Welcome to The Hand Lettering Forum!
This is an interactive Bulletin Board on the topics of Sign making, design, fabrication, History, old Books and of coarse Letterheads, Keepers of the craft. The Hand Lettering Forum features links to resources, sign art history, techniques, and artists profiles. Learn more about Letterheads at https://theletterheads.com. Below you'll see Mchat has been added as a live communication portal for trial, and the Main forum Links are listed below.

Backup paint question

Hand Lettering topics: Sign Making, Design, Fabrication, Letterheads, Sign Books.

Moderators: Ron Percell, Mike Jackson, Danny Baronian

Rick Janzen

Backup paint question

Post by Rick Janzen »

Hello all, I have a few questions regarding back-up paint and varnish. I don't do a lot of glass gilding, but am getting more calls for it, starting with a job next week. I still have some Dekor black and yellow ochre left, but it's getting pretty low. Just wondering what some of you are using for back-up paint and doing the outline work. If I'm not mistaken, is back-up paint not just fast drying enamel screen ink? And is there another brand that gives satisfactory results. I remember reading a post some time back ( a long ways back) where there was some discussion about mixing Nazdar ink with One Shot to get a little better adhesion to glass when doing outline work and such. And last, but not least, what type of varnish are you using for the final protective coat over the back-up paint.

It use to be so simple, but with the ever changing supply and product chain, it seems that the products the worked well are being replaced with products that don't work well, One Shot being one of them. I've been switching over to Ronan, but haven't been using it long enough to see how it holds up over time. Any input would be appreciated.
pat mackle

Re: Backup paint question

Post by pat mackle »

Hi,
I posted that bit about adding NazDar #59000 series(clear) to One Shot enamel. It adds film strength and better adhesion when added. Also I use it to screen print One Shot to glass(gives it better body). Works in a pinch and prevents me from having to stock seldom needed screen enamels. The Fire Department likes that.
Yes, back up paint is fast dry screen enamel. And I don't really know of anyone backing that enamel up with a varnish, as the enamel is already pretty stout.
Rick Janzen

Post by Rick Janzen »

Thanks Pat, that was the post I had read. The varnish bit was more for lettering that may be exposed to window washers and such. Thanks for the reply.
Jerry Berg

Post by Jerry Berg »

Hi Rick,

Here's a link to the letterhead sign supplies page with various back-up enamels.

http://letterheadsignsupply.com/glassgi ... ing-paints

Jerry