Welcome to The Hand Lettering Forum!
This is an interactive Bulletin Board on the topics of Sign making, design, fabrication, History, old Books and of coarse Letterheads, Keepers of the craft. The Hand Lettering Forum features links to resources, sign art history, techniques, and artists profiles. Learn more about Letterheads at https://theletterheads.com. Below you'll see Mchat has been added as a live communication portal for trial, and the Main forum Links are listed below.

Roman Alphabet Practice

Hand Lettering topics: Sign Making, Design, Fabrication, Letterheads, Sign Books.

Moderators: Ron Percell, Mike Jackson, Danny Baronian

Kayla Wade

Roman Alphabet Practice

Post by Kayla Wade »

I pencil-and-inked this basic Roman alphabet yesterday for some practice. It was more a practice of patience and discipline, both of which I struggle with, more than anything else. All my mistakes are blindingly obvious to me. Curves, obviously, are hard, as well as keeping the serifs consistent and symmetrical. Same with the thick strokes. I think going to a larger scale would make things easier. Also, we're in the process f moving to a new house so all my good microns and stuff are in a box somewhere, so I've been using a sub-par gel pen that can't get too detailed and smudges if you blink at it too hard. Although I guess dragging my hand across fresh ink is another mistake I can learn from.

However, I'm fairly pleased. I know there's a lot to be improved upon but this exercise helped me get a better feel of the whole process. Although I think actually laying out words and designs will be more beneficial than just copying an alphabet.

I'd really appreciate the feedback of anyone willing to give it.

P.s. sorry it's just an Instagram pic. Computing on the go, you know.

Full-bodied and easy to drink.
Tony Segale

Re: Roman Alphabet Practice

Post by Tony Segale »

Nice work, Kayla.

Art is one of the great inquisitions, it is good to endeavor to persevere.
I like the inner pull of the downward strokes you make, E, F, I...

You may like to draw big letters with charcoal, quick fast long lines.
With your courage to jump in, you might charge a flat brush and paint the Romans, 6" to 12" tall.
One fellow lettering artist told me years ago when I was finding my way, to save or photo all your endeavors.
You'll be surprised the difference in your lettering skills every ten years.

With permission, I'd like to rewrite a poem from William Blake:
"Improvement makes straight roads, but crooked roads without improvement are roads of genius"

my version...
"Computers make straight fonts, but lettering rendered by the human hand are lines of genius"
and he took that golden hair and made a sweater for baby bear.
http://www.tonysegale.com
http://www.tonysegale.wordpress.com
Kayla Wade

Post by Kayla Wade »

I think painting/drawing big letters sounds good for me; cathartic. And in just the past month I can tell I've improved, but this is a long-term thing and I can't wait to look back in ten years.

Thanks for your reply. :)
Full-bodied and easy to drink.
Robare M. Novou

Post by Robare M. Novou »

You might want to try tracing an alphabet that is a tad bigger.

It's OK to use a straight edge and a compass when constructing your letters.

Also, just outline the letters, don't fill them in, and use a pencil, that way you can erase any misguided lines.

Get your mind to remember letter forms and the little nuances that make up each letter.

I was hoping you were gonna start with basic single stroke block letters, and then work your way up to the serifed letters.

Not the other way around...oui.!

You could also get a lettering quill and palette up some lettering paint and practice some basic strokes to get the feel of the brush in your hand and the pull of the bristles on the substrate of choice.

Practice Makes Perfect.

RMN
What's On Your Book Shelf ?

http://www.milwaukeesignworks.com