Welcome to The Hand Lettering Forum!
This is an interactive Bulletin Board on the topics of Sign making, design, fabrication, History, old Books and of coarse Letterheads, Keepers of the craft. The Hand Lettering Forum features links to resources, sign art history, techniques, and artists profiles. Learn more about Letterheads at https://theletterheads.com. Below you'll see Mchat has been added as a live communication portal for trial, and the Main forum Links are listed below.

Anyone want to help move the old Forum posts to this one?

Hand Lettering topics: Sign Making, Design, Fabrication, Letterheads, Sign Books.

Moderators: Ron Percell, Mike Jackson, Danny Baronian

Mike Jackson
Site Admin

Anyone want to help move the old Forum posts to this one?

Post by Mike Jackson »

http://www.theletterheads.com/wwwboard/index.html

Hi all,
Just out of curiosity, I tried copying a few of the old Forum posts over to this one, using the "Quote" feature in this new one.

I started at the bottom and will continue to add a few as I have time. They don't take too long. If anyone wants to tackle a few, go to the page above and start somewhere near the middle or at the 1/3 of the page and add a few similar to the examples. The year on the old Forum was a bit screwed up after the y2k changeover. Also, if you decide to tackle a few, remember the old Forum worked from the bottom up and there were subresponses to earlier responses. Look over the Shellac post to get an idea how to organize them. I had two Internet Explorers open and toggled back and forth using the copy and paste command.

Thanks in advance to anyone wanting to take a few minutes to help! There is a lot of great information on the old BB, but it lacked any kind of search feature. If we can move them to this one, it will be much easier to find the info.

I'd love to see someone tackle the Rick Glawson responses after we learned of his death. I have a place in his section for them, but haven't managed to free up the time to compile them.

Mike Jackson - co-host
Mike Jackson / co-administrator
Golden Era Studios
Vintage Ornamental Clip art
Jackson Hole, WY

Photography site:
Teton Images
Jackson Hole photography blog:
Best of the Tetons
William Holohan

Post by William Holohan »

Mike,
Have a lot of time on my hands at the moment. Would be more than happy to assist.

If you could be a little more specific on the "how to" I would be more than happy to give it a shot. A simple step by step?

Bill "Irish" Holohan
William Holohan

Mike,
May have a problem on my end. Am on AOL and can't seem to get two instances open. Do not have internet explorer on this machine.

Bill "Irish" Holohan
William Holohan

Mike,
Old geezer is working around first part of problem. Found IE, and opened it.
Can now have IE open and AOL open.

A few directions from you and I should be able to help With the project.
Sorry for the multiple post transfers.

Irish
Mike Jackson
Site Admin

Post by Mike Jackson »

Hi William,
Thanks for the offer to help!

Here's how I did it...
I opened the Hand Lettering Forum in one browser window and the old page in another one. In the new Forum, I clicked to begin a new topic and gave it a subject of Old Forum Topics: xyz. I then click on the old Forum and drag the cursor across the original question or post to select it. I click Control-C with the copy selected to copy it to the clipboard. I switch to the new Forum and placed the cursor in the message box and write the name of the person making the post, then hit Control-V to "paste" it into the window. To put the message in quotes, just reselect the message in the message box, and click on the "Quote" box above the message entry box next to B,i,u, Quote, Code.... That will put some code in front of, and after the message.

If the original post had follow ups, I basically did the same thing, but this time starting at the bottom of the replies and worked up. If you look at the dates and times, you can see how the old board placed the posts based on whether a response was to the original question or if it was a reply to one of the subposts. I tried to keep them in some sort of logical order.

When finished, I normally select ALL of a new post and copy that to the clipboard, just in case something fouls when making the new post on the new Forum. It will be in the clipboard until it is replaced with something new. No need to worry about all the work getting lost if you get an error posting. I then hit the Submit button.

Once you get the hang of it, transferring can go pretty fast. Start with an easy one with only one or two responses. For posts that have photos on the old Forum, you can right mouse click on the photo and look for the Properties. I select and copy that info to the clipboard, then paste it into the appropriate spot on the new forum, select it again, and click on the IMG button.

Thanks again,
Mike Jackson
Golden Era Studios
Jackson Hole, WY

Photography site:
Teton Images
Best of the Tetons
Mike Jackson
Site Admin

Post by Mike Jackson »

Also, worth noting:
The old Forum is locked and not functioning, but people are now free to add new information into any of the topics being brought over. Man of the posts are four or five years old now and some could use some updating!

Mike
Golden Era Studios
Jackson Hole, WY

Photography site:
Teton Images
Best of the Tetons
William Holohan

Mike,
Thanks for the info. Will give it a whirl.

Irish