Welcome to The Hand Lettering Forum!
This is an interactive Bulletin Board on the topics of Sign making, design, fabrication, History, old Books and of coarse Letterheads, Keepers of the craft. The Hand Lettering Forum features links to resources, sign art history, techniques, and artists profiles. Learn more about Letterheads at https://theletterheads.com. Below you'll see Mchat has been added as a live communication portal for trial, and the Main forum Links are listed below.

Dyed aluminum leaf

Hand Lettering topics: Sign Making, Design, Fabrication, Letterheads, Sign Books.

Moderators: Ron Percell, Mike Jackson, Danny Baronian

William Holohan

Dyed aluminum leaf

Post by William Holohan »

Old Forum Posts: on June 21, 2003

Dyed aluminum leaf

Carol
I just heard about dyed aluminum leaf. It looks stunning. Has anyone here used it?
Ron Percell
Carol,
We can help you with the product.
It’s packaged loose,100 leaves a book or 500 leaves a pak
Available in the following colors:
Blonde silver
honey silver
chartreuse
camel
dark bronze
artic blue
crimson red
aqua
cranberry red
ocean blue
light bronze
olive green
champagne pink
green mint
lavender
pewter
yellow green
blue green
You can contact me at 1-800-531-3359
Danny Baronian
There’s another way to get there too.
Dave McDonald did an article in Sign Business on a project called Wet Pets. If I remember correctly he carved a fish and gilded it with aluminum leaf. He then airbrushed or painted the fish with transparent ink or paint he bought from Esoteric. The result was a fish with a very shiny body with the colors of the fish. He also brought down a sign several years ago at on of the Conclaves and did a demo with the same materials. Someone may have pictures of that to post.
While I haven’t seen the product Carol refers too, using a transparent ink or paint over the aluminum was might be a good alternative.
Danny
baronian
I believe Bruce Jackson and his site has been mentioned on this board before. If you haven’t visited his site, you should visit at http://goldreverre.com/. It not only has some great samples, he’s posted information on the processes included on the site.
He has done some remarkable work both with leaf straigh out of the package to chemical fuming leaf.
If he’s checking in here, he might be able to shed some light on dyed aluminum leaf.
Danny

vance galliher
......i sent bruce an e-mail.......maybe he’ll reply....good timing for this question....i leafed letters with aluminum yesterday.....look great, but what if i could patina them now ?.......we in oregon recently saw an oregon public broadcast of a portland gilder who mentioned using dyed aluminum leaf......vance

Ron Percell
Carol,
sorry the link didnt work
Neat stuff, it’s Japanesse, it’s dipped in plastic and the color holds up quite a while.
Danny Busselle
OK suprise me where’s the link? or info about dyed aluminum leaf, No this is the first I have heard of it. Would like 25 leaves to find out how good the stuff is. I have 50/50 leaf from Japan it is not easy as you may think to work with .
Carol
sorry about that link. It isn’t for the leaf it was for me! (slaps forehead with open palm). I’ll see if I can get it right this time.
I don’t know a source for the leaf, but I’d like to hear of one if anyone else does.
Lee?

Billy Bob
Innes Sepp had all of the colors a few years ago when I got a sample swatch sheet (w. all of the colors) from her. Sepp Leaf (in NY) probably still has it. I think you had to buy a full pack, no single books. There were many beautiful colors available.

Carol
Not Sepp. I just talked to them.
Carol
I checked the Sepp web site and it didn’t have much information. I’m going to phone them tomorrow.
In the mean time, if you’re in the OPB broadcast area Oregon Art Beat is repeated tonight at 6.