Welcome to The Hand Lettering Forum!
This is an interactive Bulletin Board on the topics of Sign making, design, fabrication, History, old Books and of coarse Letterheads, Keepers of the craft. The Hand Lettering Forum features links to resources, sign art history, techniques, and artists profiles. Learn more about Letterheads at https://theletterheads.com. Below you'll see Mchat has been added as a live communication portal for trial, and the Main forum Links are listed below.

Great site for old images, Photos, info on Glass embossing

Hand Lettering topics: Sign Making, Design, Fabrication, Letterheads, Sign Books.

Moderators: Ron Percell, Mike Jackson, Danny Baronian

Site Man

Great site for old images, Photos, info on Glass embossing

Post by Site Man »

OLD FORUM POSTS

Posted by Gary Godby on November 13, 2003
I recently ran across this site which has an endless array of images including, Ephemera, Posters, Billboards, you name it! Most are a copyright free (High Res) download.
When you go to the site link...go to "Search". As an example, type in "Sign Painter", or "Glass Embossing". You'll see photographic images as well as informative text.
There are also great images in the "Cigar-Tobacco" section too, (not to mention "Baseball Cards).
You'll need some real spare time to explore this site!

American Memory - Library of Congress
http://lcweb2.loc.gov/

Let me know what you think!
Tony Segale
Ok, maybe 15 minutes a day. I just spent my lunch break visiting that site. So much info...

For fun, go to SEARCH, type in "sign painters" and choose the second choice that comes up....
"WPA Life History / Sign Painters" and read the eleven page interview with Chicago Sign Painter Abe Aaron. Quite a few chuckles and the old saying "the more things change, the more they remain the same". Very entertaining interview.
Thanks for the link, Gary
Tony
Larry White
I don't really have a life time to troll through this site. So if any of you that do find some nice images of graphic layouts on trade cards or old signage, or anything along those lines I'd love to receive a copy. Just send them on over to me at: whitel@iname.com ...it'd be very much appreciated.

Thanks, Larry
Ron Berlier
Gary, thanks for the new Gold mine. However, I have to disagree with you and Mike ... it might take TWO lifetimes to get through all that's available. (-:

Ron
Gary Godby

typical image (hope this works).
Gary Godby

Here's a little larger image
Mike Jackson - Paragon Sign

Hi Gary,
Looks like you could spend... oh, about the rest of your life going through that site! Here's a nice little design I found without much effort.

Mike
Gary Godby

Mike,
Try a word search on "Album" in the advertising - Multiformat catagory.

Here's an example