Welcome to The Hand Lettering Forum!
This is an interactive Bulletin Board on the topics of Sign making, design, fabrication, History, old Books and of coarse Letterheads, Keepers of the craft. The Hand Lettering Forum features links to resources, sign art history, techniques, and artists profiles. Learn more about Letterheads at https://theletterheads.com. Below you'll see Mchat has been added as a live communication portal for trial, and the Main forum Links are listed below.

My latest article in SignCraft

Hand Lettering topics: Sign Making, Design, Fabrication, Letterheads, Sign Books.

Moderators: Ron Percell, Mike Jackson, Danny Baronian

Mike Jackson
Site Admin

My latest article in SignCraft

Post by Mike Jackson »

Hi all,
The new issue of SignCraft should have been delivered to most subscribers by now. Some of my article had roots here on the Hand Lettering Forum. I discussed a few concepts related to selling the kind of work you want to sell and eliminating some products that you don't want to make, or are not profitable. You might get a kick out of seeing a couple of new photos of Steven Parrish and his glass samples.

To many of the veteran sign makers, the info is old news. If you've been following the Hand Lettering Forum for a while, you've probably heard some variation of it before! Still, nice to get it all down in one place.

Mike Jackson
Mike Jackson / co-administrator
Golden Era Studios
Vintage Ornamental Clip art
Jackson Hole, WY

Photography site:
Teton Images
Jackson Hole photography blog:
Best of the Tetons
Raymond Chapman

Ditto

Post by Raymond Chapman »

I'll add my recommendation to Mike's article, especially for those who may be new to our profession.

It's very easy to blam your location, customers, weather, your hair color, or just about anything else when things are not going well or you are struggling to establish a new shop.

Hey, the man knows what he's talking about. He's been there and done that....with success. Of course, having Darla at his side hasn't hurt either.
Billy Pickett

Post by Billy Pickett »

...It's a great article Mike. Any vinyl sign maker who is stuck in a cheap-sticker-. oughta read it.
David Wright

Post by David Wright »

Excellent article Mike, one with points that need to be hammered home from time to time.
I just looked at my display area and asked if it represents what I want to sell.
This will prove an impetus to move on to higher end samples and displays.

Oddly enough, I had just completed a display showing the three tier pricing system for our shop.
Wright Signs
Wyandotte, Michigan