Welcome to The Hand Lettering Forum!
This is an interactive Bulletin Board on the topics of Sign making, design, fabrication, History, old Books and of coarse Letterheads, Keepers of the craft. The Hand Lettering Forum features links to resources, sign art history, techniques, and artists profiles. Learn more about Letterheads at https://theletterheads.com. Below you'll see Mchat has been added as a live communication portal for trial, and the Main forum Links are listed below.

Odd Find

Hand Lettering topics: Sign Making, Design, Fabrication, Letterheads, Sign Books.

Moderators: Ron Percell, Mike Jackson, Danny Baronian

Tyler Tim

Odd Find

Post by Tyler Tim »

So about week and a half ago I was driving to town and on the side of the road was a large glossy black square setting on the snow.. I thought it was a piece of heavy plastic. So pulled over to grab it. Turns out to my surprise it was GLASS. Seems to be a vintage piece of Vitrolite right down to the textured backside. I loaded it into my truck and with a smile and a wink up wards went on my way. It's 28"x 36" about 3/8" thick. Don't know how it got there and in good shape. Had three globs of black mastic adhesive on the back that came right off after setting in the sun.

You just never know what you'll come across while driving down the road.

Now want to do with it... and how should it be cut?
Attachments
black glass.JPG
black glass.JPG (22.11 KiB) Viewed 4312 times
Sure I paint thing for my amusement and then offer them for sale. A brushslinger could whither en die from lack of creativity in this plastic town my horse threw a shoe in. :shock:
erik winkler

Re: Odd Find

Post by erik winkler »

Tyler,

I am the right person to ask that question I think.
Click on the photo in the link and with your right arrow on your keyboard scroll through the different photo's.
Black glass
Looking forward what you will do with it.
Realizing we are in the 2nd renaissance of the arts.
Learn, copy and trying to improve...
Still in the learning phase ;-)
Amsterdam Netherlands
www.ferrywinkler.nl
www.schitterend.eu
www.facebook.com/Schitterend.eu
BruceJackson

Post by BruceJackson »

Great collection of photos Erik. Thanks.
Tyler Tim

Post by Tyler Tim »

erik winkler wrote:Tyler,

I am the right person to ask that question I think.
Click on the photo in the link and with your right arrow on your keyboard scroll through the different photo's.
Black glass
Looking forward what you will do with it.
So Erik... on the piece you did, did you score and snap or use a wet saw?
Sure I paint thing for my amusement and then offer them for sale. A brushslinger could whither en die from lack of creativity in this plastic town my horse threw a shoe in. :shock:
erik winkler

Post by erik winkler »

Thank you Bruce.

Tyler,
Score, snap, sand, polish
With freestanding black glass this is absolutely necessary, due to the brilliance of the glass.
Realizing we are in the 2nd renaissance of the arts.
Learn, copy and trying to improve...
Still in the learning phase ;-)
Amsterdam Netherlands
www.ferrywinkler.nl
www.schitterend.eu
www.facebook.com/Schitterend.eu