Welcome to The Hand Lettering Forum!
This is an interactive Bulletin Board on the topics of Sign making, design, fabrication, History, old Books and of coarse Letterheads, Keepers of the craft. The Hand Lettering Forum features links to resources, sign art history, techniques, and artists profiles. Learn more about Letterheads at https://theletterheads.com. Below you'll see Mchat has been added as a live communication portal for trial, and the Main forum Links are listed below.

The Gilder's Tip

Hand Lettering topics: Sign Making, Design, Fabrication, Letterheads, Sign Books.

Moderators: Ron Percell, Mike Jackson, Danny Baronian

Site Man

The Gilder's Tip

Post by Site Man »

OLD FORUM POSTS

Posted by Tony Segale on August 08, 2003
I just received my quartly journal of the Society of Gilders, "The Gilder's Tip" (Frances Binnington, Editor and Production). Inside this issue are two tributes to Rick Glawson, one by Kent Smith and one by Brendon Brandon.
Plus a nice photo of Rick, standing and wearing a "Letterfest" t-shirt, and holding one of his proud pieces in the shape of a shield, the "Boiled Mutton, Range Canning Co" glass.
Very nice, Frances.
Rick Sacks
I also miss Bill Davidson. He printed those Letterfest shirts for one of our meets, and did a stary sky background that lit up at night when it got dark and surprised us all. Bill moved to Australia....a vary distant land.

One thing that I had exposure to at Conclaves was a diversified approach to gilding. The UK crowd did their traditional method with a cushion and a knife. Many of us US's, used a card and a fingernail or guitar pick. Then there were those unconventional few that flipped leaf directly from the book onto the water size. The latter method seemed the fastest and required less apparatus, but I still prefer doing it in the tradition I first learned.
D. Bernhardt
Never get tired of hearing about the boss. Am at loose ends here as my steady supply of SignBiz was interupted by my move last fall.Just got the first issue in quite a while today and was of course hoping for a terrific article on him. (sigh)Will have to wait for all the back issues ordered to appear.
Have noticed some silent and seismic changes in our industry this past 9 or so months. My take is that Rick and Lola's meet was of enormous influence in it's own quiet way,and with it's passing has creating a vacuum. Ideas and things that would have happened or been created now won't be.

Danny Baronian
Doug, on another post you put in you're 2 cents worth, is that Canadian? If so, at the current rate that's worth a little over a cent and a quarter!

On this post, I agree that the Conclave had a tremendous impact on our trade. But I have to respectively disagree on the last part "Ideas and things that would have happened or been created now won't be". Certainly some, but not all.

There are too many talented people to mention that are still here to make an impact, inspire, innovate and push us to stretch ourselves and our trade.

The information that has been gathered and posted is one step towards filling that vacuum.

Shortly after Rick's death, Larry Whan made a post that said: "Rick was a great inspiration to all of us and I'm sure he would prefer we celebrate his life rather than morn his death."

I'd say part of that celebration is to continue the work he so freely shared with us.

Just my 2 cents worth, U.S.