Welcome to The Hand Lettering Forum!
This is an interactive Bulletin Board on the topics of Sign making, design, fabrication, History, old Books and of coarse Letterheads, Keepers of the craft. The Hand Lettering Forum features links to resources, sign art history, techniques, and artists profiles. Learn more about Letterheads at https://theletterheads.com. Below you'll see Mchat has been added as a live communication portal for trial, and the Main forum Links are listed below.

Sign System

Hand Lettering topics: Sign Making, Design, Fabrication, Letterheads, Sign Books.

Moderators: Ron Percell, Mike Jackson, Danny Baronian

Roderick Treece

Sign System

Post by Roderick Treece »

About 5 years ago I created a sign system along with designer friend George Loyo for a client that have 12 store fronts in his building. The idea was to bring all the different tenants together with a common theme for their double sided blade signs.
The main background is 3/4" PVC. The faces are clear acrylic backpainted and mounted with 1/2 standoff. It has 1 5/8 stainless caps to mount the face to the background.
I had John Studden cut all the PVC backgrounds and faces out on his router table and and the text and logos were done by Gemini sign letters. Over the 5 years tenants have moved out and making the changes go pretty smooth. Here is a photo of one of the signs. The next photo shows the same sign getting ready to be refurbished.
Attachments
Sign system.jpg
Sign system.jpg (70.71 KiB) Viewed 3927 times
Aja1.jpg
Aja1.jpg (46.18 KiB) Viewed 3932 times
Roderick Treece

Re: Sign System

Here is a photo of the custom stainless steel hardware we designed for the sign system. The other photo is the background being repainted and the two new faces being given a paint coat.
Attachments
Sign system hardware.jpg
Sign system hardware.jpg (92.62 KiB) Viewed 3840 times
Sign system BG.jpg
Sign system BG.jpg (71.11 KiB) Viewed 3848 times
Ron Berlier

Post by Ron Berlier »

Very cool system Roderick. Do the acorn caps have nylon inserts?
Ron Berlier
Wherever I go, there I am.
Roderick Treece

Hi Ron,
No they don't. I use Locktight on everything. Plus the bolt is long enough that it bottoms out before it get to tight on the sign so I really crank down on them.
The system has been in service for 5 years and it's still working great. Some of the backgrounds have been changed out three times.There are 6 different shapes so when you walk down the side walk and look up you never see a repeat of the same shape.