Welcome to The Hand Lettering Forum!
This is an interactive Bulletin Board on the topics of Sign making, design, fabrication, History, old Books and of coarse Letterheads, Keepers of the craft. The Hand Lettering Forum features links to resources, sign art history, techniques, and artists profiles. Learn more about Letterheads at https://theletterheads.com. Below you'll see Mchat has been added as a live communication portal for trial, and the Main forum Links are listed below.

Bon Ami Cake - homemade formula

Hand Lettering topics: Sign Making, Design, Fabrication, Letterheads, Sign Books.

Moderators: Ron Percell, Mike Jackson, Danny Baronian

John Smith

Bon Ami Cake - homemade formula

Post by John Smith »

I contacted the Faultless Starch / Bon Ami company about any stray product they may have
and the answer was the same as other members have experienced:
Currently, there are no more Bon Ami soap cakes in stock and due to the labor intensive process,
it is not economical for them to produce it again at this time.

also - I was just informed that public posting of their Trademark and proprietary ingredients
and manufacturing process in such a manner as I did, was "borderline infringement".
so to err on the side of caution - that part of this post was deleted. (sorry folks).
[it was a new person in the company that shared it with me - and that person was in the wrong]

Kings Bay Signs
Kingsland, GA ~ 1980-2008 (Retired)
Paige Howarth

Re: Bon Ami Cake - homemade formula

Post by Paige Howarth »

Whenever I read a post along these lines, I think about the old Bon Ami mill complex down the road from where I live in Manchester, Connecticut, and wonder to myself if there are any cakes hiding somewhere... (In case anyone is ever in the neighborhood, there is now a large and wonderful toy & hobby store in that building called the Time Machine, and they run an incredible model train display each Sunday.)

Luckily, I have scored a few cakes on eBay over the years and a little goes a long, long way.
Kent Smith

Re: Bon Ami Cake - homemade formula

Post by Kent Smith »

in 2011, Faultless produced about 1800 cakes to celebrate their 125th Anniversary. Watch for these on Ebay and the like as they are original formula and as good as the originals. Hopefully there will be enough demand to encourage them to make more.