Welcome to The Hand Lettering Forum!
This is an interactive Bulletin Board on the topics of Sign making, design, fabrication, History, old Books and of coarse Letterheads, Keepers of the craft. The Hand Lettering Forum features links to resources, sign art history, techniques, and artists profiles. Learn more about Letterheads at https://theletterheads.com. Below you'll see Mchat has been added as a live communication portal for trial, and the Main forum Links are listed below.

Download John Yarnell's Rawson & Evans Corina Cigars Fil

Hand Lettering topics: Sign Making, Design, Fabrication, Letterheads, Sign Books.

Moderators: Ron Percell, Mike Jackson, Danny Baronian

Site Man

Download John Yarnell's Rawson & Evans Corina Cigars Fil

Post by Site Man »

OLD FORUM POSTS

Posted by Mike Jackson on December 11, 2003

John Yarnell recently sent me a vectorized image for download from this site. Click the link below to go directly to the Rawson and Evans download page and follow the simple instructions.

Thanks to John and the rest!

Rawson & Evans Download

http://www.theletterheads.com/lhparts/r ... loads.html

Mike Jackson

Pat Mackle
Is there any way other than gageing the gluechip to know the actual size of these panels?
Pat
Mike Jackson

Pat,
I think you are asking about the size of the original Rawson & Evans pieces... and not the size of the downloaded file. Right? The downloaded file can be resized to any size, limited only by the capabilities of the plotter.

Danny Baronian and I talked about the question of the sizes of the originals not long ago. I created the United Cigar artwork to fit on a 10" wide piece of glass originally, and that was done off a photograph in an old ST magazine ad. Somehow, I think many of us have always assumed that piece was similar in size to the ones we made, but it wouldn't surprise me if the actual original piece was 6 feet tall.

The photo above shows a close up of the sign Jeff Lang did using my download file. It clearly shows that WE can go pretty small with our high tech stencil and fine tipped sandblast units, but I don't recall too many of the old Rawson pieces Rick had with extremely small elements and detailing.

There is a good chance the original Corina sign was as large as 4' x 6' based on the historical photos of their store front projects. I'd have to dig around to try to find an actual photo of the Corina panel, or from an ad.

The bottom line is I really don't know the original sizes, but I am betting they were much larger than we might originally imagine.

Hope this helps,
Mike Jackson
Robin Sharrard
Thanks Mike for posting these files, and to those who are willing to share the fruits of their labor. This will be an interesting project. Robin