Welcome to The Hand Lettering Forum!
This is an interactive Bulletin Board on the topics of Sign making, design, fabrication, History, old Books and of coarse Letterheads, Keepers of the craft. The Hand Lettering Forum features links to resources, sign art history, techniques, and artists profiles. Learn more about Letterheads at https://theletterheads.com. Below you'll see Mchat has been added as a live communication portal for trial, and the Main forum Links are listed below.

Painting Mag material...Help!

Hand Lettering topics: Sign Making, Design, Fabrication, Letterheads, Sign Books.

Moderators: Ron Percell, Mike Jackson, Danny Baronian

Bob Sauls

Painting Mag material...Help!

Post by Bob Sauls »

I need some suggestions.
For decades we hand lettered Mags but now getting One Shot to stick to them has become and issue. I am making a magnetic directory. The individual tenant slats will be Mag material painted dk gray (one shot w/ hardener) Then plotter-cut lettering. I have had paint peel up when removing transfer tape.
My proceedures will be scuffing mag with scotchbright pad, wipe down with denatured alcohol then rolling on the 1Shot.

How would you guys approach this?
Danny Baronian
Site Admin

Re: Painting Mag material...Help!

Post by Danny Baronian »

Bulldog in a rattle can, available at most auto body shop supply stores.

A light mist coat is all that's required. It's a adhesion promoter made specifically for use with most paints that are sprayed onto plastic bumpers and other plastic body parts.

Works well on vinyl, and most other materials used in your shop too.

Clean the surface with 50/50 alcohol and water in a spray bottle; no need to scuff the surface, just clean, dry and mist with Bulldog. Dries in about 15 minutes.

Danny
Danny Baronian
Baronian Mfg.
CNC Routing & Fabrication
http://www.baronian.com
Mark Summers

Post by Mark Summers »

Here's another thought Bob. If you put down Gerber (enamel receptive)
220 series clear you can paint away.

Mark
Dan Seese

Post by Dan Seese »

Bob,
Similar to Danny's suggestion (I've never tried Bulldog) XIM makes a primer I've used on a number of surfaces.
The product description is:
XIM’s 400 CLEAR Quick Dry, Clear Bonding Primer/Sealer. Interior or Exterior. Accepts Alkyd Topcoats. For Tough-To-Paint surfaces. *Glass, Tile, *Formica, * Metals, as well as many Plastics, Wood and other construction materials.
Haven't tried it on mag material but I've used it on various surfaces in both liquid form & spray can with success. You can buy it at most paint stores or the big-box stores like Lowes or Home Depot.
Good luck. Interested to hear what you end up using & how it works out.
Dan
"The lyf so short, the craft so long to lerne."
Geoffrey Chaucer (c. 1340 - 1400)

http://DanSeeseStudios.com
http://www.DanSeeseStudios.com/blog/
http://www.facebook.com/DanSeeseStudios
Jerry Berg

Post by Jerry Berg »

Bob, you could just lay vinyl down for your background color. Your going with vinyl letters, may as well make it an all
vinyl job, collect the moolah and be done with it.
Tyler Tim

Post by Tyler Tim »

Bob Sauls wrote:I need some suggestions.
For decades we hand lettered Mags but now getting One Shot to stick to them has become and issue. I am making a magnetic directory. The individual tenant slats will be Mag material painted dk gray (one shot w/ hardener) Then plotter-cut lettering. I have had paint peel up when removing transfer tape.
My proceedures will be scuffing mag with scotchbright pad, wipe down with denatured alcohol then rolling on the 1Shot.

How would you guys approach this?
I'd look at dark grey Oracal 651 or 751 for on mag then add names. That way no one can easily etch or scratch added text on them. Plus if it happens to be white copy you could do it in one shot by weeding the text.

Just a thought... Tim :wink:

Edited to add did not see Jerry said it first... but great minds think alike... :lol:
Sure I paint thing for my amusement and then offer them for sale. A brushslinger could whither en die from lack of creativity in this plastic town my horse threw a shoe in. :shock:
Bob Sauls

Post by Bob Sauls »

The issue was that the directory was one that I had built several years ago. I was trying to match existing. I would say that the 1shot alone gave me 75% adhesion. Dave Correl suggested priming the mag with an adhesion primer first.
I used SW Multi-purpose primer (waterbased) that had been tinted gray, followed by 1Shot with hardener.
It worked like a champ!
Thanks everyone for your suggestions. There are many ways to skin a cat.