Welcome to The Hand Lettering Forum!
This is an interactive Bulletin Board on the topics of Sign making, design, fabrication, History, old Books and of coarse Letterheads, Keepers of the craft. The Hand Lettering Forum features links to resources, sign art history, techniques, and artists profiles. Learn more about Letterheads at https://theletterheads.com. Below you'll see Mchat has been added as a live communication portal for trial, and the Main forum Links are listed below.

Is this gold or what?

Hand Lettering topics: Sign Making, Design, Fabrication, Letterheads, Sign Books.

Moderators: Ron Percell, Mike Jackson, Danny Baronian

joe cieslowski

Is this gold or what?

Post by joe cieslowski »

Out of the blue, I was sent a book of 23k patent leaf (Manetti) and a half book of something that looks like gold......there are no labels.

It measures 5 1/2"x5 1/2" and it's thicker......it can be handled easily in my hands. Both are quiet old but there is no signs of tarnish in the large book so I don't think it's composition leaf.....it also has an excellent reflection.

This pic is the best I can do to show them together......any one know what it is?

Thanks,

Joe
Attachments
013.JPG
013.JPG (105.41 KiB) Viewed 3050 times
016.JPG
016.JPG (64.44 KiB) Viewed 3050 times
Makin Chip$ and Havin Fun!
Tyler Tim

Re: Is this gold or what?

Post by Tyler Tim »

Size wise I'd say composition leaf. I have some old Comp leaf from the 50's still looks good. You can give it the flame test. Take a snip and hold it with tweezers or some tool. hold to a flame fake leaf will wither up... real gold will not.

Quickest way I know.
Sure I paint thing for my amusement and then offer them for sale. A brushslinger could whither en die from lack of creativity in this plastic town my horse threw a shoe in. :shock:
joe cieslowski

Re: Is this gold or what?

Post by joe cieslowski »

Thanks for the tip........it burned right up = composition.

It is pretty stuff tho.

Thanks again,

Joe
Makin Chip$ and Havin Fun!