Welcome to The Hand Lettering Forum!
This is an interactive Bulletin Board on the topics of Sign making, design, fabrication, History, old Books and of coarse Letterheads, Keepers of the craft. The Hand Lettering Forum features links to resources, sign art history, techniques, and artists profiles. Learn more about Letterheads at https://theletterheads.com. Below you'll see Mchat has been added as a live communication portal for trial, and the Main forum Links are listed below.

Glass Questions from my email

Hand Lettering topics: Sign Making, Design, Fabrication, Letterheads, Sign Books.

Moderators: Ron Percell, Mike Jackson, Danny Baronian

Mike Jackson
Site Admin

Glass Questions from my email

Post by Mike Jackson »

Hi All,
I received this letter last night in my email. Instead of writing the lengthy response privately, I thought it might be best to post it here and direct him to this forum to get all the answers. Hopefully, a few of us can help him.
Dear Mike,
My name is DL Whitlock, I live in Illinois and went to sign school at Vatterott in St. Louis in '89. I am kind of wanting to get into the glass end of the business as an art and would like to know, if I want to put a picture on a glue chipped sign and don't want to paint in reverse, how do I go about adhering a previously painted picture or print to the back of the glass after it has been chipped.
If this is possible, what type of paper does the picture need to be on for it to be successful? I thought I had read about this particular technique in a magazine, but can't remember where I saw it. Also, does Noel Weber still do weekend seminars? Does anyone else? Does Noel have a web sight or an e-mail address that I can write to? I'm sorry about all of these questions but I found your article on glue chipped signs on the web and have admired your work for years, and thought that you might be able to help me, PLEASE!!!! my e-mail address is zookpr62626@yahoo.com
Mike Jackson
Mike Jackson / co-administrator
Golden Era Studios
Vintage Ornamental Clip art
Jackson Hole, WY

Photography site:
Teton Images
Jackson Hole photography blog:
Best of the Tetons
Mike Jackson
Site Admin

Post by Mike Jackson »

DL, this topic has been discussed some in past threads. Click the one below to read what was in just that one thread. Also, go to the Rick Glawson section of http://www.theletterheads.com and check out the Decalcomania section.

Signmaking 101: Adhering Photos to glass
viewtopic.php?t=166&highlight=adhere

I don't think Noel is doing scheduled Gold Leaf Seminars anymore, but check out Etchmaster.com. They offer some gold seminars off and on.
http://www.etchmaster.com/index2.html

Hope this helps,
Mike Jackson
Golden Era Studios
Jackson Hole, WY

Photography site:
Teton Images
Best of the Tetons
Mike Jackson
Site Admin

Post by Mike Jackson »

Noel Weber just called. Apparently, he and John Studden are planning a few Gold Leaf Workshops, some held in Boise and some at John's shop in LA. I'm sure they will let us know the details as they get everything worked out.

Good news for the future leaf layers!

Mike
Golden Era Studios
Jackson Hole, WY

Photography site:
Teton Images
Best of the Tetons