Welcome to The Hand Lettering Forum!
This is an interactive Bulletin Board on the topics of Sign making, design, fabrication, History, old Books and of coarse Letterheads, Keepers of the craft. The Hand Lettering Forum features links to resources, sign art history, techniques, and artists profiles. Learn more about Letterheads at https://theletterheads.com. Below you'll see Mchat has been added as a live communication portal for trial, and the Main forum Links are listed below.

Paint Addatives

Hand Lettering topics: Sign Making, Design, Fabrication, Letterheads, Sign Books.

Moderators: Ron Percell, Mike Jackson, Danny Baronian

Site Man

Paint Addatives

Post by Site Man »

OLD FORUM POSTS

Posted by Mike Jackson on July 24, 2004
It is hot here (especially relative to our normal summer highs)...about 94 degrees. I know it was hotter in the summer in Oklahoma and especially TEXAS.

Just for the purpose of discussion, does anyone add anything to their paint in the summer to help flow, slow drying, or use any special kinds of thinner? How about hardeners? or fish-eye eliminator?

Anything different in the winter?

Mike Jackson
Young T. Kim
I am looking for paint additives which can improve luster and/or adhesive strength for enamel paint regenerated.
I am looking forward to hearing from anyone who can provide me information on appropriate materials for the purpose.

Young T. Kim
PKing
I use redarders when the AIR is hot and dry.
Reducers when hot and humid.
Flow enhancers when both substrate and air is hot.
Dispersants when both are humid
Mike Jackson
Hi P!
Do you have favorite brands for each item listed?
Sources?

Thanks for the response. Nice to see ya' here.

Mike Jackson
PKING
RETARDER...Linseed Oil
REDUCER....High Temp (one shot)
FLOW ENHANCER...Turpenoil
DISPERSANT... Kerosene

Hope this helps
Mike Jackson
Thanks Pat!
Mike Jackson
Jon Harl
I pallet from taboret and a cup of O-Shot with a tuna can of O-Shot High Temp Reducer to slow my pallet from gumming. (if that makes sense) So I dip in the Reducer when necessary then in the O-Shot then to my pallet. I'll add turps to the O-Shot for consistency at first (just a couple of drops) and a couple of drops of Reducer. If it's cold O-Shot Low Temp Reducer speeds the drying. I use O-Shot Hardener if I'm going to spray clear UV Speed Dry Clear over the enamel or brush clearor I want the O-Shot to set up quickly.
Billy Bob
Flow-trol (h2o) here. Penetrol (for enamels) too.

I've been wondering, does Penetrol hasten drying or slow it down?

My neighbor treats his (pressure treated) fence w. Penetrol to "weather proof" it. Does that work? What else could it be good for?