Welcome to The Hand Lettering Forum!
This is an interactive Bulletin Board on the topics of Sign making, design, fabrication, History, old Books and of coarse Letterheads, Keepers of the craft. The Hand Lettering Forum features links to resources, sign art history, techniques, and artists profiles. Learn more about Letterheads at https://theletterheads.com. Below you'll see Mchat has been added as a live communication portal for trial, and the Main forum Links are listed below.

Hand lettering in Broadway Shows.

Hand Lettering topics: Sign Making, Design, Fabrication, Letterheads, Sign Books.

Moderators: Ron Percell, Mike Jackson, Danny Baronian

Bill Riedel

Hand lettering in Broadway Shows.

Post by Bill Riedel »

I have not been here in a long time, but have missed a lot. I just finished reading all the comments on the movies, gold size, and Dave Smith.
Maybe someone would be interested to know that a few years ago I was called because a Broadway show was looking for a sign painter who could still do hand lettering the way it was back in the 40's.
They claimed they had a hard time finding anyone. To make a long story short they wanted signs for the show Little Shop of Horrors. They were willing to pay any price, and even gave two tickets to the show. It did well and went on the road, and now they needed more signs.
A few years later they came back and asked for signs to the show Billy Elliot.

Bill Riedel
Bill Riedel
Mark Summers

Re: Hand lettering in Broadway Shows.

Post by Mark Summers »

A real success story Bill. Show us some pics of what you did. Signpainters rule!

Mark
Bill Riedel

Post by Bill Riedel »

Mark, every once in a while it happens that a job goes out before having a chance to take pictures. It was interesting though, they supplied the canvas for banners and large boxes to make hand lettered logos on. To be able to sit in the theater and see my work on stage was a nice experience.
Billy Elliot signs were canvas banners too.
Bill
Bill Riedel
Katherine Harris

Post by Katherine Harris »

Wow, very cool!
I didn't see Little Shop of Horrors, but I did see Billy Elliot on Broadway! As did millions of other people of course. Don't love broadway the way I love Cirque du Soleil Las Vegas but hey, what does that matter?
That's something to be proud of!