Welcome to The Hand Lettering Forum!
This is an interactive Bulletin Board on the topics of Sign making, design, fabrication, History, old Books and of coarse Letterheads, Keepers of the craft. The Hand Lettering Forum features links to resources, sign art history, techniques, and artists profiles. Learn more about Letterheads at https://theletterheads.com. Below you'll see Mchat has been added as a live communication portal for trial, and the Main forum Links are listed below.

Tips for visiting London?

Hand Lettering topics: Sign Making, Design, Fabrication, Letterheads, Sign Books.

Moderators: Ron Percell, Mike Jackson, Danny Baronian

erik winkler

Tips for visiting London?

Post by erik winkler »

Hello everybody,

I will be visiting London next week from 14th till 19th of May.
Does anybody has some tips for me to go to?

Thank you!
Realizing we are in the 2nd renaissance of the arts.
Learn, copy and trying to improve...
Still in the learning phase ;-)
Amsterdam Netherlands
www.ferrywinkler.nl
www.schitterend.eu
www.facebook.com/Schitterend.eu
Doug Bernhardt

Re: Tips for visiting London?

Post by Doug Bernhardt »

Eric...aside from some great pubs to look at you MUST go to the Market Porter. It's in Borough Market right over the bridge from St. Pauls Cathedral. It is the premier London ale pub. On a summers day it will be packed in and outdoors and try one of the ales with the handwritten paper tags on the pumps. It'll be a one of or that day only pint and gone when you return for another.
Ash Bishop

Re: Tips for visiting London?

Post by Ash Bishop »

Hi Eric,

You should have a great time in London, There is a real ale renassiance going on at present. I just got back from a pub crawl late last night with fellow letterhead Stewart Mclaren and we visited some of these glass palaces (and I'm feeling a little fragile). Try some of the following:

The Princeses Louise, High Holborn. The ultimate mirror fest
The Ship, New Cavendish Street. Large sign collection.
Les Trois Garcon, Shorditch High Street (I think) Go around 6 and ask to have a quick look as its a posh restaurant but they have three beautiful glass pieces.
The Red Lion, 48 Parliament Street, Whitehall, Westminster, London SW1A 2NH . Some great glass.
The Old Blue Last, Gt Eastern Street. The daddy of all glass pieces.
The Well & Bucket, Bethnal Green Road. 4 glasses pieces recently made by me, of which I'm quite proud!
The Bedroom Bar, Rivington Street. A front sign and advertising mirror.

The Best advice is to wander of the beaten track and poke about the side streets and see what gems you unearth, it always amazes me what turns up that I had never noticed.

If you get chance Eric give me a call, I'm only 30 mins from central London and it would be good to meet up.

Ash Bishop
The Brilliant Sign Co