies , sorry I should have checked back but I was all over the place trying to find info on this subject. I found a great book that has a full chapter with measurements for all the spacing and placement of the striping and decals. the book can be found here http://www.vintagemotorcycleworks.com/manual.htm

Also I got hooked up with some photos of an original 29' tack, don't have them on this computer but can attach them here soon.. got a ton more, so if anyone needs good ref photos for 29/30 Harleys just contact me :)

and here is a link to my blog with pics of the finished job, the only thing is that the deals where a bit off so we are going to find some that are more authentic. Besides being incorrect these where stickers rather then water decals, so if anyone has tips on a place to get proper decals please share :)

http://vonsven.com/modernstudio/harley- ... -jdh-1929/