Welcome to The Hand Lettering Forum!
This is an interactive Bulletin Board on the topics of Sign making, design, fabrication, History, old Books and of coarse Letterheads, Keepers of the craft. The Hand Lettering Forum features links to resources, sign art history, techniques, and artists profiles. Learn more about Letterheads at https://theletterheads.com. Below you'll see Mchat has been added as a live communication portal for trial, and the Main forum Links are listed below.

glue chipped reverse paint

Hand Lettering topics: Sign Making, Design, Fabrication, Letterheads, Sign Books.

Moderators: Ron Percell, Mike Jackson, Danny Baronian

john stronski

glue chipped reverse paint

Post by john stronski »

Hello, I am new to the group and already need help.I want to make some glue chipped mirror signs for myself.
Question- After my glue chipping is done,I want to reverse paint a design and the word POPCORN in red using One-Shot bright red. Do I need to add Ronan Japan drier to the One-shot?

Next- After I silver the back [or do I silver then paint ?] Should I coat the entire back including the red letters with some type of white paint ?

Then after it dries, should I cover the back with a couple coats of asphaltum to protect the back from any scratches or scrapes ?

I want to end up with a Beveled edge around all 4 sides.. Is the bevel done before everything else or is the bevel done at the end of the chipping, silver, paint etc. Thank you for your Help, John.....
Chris Rummell

Re: glue chipped reverse paint

Post by Chris Rummell »

There is a tremendous amount of info accessible through the forum search function. You'll often find your question (and maybe some you didn't know to ask) has been answered to some degree in the past. A few answers to your specific questions about order of operations can be found in the post below:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2081&p=7702&hilit=s ... cess#p7702

Japan drier speeds up the drying process, but isn't necessary for One Shot. As for beveling, the general rule is to do any surface alterations first.

Good luck
john stronski

Post by john stronski »

Thank You So Much. I am very grateful for your input and assistance......
Doug Bernhardt

Post by Doug Bernhardt »

The technical questions this post opens up is huge beyond belief. I've been doing a lot of research the past year into paints and the research into them that's available.I'll do my best in the near future to summarize some of what I've discovered about our "treasured" and sacred cows.