Welcome to The Hand Lettering Forum!
This is an interactive Bulletin Board on the topics of Sign making, design, fabrication, History, old Books and of coarse Letterheads, Keepers of the craft. The Hand Lettering Forum features links to resources, sign art history, techniques, and artists profiles. Learn more about Letterheads at https://theletterheads.com. Below you'll see Mchat has been added as a live communication portal for trial, and the Main forum Links are listed below.

Banner material

Hand Lettering topics: Sign Making, Design, Fabrication, Letterheads, Sign Books.

Moderators: Ron Percell, Mike Jackson, Danny Baronian

Joe Morreale

Banner material

Post by Joe Morreale »

Ever since oil cloth disappeared years ago I have had issues obtaining quality banner stock. The last few years I've been using solvent based printing media banner. I would wash it with laquer thinner before painting. The paint was very slow to dry, crawled and sometimes it would get tiny flecks chip off. The gloss finish didn't look good either.

Well I rediscovered Tara cloth. I had forgotten all about it. It's really tough and takes paint great without any prep. Painting on the somewhat rough surface takes getting used to. i have to thin a little more than usual. Too thin and it bleeds because of the weave. It does make a nice banner though. I got mine from dick Blick. you can buy it by the yard in two different sizes. This is pic of one of my latest banners.
Attachments
wedding_zpsipuh4vbq.jpg
wedding_zpsipuh4vbq.jpg (348.02 KiB) Viewed 8768 times