Welcome to The Hand Lettering Forum!
This is an interactive Bulletin Board on the topics of Sign making, design, fabrication, History, old Books and of coarse Letterheads, Keepers of the craft. The Hand Lettering Forum features links to resources, sign art history, techniques, and artists profiles. Learn more about Letterheads at https://theletterheads.com. Below you'll see Mchat has been added as a live communication portal for trial, and the Main forum Links are listed below.

Heating Paint

Hand Lettering topics: Sign Making, Design, Fabrication, Letterheads, Sign Books.

Moderators: Ron Percell, Mike Jackson, Danny Baronian

Kevin W Betz

Heating Paint

Post by Kevin W Betz »

Generally speaking, I try to never thin my Paint. I have found using Paint straight
from the can the Best way; 1 Shot, Ronan, Chromatic, etc.
In the Summer, it flows nice, warm temperatures.
In the Winter I will Heat my Paint. What i mean is: I will always try to keep the paint
at Room Temp. I will use a Propane Tourch or Lighter to keep the Paint
warm. I have found that by heating Paint, it will always flow even. Although, i will use
a little thinner to pallet my brush when it starts to drag a little.

Also, at an early Letterhead Meet, an Old Timer said I should not only try to
keep my paint at room temperature but turn your cans Upside down once a Month.
This helps preventing the Pigments from settling at the bottom, thus preventing
a lot of stirring to mix paint.

kb
pat mackle

Re: Heating Paint

Post by pat mackle »

I think that old timer info on turning over can was good info back when paint WAS paint. But now doing that will form skins in the top and bottom of your can, and if those skins don't have enough settle time to become hardened skins, the result is broken bits of thin skins breaking off into your paint. And now you will have to screen filter your paint to round them up. New paint, if you can even call it paint, is a real pain in the "can".
Kevin W Betz

Post by Kevin W Betz »

Pat, does this include the NEW 1SHOT from PPG ?
I have not tried it yet.
I am unsure about the difference between the 2,
the New Formula after Leaded 1 Shot and the other.
Yes, the Old 1 Shot we have acts the same as before.
This New paint baffles me. I still heat my Paint as before.

kb
Doug Bernhardt

Post by Doug Bernhardt »

Heard a lot of what sounds good to me hear. Heating I do wonder about as you can change the chemical properties of (at least some) paint by doing so. I've switched over to all the new one shot thinners for reducing paint as I don't think I could live without it thinner for lettering.