Welcome to The Hand Lettering Forum!
This is an interactive Bulletin Board on the topics of Sign making, design, fabrication, History, old Books and of coarse Letterheads, Keepers of the craft. The Hand Lettering Forum features links to resources, sign art history, techniques, and artists profiles. Learn more about Letterheads at https://theletterheads.com. Below you'll see Mchat has been added as a live communication portal for trial, and the Main forum Links are listed below.

need advice on leaves

Hand Lettering topics: Sign Making, Design, Fabrication, Letterheads, Sign Books.

Moderators: Ron Percell, Mike Jackson, Danny Baronian

megan child

need advice on leaves

Post by megan child »

Hi all,
I've had some great successes with my mirroring in recent months and thought to venture into more creativeness.
below is a design I did I'd like to put it onto the glass and back it up with silver to create a mirror.

I envisage doing a thin black outline of the tree and leaves and apples and then fill in the leaves, trunk and apples with colour but I'm not sure if I should screen print the colour, use an ink that sticks to glass, gild using veragated leaf or can you use mica powder (and how would you).

or do you have any other suggestions?

Thanks for your input

Meg
tree.jpg
tree.jpg (116.29 KiB) Viewed 5670 times
Meg
I don't make mistakes, I just have learnings.

:p
Roderick Treece

Re: need advice on leaves

Post by Roderick Treece »

Hi Megan,
I always try and do the mirroring first then do all the painting after. Good luck with it.
Mike Jackson
Site Admin

Post by Mike Jackson »

Megan,
You can always buy a commercial mirror, then mask the back of it with sandblast stencil. Cut and remove the areas where you will want color and lightly sandblast the backing and silver off the glass. Then just fill in the colors. You won't know it was ever etched and you'll have a perfect mirror background.

Remember to work backwards!
Mike Jackson / co-administrator
Golden Era Studios
Vintage Ornamental Clip art
Jackson Hole, WY

Photography site:
Teton Images
Jackson Hole photography blog:
Best of the Tetons
megan child

Post by megan child »

I remembered to work backwards and this is the finished product
Attachments
tree.jpg
tree.jpg (33.41 KiB) Viewed 4959 times
Meg
I don't make mistakes, I just have learnings.

:p
Tyler Tim

Post by Tyler Tim »

Very Nice... Good Job
Sure I paint thing for my amusement and then offer them for sale. A brushslinger could whither en die from lack of creativity in this plastic town my horse threw a shoe in. :shock: