Welcome to The Hand Lettering Forum!
This is an interactive Bulletin Board on the topics of Sign making, design, fabrication, History, old Books and of coarse Letterheads, Keepers of the craft. The Hand Lettering Forum features links to resources, sign art history, techniques, and artists profiles. Learn more about Letterheads at https://theletterheads.com. Below you'll see Mchat has been added as a live communication portal for trial, and the Main forum Links are listed below.

Base for painting

Hand Lettering topics: Sign Making, Design, Fabrication, Letterheads, Sign Books.

Moderators: Ron Percell, Mike Jackson, Danny Baronian

Rita Goulão

Base for painting

Post by Rita Goulão »

Hello everyone!

I'm a graphic designer and a hand lettering lover and I've been practicing it on paper for a while now.
Recently, I had a proposal for doing a sign for a storefront but I'm a little lost regarding materials, so I thought I'd come to you experts for some help. I'm familiar with the brushes and the paint... it's the base for the painting that is missing.

(Sorry, lousy photo but it's the only one I have at the moment)
Screen Shot 2016-10-31 at 13.24.28.png
Screen Shot 2016-10-31 at 13.24.28.png (197.93 KiB) Viewed 5706 times
The storefront has a metal top but it has a gap right in the middle, so I can't paint on top of it. I'll have to use some sort of panel to put over it, but I'm not sure what kind. What would you recommend? Metal, wood? If so, what kind?

Thank you in advance!

Rita
min
Doug Bernhardt

Re: Base for painting

Post by Doug Bernhardt »

Hi Rita. I'm a user of wood which should be primed with 2 coats of exterior grade wood primer and then a couple of coats of a gloss enamel much like one shot with of course a light sanding between each coat except the last one. Your local supplier should be able to help with brushes and sanding pads/paper. One shot lettering enamels is the choice from here with the appropriate thinners. Just a quick aside here....when ever a young apprentice entered a shop these preparations would have been his first tasks. Good luck with your project.
Rita Goulão

Post by Rita Goulão »

Thank you so much for your advice Doug!
min
Lee Littlewood

Post by Lee Littlewood »

Hard to be sure from the photo, but I don't see a gap in the middle. It does look as if it is outdoors, so (with all due deference to Mr. Bernhardt who is a brilliant woodworker) I would look at a metal panel. A sheetmetal shop can often make up a custom size and shape for a reasonable price, and they can probably suggest how to prime and paint it using the local materials. If the sheetmetal edge is bent back at a right angle it makes the panel fairly stiff, and if small wooden boards are put inside the bent edges they can help with screws and bolts and suchlike for the installation. Of course a piece of wood moulding can be affixed over the top or the edges to dress up the signboard too.
where am i? Now, when i need me...
Wayne Bunker

Post by Wayne Bunker »

Alucobond is another option. It is a composite sandwich with aluminum on the front and back and plastic in the middle. It is very flat and smooth and won't decay like wood. Sign suppliers should carry it as well as architectural building material supply houses. Good luck, Wayne
Doug Bernhardt

Post by Doug Bernhardt »

Hey....I bow to you guys with knowledge about something other than wood (which I don't have) and wish I did know more about. Bravo. Was a good read.
Dan Seese

Post by Dan Seese »

Ditto on Wayne's suggestion.

I'm not sure what the difference between Dibond and Alucobond is, but I think both are made by the same manufacturer. Alu Panel is made by a competitor, but is essentially the same thing.

One nice thing is that they come in standard colors. You can paint them any color if you abrade the surface for proper adhesion but often the stock colors will work well. The photo looks like it could be a black or duranodic bronze finish on the window frames. Using the stock finish makes it look as though it goes with the building and is not an add-on.

Doug - you don't need to know this stuff. Stay with your incredible wood-working.
Dan
"The lyf so short, the craft so long to lerne."
Geoffrey Chaucer (c. 1340 - 1400)

http://DanSeeseStudios.com
http://www.DanSeeseStudios.com/blog/
http://www.facebook.com/DanSeeseStudios