Welcome to The Hand Lettering Forum!
This is an interactive Bulletin Board on the topics of Sign making, design, fabrication, History, old Books and of coarse Letterheads, Keepers of the craft. The Hand Lettering Forum features links to resources, sign art history, techniques, and artists profiles. Learn more about Letterheads at https://theletterheads.com. Below you'll see Mchat has been added as a live communication portal for trial, and the Main forum Links are listed below.

Hi all Letterheads out there

Hand Lettering topics: Sign Making, Design, Fabrication, Letterheads, Sign Books.

Moderators: Ron Percell, Mike Jackson, Danny Baronian

Jes Troelsen

Hi all Letterheads out there

Post by Jes Troelsen »

I would like to introduce my self...

First of all, I really admire the craftmanship and beautyfull work you post on the forum. I find it truly inspiring, and thank for sharing it all with the rest of us.
I’m a 47 years old Danish painter.
I was painting vice brought up the traditional way, my teaching master was a painter of Copenhagen who him self was taught the trade by one of the old Danish masters of decorative painting .
Trough 10 years of working with him I learned painting the traditional ways, using linseed oil paint, lime, distemper and so on.
I was taught the traditional decoration techniques: marbling, wood graining, trompe l'oeil, sign writing, gilding and so on.. Not to say that I’m a master of it all, but I tried a lot of things...
His web page : http://www.raadvadmaleren.dk

We worked on churches, manors, castles, historical houses and monuments, private homes and museums mostly restoring or recreating historical decorations. Besides we also did a lot of ordinary paint jobs but always trying to maintain quality in workmanship.
In 1997-98 I was educated in “Advanced Building Restoration” at “Rådvad Center of Building Restoration” http://www.bygningsbevaring.dk and did a paper on gilding, gilding was my focus point.

Gilding has always been my favorite techniques, I guess its because I enjoy the beauty good craftsmanship can create, and I posses the drive for perfection and the patience that it requires to gild.
In 1994 I founded my company Akantus, and since 1999 I have been full time self employed, only a few times did I have employees, but I'm a member of a loose structured group of other self employed painters, helping each others on larger jobs.
In 2002 my wife and I moved to the countryside, one hour away from Copenhagen, we soon got kids, and a lot to do restoring our old farm, guess its a old story... I had to take care of my family so I had to focus on local work, mostly straight painting jobs, that paid the bills, and still being able to get home in time to spend some time with my family.

I still do some gilding and restoring, but I have an urge to concentrate more on decoration and gilding. And I want to be able to work more from my home, to be closer to my to girls (7 and 10 years old) as they grow up.
By chance, this summer on vacation, I got interested in sandblasting decorations on glass (I’m always trying to explore new techniques), I bought a small sandblasting cabinet and made myself a small workshop.
But then something amazing happened to me..
I was exploring the possibilities of decorating with a sandblaster when I came along Davis Smith's website and watched the videos, such beauty and superb craftsmanship, I was stunned, this was what I wanted to do.....

I looked further into the world of sign writing and glass gilding and found a treasure chest of information from devoted craftsmen all over the world.
And i stumbled upon this forum, I really enjoy reading the posts and looking at the photos, there is a lot to learn here..
My signwriter/glassgilder test workshop is almost ready and i got a few test jobs coming up soon.
I'll be posting some photos of my work, both older and new ones, when i find some good ones...

Thanks to all of you for sharing your work..

Jes
Attachments
Me at the workshop, gilding a small sculpture
Me at the workshop, gilding a small sculpture
Jes-at-the-workshop.jpg (167.2 KiB) Viewed 2895 times
Jes Troelsen
Ovner at AKANTUS, www.akantus-maler.dk
Danish painter, gilder, sign writer.
Tyler Tim

Re: Hi all Letterheads out there

Post by Tyler Tim »

Welcome aboard... Jes

Yes David Smith's work is something to look at and aspire to. Looking forward to seeing some of your work.

Tim
Sure I paint thing for my amusement and then offer them for sale. A brushslinger could whither en die from lack of creativity in this plastic town my horse threw a shoe in. :shock:
Roderick Treece

Re: Hi all Letterheads out there

Post by Roderick Treece »

Hi Jes,
I enjoyed your web site very much. After years of being in the sign business I ventured off into to the decorative arts as well when it became very fashionable here in the US. That trend has died down and I am back to sign making full time. With your experience I know you will really enjoy the world of signs. Good luck !

www.studiozerosigns.com
www.customglasssigns.com