Welcome to The Hand Lettering Forum!
This is an interactive Bulletin Board on the topics of Sign making, design, fabrication, History, old Books and of coarse Letterheads, Keepers of the craft. The Hand Lettering Forum features links to resources, sign art history, techniques, and artists profiles. Learn more about Letterheads at https://theletterheads.com. Below you'll see Mchat has been added as a live communication portal for trial, and the Main forum Links are listed below.

Why we don't particularly like doing vehicle lettering

Hand Lettering topics: Sign Making, Design, Fabrication, Letterheads, Sign Books.

Moderators: Ron Percell, Mike Jackson, Danny Baronian

Mike Jackson
Site Admin

Why we don't particularly like doing vehicle lettering

Post by Mike Jackson »

It is 10:30 AM and we are waiting for a van to show up that was scheduled over a week ago. The customer picked the date. Darla called about an hour ago and just got the answering machine.

We have plenty of other things to do today, but we both set up our days to be here all day to complete the project. Now it looks like we will have to schedule another similar day and hope they show up.

Without sounding too negative, here are a few reasons I dislike working on vehicles:

1: They schedule but don't show up.
2: They show up late but still want it done by 5:00
3: They show up with an inch of red mud caked on the vehicle. Still want it by 5:00.
4: They show up, with decals or gum residue from a previous signs.
5: Working around the handles, molding, mirrors and so forth can be a pain.
6: Many are abusive to the job once it goes out, expecting us to fix big scratches they put in the vehicle for next to nothing.
7: You rush around all day to get the job done by 5:00 PM and they show up the next day.
8: We like MDO and flat painted panels because we can shuffle them through our schedule and work around Teacher Conferences, Plays, and so forth.
9: Some automotive finishes aren't too paint friendly.
10: etc

You can probably add a few, but we all go through it, even when we ask them to be on time and show up with a clean vehicle.
Mike Jackson / co-administrator
Golden Era Studios
Vintage Ornamental Clip art
Jackson Hole, WY

Photography site:
Teton Images
Jackson Hole photography blog:
Best of the Tetons
Doug Fielder

Been there...

Post by Doug Fielder »

Hey Mike,

When I was apprenticing with Harry Henkel, we did mostly truck lettering (you know the Jersey thing, in Jersey), and I can tell you storyies for hours! The photo is of one of our most Notorious clients, not only did we have to drive 40 minutes through city traffic into Newark!, we would be told yeh, the trucks here.... then we'd get there and guess what... No Truck! Oh, it will be here in a half hour.... 4 hours later, why don't you come back tomorrow, it will be back then. During the waiting, we'd letter the mechanic's toolboxes, touch-up chipped paint etc. And another time there was a shoot out in front of the building! Talk about the Sopranos!

I have learned not to trust people, if they say the van will be there at such and such time, I will be sure I am ready for it, but will work on other things until that van pulls in the driveway. If I have to wash it I tell them I will charge them $65/hr, they usually take it to a car was then.

Other one liners...
There's no wax on it
Can I wash it tomorrow
I don't like it, can you do something else? (actual occurance! while I was outlining the goldleaf)
How long will it take?
Can we make a run with it tonight and have it back in the morning? (have actualy done this too, how funny to see a garbage truck with the paintmask still on the sides while doing his route!)
Hey can you add this and that...yada yada.
This looks great, can you just do this and that too (Glen Weisgerber (Legendary truck letterer) then tells him that he is going to get his camera before he adds anything, because he likes it the way it is) They usually change their mind then.
Do whatever you want..... Oh, i don't like that...

It's always the same, and they wonder why we have bad attitudes! It is funny because if it was their client, they would have a fit!
I think we should do as doctors and hotels do, charge canellation fees. I kind of do, I just raise the price :twisted:

Doug F.
FALLOUT Grafix
Port St Lucie, FL

Formerly from NJ, Formerly from VT,
Formerly from SF, CA, Formerly from NC,
Formerly from CO, FINALLY settled in FL!
Mike Jackson
Site Admin

Post by Mike Jackson »

A quick follow up:

The guy never showed up with the truck. After getting the answering machine telling her they would be back in town this weekend, Darla concluded she must have transposed last Tuesday for next Tuesday. It might be a good idea to adopt a technique the dentists use of calling with a reminder the day before a scheduled appointment is supposed to happen.

Darla had three trucks lined up today. They were all easy vinyl jobs using artwork we had already prepared. It snowed overnight, so all three trucks came into the small garage soaking wet and continued to drip as the snow melted. The first truck came in with the old vinyl signs still on the doors, even though she had suggested they remove them beforehand. We charged to remove them, of course, and at least it didn't delay or affect the later jobs. They are bringing another one tomorrow.

The other two were mostly clean when they came in, but had some snow melting and dripping. They went smoothly. The guy was on time and picked them up right away. He said he would be by in the morning with the check.

Mike
Mike Jackson / co-administrator
Golden Era Studios
Vintage Ornamental Clip art
Jackson Hole, WY

Photography site:
Teton Images
Jackson Hole photography blog:
Best of the Tetons
alan johnson

Post by alan johnson »

I love doing vehicles! I don't do signs because when you come down from the leader the boss just left and no one can give you a check. I have the keyes to the vehicle ,No check no keyes! But I am known to be like"the lettering- striping nazi," NO striping for you, NEXT! I simply have the customer drop it off the night before , in the office is a sign that says "$100.00 per minute for washin & sticker removal" but then I'm from Jersey and if they don't like it that's tough, NEXT no waiting NEXT!
"Maintain"
curt stenz

Post by curt stenz »

I love truck lettering. It is pure profit. An ounce or two of 1-shot and thinner, surface prep fluid, some rags and several yards of tape.
Curt Stenz
joe crumley

Post by joe crumley »

I think all you guys are correct. There's probably good money in vehicle lettering. Some folks even make a living doing just that.

For me, it's not very good. I love jobs that takes time. Lots of it. The kind of work where I can move through the project, solving problems as they arrive.

Each morning when I come to work, I have a cup of coffe and plan out the steps for the day. That's as close to heaven as it comes.

Vehicle lettering, usually has a time frame on it, and that gives me the He-Wo-Jeebes. So there lots of that left for others to do and for them to make big money.

Joe
Doug Fielder

That's GREAT!

Post by Doug Fielder »

Alan, you are just too much!

Hey, isn't that sign done in vinyl?

JUST KIDDING!
Doug F.
FALLOUT Grafix
Port St Lucie, FL

Formerly from NJ, Formerly from VT,
Formerly from SF, CA, Formerly from NC,
Formerly from CO, FINALLY settled in FL!