Welcome to The Hand Lettering Forum!
This is an interactive Bulletin Board on the topics of Sign making, design, fabrication, History, old Books and of coarse Letterheads, Keepers of the craft. The Hand Lettering Forum features links to resources, sign art history, techniques, and artists profiles. Learn more about Letterheads at https://theletterheads.com. Below you'll see Mchat has been added as a live communication portal for trial, and the Main forum Links are listed below.

Beginner brushes for small lettering

Hand Lettering topics: Sign Making, Design, Fabrication, Letterheads, Sign Books.

Moderators: Ron Percell, Mike Jackson, Danny Baronian

Tim Flury

Beginner brushes for small lettering

Post by Tim Flury »

Hi all, I hope this question is appropriate here. I build custom audio equipment and want to attempt to hand letter the labels and my company name on some of the gear I build for myself (not the stuff I sell). I've been watching a number of youtube videos but one thing I'm not sure of is how brush size corresponds to line size/word size. The letters I would be doing would be between 1/4" to 3/4" in total height. Is there a good way to determine what size brush I would need? Do I want a real small quill brush or something like the Alan Johnson brush he uses to write his signature (which is about the word size I'd be attempting).

Thanks in advance, sorry for any ignorance on my part.
Doug Bernhardt

Re: Beginner brushes for small lettering

Post by Doug Bernhardt »

Sounds like you have the answer. If you've seen a good video and are "inspired" try it out....although I'd practice a little on something else before taking on the real thing