Welcome to The Hand Lettering Forum!
This is an interactive Bulletin Board on the topics of Sign making, design, fabrication, History, old Books and of coarse Letterheads, Keepers of the craft. The Hand Lettering Forum features links to resources, sign art history, techniques, and artists profiles. Learn more about Letterheads at https://theletterheads.com. Below you'll see Mchat has been added as a live communication portal for trial, and the Main forum Links are listed below.

Acrylic lettering on unprimed canvas, by a total noob!

Hand Lettering topics: Sign Making, Design, Fabrication, Letterheads, Sign Books.

Moderators: Ron Percell, Mike Jackson, Danny Baronian

Cassidy Curtis

Acrylic lettering on unprimed canvas, by a total noob!

Post by Cassidy Curtis »

A few weeks ago I embarked on a sign painting project for my daughter's school. I started out knowing approximately nothing, but I've been learning as I go, so now I know a tiny bit more than nothing. ;-)

I've got a million questions for you all! But I'll search through the forum first before asking what's probably already in a FAQ somewhere... For now, here's some work in progress. I'd love to hear your critique and/or any suggestions for improvement.

On these first few, the small letters are single-stroke, and the big letters I did mainly by sketching the outlines in charcoal first, and then filling in with a brush:

But I'm trying to teach myself single-stroke technique, so that's what I've been using exclusively for all the letters on these latest two signs:

These first five signs are done, but I've got seven more to do in the next month, so any advice you can offer will be immediately helpful!

Cheers,

Cassidy
Roderick Treece

Re: Acrylic lettering on unprimed canvas, by a total noob!

Post by Roderick Treece »

Hi Cassidy !
Not bad for the first five. My first five didn't look that good. I'd say start mixing it up with a type face that's more up right like Roman of blocky.

Good luck
erik winkler

Post by erik winkler »

I have to agree on Roderick on that, for a first time it looks very good.
Realizing we are in the 2nd renaissance of the arts.
Learn, copy and trying to improve...
Still in the learning phase ;-)
Amsterdam Netherlands
www.ferrywinkler.nl
www.schitterend.eu
www.facebook.com/Schitterend.eu
Cassidy Curtis

Post by Cassidy Curtis »

Thanks for the encouraging words! Roderick, I'm taking your advice and practicing my "straight letters" now... a whole different set of challenges there!

(Oh, and the minty green bit in the upper left corner is by my 5-year-old who now wants to paint signs like her dad. Let's keep this thing going a few more generations, eh?)

-Cassidy