Welcome to The Hand Lettering Forum!
This is an interactive Bulletin Board on the topics of Sign making, design, fabrication, History, old Books and of coarse Letterheads, Keepers of the craft. The Hand Lettering Forum features links to resources, sign art history, techniques, and artists profiles. Learn more about Letterheads at https://theletterheads.com. Below you'll see Mchat has been added as a live communication portal for trial, and the Main forum Links are listed below.

Introduction

Hand Lettering topics: Sign Making, Design, Fabrication, Letterheads, Sign Books.

Moderators: Ron Percell, Mike Jackson, Danny Baronian

Brian Fox

Introduction

Post by Brian Fox »

Wanted to take a minute to say hello and introduce myself.

First off I hope everyone is doing well and staying busy creatively.

My name is Brian, I live in Philadelphia. I am an art school grad that had no interest in the politics of the art world, so I became a full time carpenter and custom woodworker. I always allowed time for my art and love of letters. I apprenticed for a 20 yr. veteran of sign painting from 99-2001 and painted my fair share of signs. Due to a myriad of different reasons / changes in life I put down the quills in 2003.

A few years ago I slowly got back into drawing, than painting, painting murals and back to my passion of the art of hand lettering. Still just getting my feet wet using some langnickel quills and a recipe of acrylic paints that works well on glass and bristol board. I dont want to jump right into 1shot just yet, mainly because I don't have a studio with proper ventilation etc.. Plus, like i said before still getting my feet wet. Dont step in the water til you know you can swim!!

Always practiced my vertical and horizontal strokes even when I was lettering all the time, so Im doing this on the regular on the real estate / jobs wanted section of the daily newspaper. Along with practicing my strokes and building consistency I'm slowly playing around with different type / fonts I'm still familiar with laying out and painting. Well, I'm looking forward to getting to know some of you and learn as much as I can. Wish I found this place sooner, but I found it now and thats all that matters. Im sure I left a lot out about myself, so ask me anything you'd like I'm an open book. I wanted to at the very least say hello.

I also wanted to take a second to thank Danny Baronian for all his help. Its first hand communication that makes a forum like this a great resource.

Best,
Brian Fox
Bob Sauls

Re: Introduction

Post by Bob Sauls »

Welcome aboard. I am impressed that you are doing the ground work. that show some dedication that many do not exhibit.
Lee Littlewood

Re: Introduction

Post by Lee Littlewood »

For small-muscle skills, practice is a great thing. But don't forget to sketch with a pencil - it can do many things that a lettering brush can't, plus it is good when practice is discouraging. In Philadelphia you should find many good signs and letters to sketch.

Here's part of one from Shorpy.com - Philadelphia 1900
Philadelphia1900.jpg
Philadelphia1900.jpg (168.14 KiB) Viewed 2920 times
where am i? Now, when i need me...